• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SOLD OUT!!! NC July 3-7, 2008...SD's Farewell to the Graveyard of the Atlantic!

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#46 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

:hiya: :wavey: I thought I looked and asked for this trip for about...6 MONTHS NOW, now I don't know if I want to go. NOT :excl: :excl: :excl: You had better put me down for this trip ( with mucho-grande tanks---120 def. ok) :thankyou: but I still need to know if it's straight-up 3 days or the traditional optional extra day of :diver: diving. I am still going from here to the Dry Tortugas :2cool: trip so, I Need To Know :helpsmily:
Thank You :thankyou: :thankyou: Jeff

:cool1: Way cool that you're going to join us!! I will get back to you about the number of days, but for now we'll go ahead and get you on the list! D/O or S/O?

Hey Jeff...its only 3 days of diving this year. If we can get 10 people who want to do a 4th day then we can make that happen too. I figure with only 3 days we can get to Key West with less issues and maybe even dive a day there before the Dry Tortugas trip!

And I already know the answer...d/o for you! Put him on the list DiverDeb!

As for 120's...I'll see what I can do. But for sure you'll have steel 100's! :cool1:

See Deb?
This is why the smart divers dive with SD. We don't even have to log on and the Great
Trip Coordinators
(like yourself)know what we want :cool2: :lmao: I'll get the forms filled out this weekend. I'll be diving Nitrox 6 x $19. Do we need to bring towels or linens ? Can't wait to dive NC again :lmao: :-D
Jeff

Hee! Hee! It pays to be a 'regular'! :lmao: But I'd rather 'assume' for you in the thread and have you verify then otherwise...if ya know what I mean! :cool2:

No towels or sheets needed...this is a regular Motel and not the shared bunkhouse we were in the last time.

As for bottles...like I said I'll get the biggest tanks I can for you guys! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#47 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:22 AM

Are you bringing your own deco bottles? Or will you need to rent them? If so, what size? WW probably already knows this, but I'm checking anyway. :lmao:

I actually had a question about this (assuming I am even able to dive on this trip!). I noticed the trip description says something to the effect that "tech lite" divers are welcome, and that stage/pony bottles are OK. My preferred gas for the depths we are talking about would be a 30/30 trimix, and I would probably go with double 80s and possibly a stage. I like the doubles for NC diving, since I only have to set them up once at the dock (I get seasick very easily, so the less gear fiddling I have to do between dives, the better!). I'm not necessarily interested in doing any sort of deco dive (although it wouldn't bother me to, assuming I am paired with a similar experienced and equipped buddy).

My real concern is over space on the boat - I am assuming there is a practical limit to how much gas we can bring, since it's booked as a "mostly recreational" charter. So I am wondering what the constraints are on how many bottles (and what size). Would two stage bottles be OK, in addition to the doubles? One stage, one deco? 80s vs 40s?

Inquiring minds want to know!

(Addendum - I would be bringing all my own bottles, so rentals and gas fills are not an issue).

-JimG

Edited by JimG, 25 April 2008 - 05:24 AM.

Will DIR for food!

#48 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

Yes tech lite in this instance is 2 tanks per diver either singles or doubled...but not 2 sets of doubles. Up to 1 stage for redundancy not dive extension. If you want a longer safety stop then be the first in the water and you'll get a 1.5 hr SI. If you want a 2 hr SI then you need to do a shorter safety stop. The difference in bottom time for that last 30 minutes is about 2 minutes which for me is not worth the extra wait.

You can bring any gas you like as long as it is flexible enough to go past 120 feet if necessary. Some wrecks let you get to 124 and some up to 130. Of course you do not have to go that deep...just need you to be aware that most of the wrecks there are sq profiles with little relief so if the max depth is 120 you will only vary about 10-15 ft at most in a typical relief situation.

