• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Sept 20-27, 2008 WILD Dolphin & SINGLES AT SEA WEEK Bahamas Expedition

• Please log in to reply
448 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

What airline is most taken for this trip?? I was trying to check prices. Would be from Houston.
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#17 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:43 PM

I really want to go on this one. Dolphins make me smile. Count me in! I renewed my Premier membership already. Thanks!

I have decided not to go. Thanks anyway.

#18 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:16 AM

With mixing in snorkle time with the dolphins -- can you estimate a minimum number of tank dives this trip would have if all (weather) went well?

I would like mingle with Flipper, but not miss too many tank dives.

Bimini - more than Dolphins is getting my attention.

Squid

Edited by Houston Squid, 17 March 2008 - 02:52 PM.

Signature under construction :)

#19 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:33 AM

I should have put I am INTERESTED. I know that's a code word for good things to happen. :cheerleader:

#20 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

I would like to Flipper, but not miss too many tanks either.

Yeah... If they don't like our bubbles that is their problem... :cheerleader:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#21 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

I've done 4-5 trips to Bimini in the last 10-12 years, and it's a pretty interesting place. Not much to do topside (think Gilligan's Island), but the diving is world class. Make sure they take you down south for the diving near Cat Cay - there are some spectacular walls there. I also recommend the wreck of the Sapona (the only wreck that I have dove where you can do a penetration and still be in open water), and a night dive on The Strip (it's a dive site - really).

Also recommend that you fly in on Chalk's - that's a fun experience if you've never done it before.

How recently have you done Chalk's? I assume you're talking about the seaplane operation Chalk's used to have as a fun experience. They seem to have had some issues since their 2005 crash... They also seem to be reselling other airlines' flights, but I can't even get flights to show up on their booking page using days from their timetable.

NTSB:

In-flight Separation of Right Wing
Flying Boat, Inc. (doing business as
Chalk’s Ocean Airways) Flight 101
Grumman Turbo Mallard (G-73T), N2969
Port of Miami, Florida
December 19, 2005

NTSB Number AAR-07/04
NTIS Number PB2007-910405

Executive Summary: On December 19, 2005, about 1439 eastern standard time, a Grumman Turbo Mallard (G-73T) amphibious airplane, N2969, operated by Flying Boat, Inc., doing business as Chalk’s Ocean Airways flight 101, crashed into a shipping channel adjacent to the Port of Miami, Florida, shortly after takeoff from the Miami Seaplane Base. Flight 101 was a regularly scheduled passenger flight to Bimini, Bahamas, with 2 flight crewmembers and 18 passengers on board. The airplane’s right wing separated during flight. All 20 people aboard the airplane were killed, and the airplane was destroyed by impact forces. Flight 101 was operating under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 121 on a visual flight rules flight plan. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the in-flight failure and separation of the right wing during normal flight, which resulted from (1) the failure of the Chalk’s Ocean Airways maintenance program to identify and properly repair fatigue cracks in the right wing and (2) the failure of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to detect and correct deficiencies in the company’s maintenance program.

Chalk's Wikipedia page (trust at your peril, but this paragraph is fairly well sourced):

The airline suspended operations after the crash of Chalk's Ocean Airways Flight 101 on December 19, 2005. The airline had planned to resume flights between Fort Lauderdale and the Bahamas on November 9, 2006, but its airworthiness certificate issued by the Bahamas had expired. As of mid-November 2006, it is flying from Fort Lauderdale to Key West and to St. Petersburg, Florida, using aircraft "wet leased" from and operated by Big Sky Airlines. Chalk's added flights between Palm Beach International Airport (PBIA) and destinations in the Bahamas in late May, 2007, but carried only 14 passengers through PBIA in August, 2007. Chalk's ceased flying from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport after September 3, 2007. The US Department of Transportation revoked Chalk's flying license on September 30, 2007 because the company had failed to obtain recertification for its Mallards, or obtain other planes of its own.

#22 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

Bumping this -- need details?

#23 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

Squidley dear...have you try calling Mrs. Wenchie?

#24 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

Following up on my post, from chatting with the Explorer Ventures folks at Beneath the Sea, I think that this arrives/leaves from Freeport. Not 100% certain, but seems more plausible than getting into Bimini

This seems to be incorrect for our date, per http://www.explorerv...p1/dolphin.html

#25 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:34 AM

I will only get one chance at a vacation this year and I suspect this trip will be the one. Besides I cannot let Squiddy hit the high seas alone. :wakawaka:

Let us know when the trip details are set and I can make arrangements.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#26 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:01 PM

I sent a PM -- but she must be busy ... I was hoping one of her assistants would notice this and dangle us a line.

I am trying to balance a cruise, a Flower Gardens Trip and this Bimini trip in September. If I knew this was for sure I would give my Flower Gardens trip (Non-SD) up to a couple trying to go on it.

Squid

#27 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

I sent a PM -- but she must be busy ... I was hoping one of her assistants would notice this and dangle us a line.

I am trying to balance a cruise, a Flower Gardens Trip and this Bimini trip in September. If I knew this was for sure I would give my Flower Gardens trip (Non-SD) up to a couple trying to go on it.

Squid

I guess by "assistants" you mean people such as myself. I wish I could help, but I just don't have an answer for you. Kamala is getting caught up after a few days off, so stay tuned.

#28 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

I'm fine here -- my bumps were just to keep this topic in the forefront for purely selfish reasons - :teeth:

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

This trip is a go...and I got NC posted yesterday so this and Single's week in Roatan are next...getting closer.

Ok back to grindstone...next time I come up for air it will be to post one of those two trips and then I'll finish the next trip on the list!

I promise....kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#30 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

I slated my vacation time for this period last week and there were no horrid screams from my boss. So I am a go for this trip. I even get to use my free airfare coupon to get there. :welcome:

All I need now is a roomie... :welcome:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users