• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Can men see fashion and patterns?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

Ok, here is the question, is it me or are other men completely blind to “patterns” and “fashion?” I mean, if a women picks up two plates in a store and asks, “Which pattern do you like better?” Do you just see two round, white plates like me? I’m also equally confused with “decorative items” in a home. If something doesn’t have a useful purpose, why do I need it, and even worst, DISPLAY it?

Follow up questions...

What the hell is a "duvet" and what does it do?

Why are some pillows called "throw pillows," yet I get in trouble if I throw them?

Speaking of pillows, why the HELL do women put so many of them on the bed? Are you trying to hide the bed? (Duvet, comforter, and all?)

Don't even get me started on the fuction of a "Sham!"

To be frank, I have a dishwasher in my kitchen that has only been used to clean guns and car parts. My oven has seen more time as a powercoating booth than a bakery! I guess this goes a long way to explain why I'm single. :thankyou:
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:01 AM

Oh lord moose...I think it does! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

I'm not very fashion conscious. I'm still using the same stoneware my long-ago GF and I bought over 30 years ago... and still love it. Haven't seen anything better since. China is beyond me... this is casual SoCal. Don't use stuff that would just sit in the cabinet most of the year.

When I bought my condo and starting planning how to decorate it, my then GF (do you see a pattern there... "then" GF's?) couldn't see how it would work. Once it all came together, she liked it. So do most people who visit the house.

However, I don't plan on ever decorating another place (except my grass shack on some tropical beach). Once is enough.

Attached Images

• 107_Tremont_living_room_07sm.jpg
  • 107_Tremont_living_room_05sm.jpg

#4 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

Here's the deal Moose - while you think you may not be able to see it (one day you may just suprise yourself when you do and develop a preferance) you need to participate if it is important to her just as you want your partner to participate in some things in your life. You don't need to know why, you just need to support what is important to the other person. Since you have no preference, chances are that tastes will not conflict. With this being said, however, you really do need to form an opinion after actually looking at the items presented to you by seeing them and deciding what you do prefer. While this may not come naturally to you, it does become easier with time. Since a household is for both people participation from the other side is appreciated.

Now, as for your specific questions...

Duvet: the insert part for a cover that is on the bed. Often made of down but can also be made from a synthetic material.

Duvet cover: The fabric cover that goes over the duvet which generally matches a bedding set

Comforter: Designed to replace the duvet and cover. An all in one system that is generally filled with synthetic material. One generally has a duvet and cover OR a comforter but not both.

Sham - a decorative pillow cover

Throw pillow - a smaller decorative pillow. Generally not for throwing unless in a pillow fight. Often covered with fancier materials and patterns

The function: to make the bed look nice when made. No more, now less. Oh yeah, and they also seem to act as great nesting material for my dog...

Attached Images

• Oliver_in_pillows.jpg

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

If something doesn’t have a useful purpose, why do I need it, and even worst, DISPLAY it?

Define "useful." I have paintings photographs and a Horseshoe crab on my walls I also have displays of shells, fossils (shark teeth) and other cool looking items. They are useful only in that they are decorative, but useful to me none the less. Of course I also display useful items as well, like double hose regulators and books.

Learn to cook, man. Doesn't matter if you clean dsishes in the dishwasher or by hand as long as you clean them. Women love it when a man can cook.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

Learn to cook, man. Doesn't matter if you clean dsishes in the dishwasher or by hand as long as you clean them. Women love it when a man can cook.

This is very true! At the very least, we love it when a man can provide competent assistance in the kitchen...

#7 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

There are a lot of men with great sense of style and a lot of women who would have no idea how to contrast two disparate patterns.

The thing is, your home should be a place that you're comfortable in.

In a recent conversation I told a friend that I was going to build a house on my land. He asked about it and I explained that I may have to start out with a studio type cabin and then add on at a later date. His reply, "You're going to build a shack and add a shack later? Why don't you just build a real house?" Ouch! So, does that mean he'll like me less if I live in what he perceives as a shack? I don't know what his house looks like; maybe it's a mini-mansion. Then I think, maybe I'm out of my league here. No, wait! This person is obviously very materialistic and concerned more about what others. I'm being practical and living within my means. If I'm happy with my studio type cabin shack that's all that matters!

After all, fancy house? diving? fancy house? diving? You know that outcome!

#8 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:15 PM

Hey Moose, you don't need to cook in the kitchen, as long as you know how to keep it clean. But cooking well, that is a plus. :thankyou:

#9 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hey Moose, you don't need to cook in the kitchen, as long as you know how to keep it clean. But cooking well, that is a plus. :thankyou:

Ditto! A man who will wipe the stove surface off scores big for me....I've always thought the inability to perform this simple task had to be tied to a locus on the Y chromosome.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#10 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

With this being said, however, you really do need to form an opinion after actually looking at the items presented to you by seeing them and deciding what you do prefer.

My only opinion is formed out of function. This was an actually conversation between me and an Ex…

My SO. “Which of these two plate sets do you like?”
Me, “They both look almost identical.”
SO, “No that one is royal blue, that one is Navy.”
Me, ”Uh, well that set has bigger bowls. So those.” (Note for reader, when I eat ice cream, I eat ICE CREAM!)
SO, “Ugh, that’s not what I’m asking. Which pattern do you like better?” :thankyou:
Me, (just giving up and picking one.) “That one.”
SO, “You have no taste, why do I bother?” She then picked the other one. But I knew she would so I picked the pattern of the smaller bowl set and ended up with the larger bowls that I wanted in the first place! 8>)

Duvet: the insert part for a cover that is on the bed. Often made of down but can also be made from a synthetic material.