I'd be happy to chat with you to save volumes of typing. Pm me or email me. Thanks! kamala

Space on the Boat:

You brought up a good question...this is a recreational charter in a more technical environment. However as you surmised the biggest limiting factor for tech divers is space. Each diver has the same amount of space as a typical recreational diver. You have space on the boat for 2 tanks and your stage needs to fit under your seat with your fins, goodie/collection bag, or anything else going in with you. There is room for a collapsable bag...no hard boxes (small tool box that fits under your seat allowed). So it would be very difficult to do 2 stage bottles and definately not 80's. However I do recall one tech diver that had everything he wanted and fit it ALL into the space of two bottles above and below his seat. He was the neatest most compact diver I've ever seen...and he is a member of this board. He took up no more space than any of the recreational divers... :lmao:

While there is a covered salon that has tables in it...those are for food, camera set up, and people's head if they nap. There is some room in the salon for 1 dry bag per person so if all 18 people have one then there is NOT extra room for the typical load of your standard tech diver.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#49 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

Are you bringing your own deco bottles? Or will you need to rent them? If so, what size? WW probably already knows this, but I'm checking anyway. :lmao:

I'm "driving" part of the way - the first part is a plane trip, so bringing deco bottles is not reality

We'll be renting I'm sure - I don't know what the boat is capable of mixing, so I don't know if we'll rent 1 bottle and refill it, or multiples. Given that unknown, I don't know the size. I would prefer 40's since they're a easier to manage - but slinging an 80 is easier than it looks - just makes entry and exit more exiting.

Since Bill is helping me out, I would think he'd be ready to assist you in acquiring what you need as well. Even though he's now married to the most enticing woman on the planet, he's still a guy, so feminine requests are usually given a lot of attention.

I'm Capn Jack, and I approve this post.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#50 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hey Capn Jack...flattery will get you EVERYTHING! :diver:

As for driving...oh wait...I forgot you wanted to make sure that SheWhoMustBeObeyed had a car...not a van. Otherwise I'd let her drive the van. Which she still can do if you like.

Bill will be supplying your stage Mark...and I'm sure he has a few others he can rent if needed for Jim etc.

Yeah...80 not that hard...I did it in Grenada...dove an 80 and slung an 80! :)

formerly...

#51 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

Payment Update:

1. George aka Georoc01: ww got your payment of $750 for the trip. :clapping:

Document Update:

1. George aka Georoc01: ww got your waiver! :clapping:

#52 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

Payment Update:

Document Update:

Thanks..I assume I am paid up for this trip other than my tank rentals.

#53 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

Payment Update:

Document Update:

Whoa Yeah! Didn't realize this trip was only $750.00!

#54 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Payment Update:

Document Update:

Whoa Yeah! Didn't realize this trip was only $750.00!

If I am reading the front page properly, for tanks I owe 2*3*19=$114 for tank rentals. Is this correct? And when is this due? There isn't a date on the final payment.

#55 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

As for driving...oh wait...I forgot you wanted to make sure that SheWhoMustBeObeyed had a car...not a van. Otherwise I'd let her drive the van. Which she still can do if you like.

SWMBO will be happy driving the van around for her shopping while we dive. Since she is a graduate of the BMW Performance Driving school, I would suggest we let someone less speed-fanatical do the honors of driving to and from the airport with passengers.

So, we get a win-win - change me to "flying-in" and the associated $750 vice $625 (plus S/O upgrade) and SWMBO and I won't have to eat a rental.

Edited by Capn Jack, 25 April 2008 - 04:20 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#56 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

SWMBO will be happy driving the van around for her shopping while we dive. Since she is a graduate of the BMW Performance Driving school, I would suggest we let someone less speed-fanatical do the honors of driving to and from the airport with passengers.

So, we get a win-win - change me to "flying-in" and the associated $750 vice $625 (plus S/O upgrade) and SWMBO and I won't have to eat a rental.

Sure...the drive in price also has an extra night of hotel!

formerly...

#57 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

If I am reading the front page properly, for tanks I owe 2*3*19=$114 for tank rentals. Is this correct? And when is this due? There isn't a date on the final payment.

Yes its a great deal...our last trip will be memorable on all levels! :clapping:

It should be due with the last payment. I'll fix the first post! Thank you! kamala

formerly...

#58 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:24 AM

Payment Update:

1. Anthony aka NJBerserker: Received your paypal pmt for $$286.35. $250.00 Trip Deposit +28 tanks + $8.35 PP Fees! :usflag:

#59 JHeyNow

JHeyNow

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance Open Water, Nitrox, Deep, Cavern

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

Looks good, but due to my other arrangements and shedule on Julu 4th weekend I might have to pass on this.

#60 Parr-T

Parr-T

Charter Member

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:1500+++ lost count in the '90's

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

Looking forward to some historical diving :evilgrin: & fun new dive buddies
SIGN ME UP!!!! check's in the mail Yea Ha

Oh yeah double room, 14 pounds lead and nitrox 100's and sign me up for the nitrox class..when I did all my more advanced dives the voodoo gas did not exist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users