Duvet cover: The fabric cover that goes over the duvet which generally matches a bedding set

So let me see if I understand this. I make the bed. The bed is now covered by the top blanket (often referred to as “covers”). But that coverage isn’t adequate, so now I have to cover THAT cover, with a Duvet. But, wait, now the poor little Duvet is just hanging out, all unprotected, so I need to cover the Duvet that is covering the Covers!!! :P

HOLD ON, it’s not over yet, the Duvet cover isn’t enough, throw 40 pounds of pillows (all of which have covers on them) on to the bed. Oh, and don’t forget, some of those pillows need a special covers (Shams!) :wakawaka:

Where does it end? Is my bed the target of a kamikaze crash that I’m going to single handily prevent with all this bedding?
I need a spare bedroom just to move the stuff off the bed so I can sleep there.
Then, I need to put them all there again tomorrow night. No wonder I need a maid!

(Note, I’m still working on Walter’s advice to “tease often.” :P

Define "useful." I have paintings photographs and a Horseshoe crab on my walls I also have displays of shells, fossils (shark teeth) and other cool looking items. They are useful only in that they are decorative, but useful to me none the less. Of course I also display useful items as well, like double hose regulators and books.

Ok, this is different, if it’s something from YOUR past, like a special painting of a place you’ve been (or painted.) Maybe the horseshoe crab was from a beach that you go to all the time. The shark’s tooth maybe one that you found (or you like sharks.) I can understand that. But what does a 6 inch high statue of a little boy have to do with my house?

One other thing, I never said I can’t cook. In fact, I make awesome reservations! Seriously, when I first moved in my house, the neighbors (an elderly couple) invited me over for dinner. The next night I reciprocated and had them over my house. That night, she spent in the hospital with, what she maintains was “a stomach virus.” But I’m sure she is sparing my feelings and not saying, “food poisoning!” :D

I do make great breakfast, but I can’t seem to do much else.

Oh, I always wash my dishes after I use them. There are never dirty dishes in my sink. I don’t like that at all. But that is why I have no use for a dishwasher. In fact, past girlfriends often make a deal with me. They cook and I clean up. It’s fair and I always dig it!
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#11 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:59 PM

Ok, here is the question, is it me or are other men completely blind to “patterns” and “fashion?” I mean, if a women picks up two plates in a store and asks, “Which pattern do you like better?” Do you just see two round, white plates like me? I’m also equally confused with “decorative items” in a home. If something doesn’t have a useful purpose, why do I need it, and even worst, DISPLAY it

Moose - I don't think it's a male/female thing. I think that it's simply that patterns on a plate are not on your list of things important enough for you to expend any thought on. As cmt489 mentioned, the important thing is that the patterns on the plate are important to the women, therefore if you care about this women than you assist her in selecting a pattern even if it isn't important to you. Another example: My son is comparing two different pieces of hunting equipment in a catalog, and he shows me the two pieces and describes to me all the pros and cons of each one. I know absolutely nothing about the things he is showing me, and I couldn't care less. However, I ask him questions about each one to try to help him make the decision that he will be happy with.

Are you saying that you have absolutely no decorative items in your home because they have no purpose? I personally think that decorative items have a very important purpose. They bring us enjoyment. If all our walls and shelfs were bare, it would be a pretty boring place to exist. The art and decorative items in our homes are a reflection of ourselves and the things that we find interesting, beautiful, and unique. Unless you are involved with commercial diving, then Scuba Diving really has no useful purpose. We dive anyway because it is enjoyable. Enjoyment is purpose enough.

Maybe you can explain this one to me....Some men (not all men, I do not mean to generalize) do not know how to dress properly for a given occasion. I don't know how many times I have had to tell a grown man how to get dressed for an occasion. To some men, blue jeans are appropriate for any occasion. They see no purpose in putting on a button up shirt and a decent pair of pants, or a suit..God Forbid! It would be so nice to go out, and have the man I'm with just simply put on the right clothes without having to tell him what to wear like he was a 6 year old.

#12 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:08 PM

People focus on what is important to them.

Personally I am minimalist to an extreme. However, in my youth I had a stay-at-home mother who liked to sew and who liked to shop. So learned china and crystal patterns, and I could tell the difference between a vogue and simplicty pattern by age 9. I learned textiles before I was in middle school, and was hanging curtains and sheers when I needed a stool to reach the ironing board. I had my first GQ subscription at age 14. It was "rounding".

I feel bad for many men, because it was not a world they were introduced to, and they would feel as lost in a conversation about Dooney or Prada, as a woman would in a conversation about Bear Bryant.

I would encourage men to try to spend some time finding the beauty in things. And I would likewise encourage women to get some dirt under their nails from time to time. The balance each brings to life is wonderfully liberating.

#13 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

Of course, it is been my experience that the real deal-breaker between men and women when it comes to decorating is not the duvet/shams/pillow issue, but the fuzzy toilet seat cover. Men are just so afraid that fuzzy lid will cause that lid to come crashing down on their delicate, prized parts! Hence, to make those of the male persuasion feel safe in my bathrooms, I decided to keep my bathrooms fuzzy-toilet-seat-cover-free.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:22 PM

It would be so nice to go out, and have the man I'm with just simply put on the right clothes without having to tell him what to wear like he was a 6 year old.

Is this why you don't date? LOL! (I'll wear a suit when appropriate without being told, but I do wear the mermaid tie with it)
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

Of course, it is been my experience that the real deal-breaker between men and women when it comes to decorating is not the duvet/shams/pillow issue, but the fuzzy toilet seat cover. Men are just so afraid that fuzzy lid will cause that lid to come crashing down on their delicate, prized parts! Hence, to make those of the male persuasion feel safe in my bathrooms, I decided to keep my bathrooms fuzzy-toilet-seat-cover-free.

:cool1: :elf: :welcome: :taz: finally, someone who get's it!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users