• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is anyone else creeped out by all the tracking the new site does?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#76 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

I think it's kinda cool not that anyone would look at an old rednecks profile lol but from the old days of playing on "IRC" this is a great tool ,nice thing is if someone keeps hitting your buttons it can and would be checked out alot faster :birthday: . As Stacy put it hell I can't remember s@#$ most of the time anyway lol so I ding the button again and say oops been here done this :birthday:

Ed

I had to ding your button!! I think old rednecks are cool!!! :birthday:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#77 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:21 PM

I think it's kinda cool not that anyone would look at an old rednecks profile

I dinged ya. It seems there's a lot of Divers in Co. Conversly it seems a lot of people from Fla go skiing in Co.

my short term memory is shot! So I may look at the same profile before I realize it looks familiar! Isn't there an old joke about being senile and meeting new people every day?

Mine Too!! I have often looked at a profile, and said "Oh Yeah" I looked at that already.

#78 diverb0b

diverb0b

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Cert Level:INSTRUCTOR TRAINER
  • Logged Dives:7000 +

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

I think its nice to know who your talking with once in awhile ,so a short profile on that person would be nice to view.So go ahead and look at mine anytime it doesn t bother me :2cool: :birthday: :2cool: :2cool: :birthday: :birthday:
It will all be a memory tomorrow
I BE DIVING

#79 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:59 PM

I think its nice to know who your talking with once in awhile ,so a short profile on that person would be nice to view.So go ahead and look at mine anytime it doesn t bother me :2cool: :birthday: :2cool: :2cool: :birthday: :birthday:

I wanta come back up and dive 1,000 Islands again! We did that once here, but so many were afraid it'd be too cold, not worth the trip, dull fish, I dunno? I thot it was great, even tho I got stuck with a private car rental out of Montreal - and had no idea what the French hiway signs meant.

As far as the creepy effect, try going to the bottom of the Forums page and checking last 10 clicks. :2cool:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#80 diverb0b

diverb0b

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Cert Level:INSTRUCTOR TRAINER
  • Logged Dives:7000 +

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

Don ur welcome to come up to dive anytime(best in summer June thru mid october )water temp is 75 degrees + in summer.Have a great bed and breakfast that you can stay at (I have a contract with them to teach for them and they are great people.Infact I m working on setting up some dive info for Kamala for trip up here next year.Lots of good shore as well as wreck dives within the area and I can pickyou up at airport etc Just let me know wh :birthday: :2cool: :2cool: :2cool: :birthday: :birthday: en you want to
It will all be a memory tomorrow
I BE DIVING

#81 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

( Insert Iagree smilie here)

actually find it a bit comforting that the admins now have some means in place to make it easier to see it someone is paying undue attention to anyone or any group of individuals on the website.

Is it Orwell's 1984? No. Far from it. I think most of us see 1984 as the fiction that it is or a bad Apple Computer commercial. In all likelihood, the ones squeaking about the perceived "creepiness" or the supposed "Big Brother" analogies would be the first ones squeaking about the 'lack' of SD's concern for them if someone was stalking them or a stalking incident occurred and SD had no way to track them.

While these tools could possibly be abused, I seriously doubt any of the admins have nothing better to do than to 'watch' what each of us does. I assume that my moves are logged somewhere, I assume they have always been available to the admins, now, they seem to be equally visible to the Premier Members and above whose accounts I have some affect on.

I don't feel any insecurity, nor do I feel I have anything to hide when I post, view a thread, start a thread or even look at my fellow member's profile. Granted, I don't do a lot of any of these things, but honestly, how are we to get to know each other if we don't look at each other's profiles?

I am not a premier member and can't see these functions, I don't have PM capabilities, so apparently these new features are only available to Premier Members and above...

Have you become so afraid of who you are and what you do that we can't honestly 'visit' each other even in a virtual world? Isn't that the reason for having a profile in the first place? Or did everyone fill in bogus information to the fields they didn't want to be honest about?

:D

Bubski

:fish2: :P

#82 Sassi

Sassi

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

I think it's kinda cool not that anyone would look at an old rednecks profile lol but from the old days of playing on "IRC" this is a great tool ,nice thing is if someone keeps hitting your buttons it can and would be checked out alot faster :cool1: . As Stacy put it hell I can't remember s@#$ most of the time anyway lol so I ding the button again and say oops been here done this :teeth:

Ed

Gosh - I remember the IRC days! Boards have come a long long way since then - have to say I like it.

Here's a hit to you :teeth:

#83 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:13 AM

I think its nice to know who your talking with once in awhile ,so a short profile on that person would be nice to view.So go ahead and look at mine anytime it doesn t bother me :cloud9: :cheerleader: :clapping: :birthday: :cheerleader: :teeth:

The profile has always been there but now it tells you who is looking at it which is why this place is looking more like a dating site, I guess sending winks will be added next.
My profile had some pictures in it that seem to have gone away, I guess the mods didn't like seeing me in Spandex :thankyou:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#84 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Rescue.
  • Logged Dives:190+

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

I think its nice to know who your talking with once in awhile ,so a short profile on that person would be nice to view.So go ahead and look at mine anytime it doesn t bother me :cool1: :cheerleader: :clapping: :birthday: :cheerleader: :teeth:

The profile has always been there but now it tells you who is looking at it which is why this place is looking more like a dating site, I guess sending winks will be added next.
My profile had some pictures in it that seem to have gone away, I guess the mods didn't like seeing me in Spandex :thankyou:

I want to see you in Spandex... repost the pictures please! :cloud9:

Seriously, my pictures disappeared with the new format too - just have to add again!

Stacy
I just want to be underwater!

#85 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

I think its nice to know who your talking with once in awhile ,so a short profile on that person would be nice to view.So go ahead and look at mine anytime it doesn t bother me :D :thankyou: :cool1: :cool1: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

My profile had some pictures in it that seem to have gone away, I guess the mods didn't like seeing me in Spandex :cloud9:

Lord knows winks are NOT next! :cool1:

They are reserved for actual posting only!!! :birthday:

But seriously...we are evaluating what the new software features do and do not do. Then we will look at what we can try to reprogram or try to modify. As previously stated we are fixing the things that are broken first. There are LOTS of these interfaces that no longer work and while our IT gurus are ALL extremely talented...they are all 'hardware' guys and not 'software' guys so until we find that PHP guru out there....we slowly muddle along!

As for seeing who saw your profile...on the pro side it is a tool to let us track behaviour and on the negative it feels like a dating site. But guess what guys? When we set up SD we looked at message boards and dating sites and chose the unique elements that we liked the best and created our own site. So we've always been like the dating sites and always been like the message boards...but then again not. This is no different.

However I will draw the line at winks...

the only winks you'll find here are :P and :clapping:

As for losing pictures in spandex... the site did not transfer all pictures in the upgrade. Many of my trip posting lost pictures, some of the profiles etc. But you can email me the spandex shots...I'm sorry I missed them! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#86 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

My profile had some pictures in it that seem to have gone away, I guess the mods didn't like seeing me in Spandex :teeth:

Ewwwwww, who would?

Is my profile pic gone? I can't see my profile, but I guess I can check in Edit Profile.

Checked, tried to fix, this feature is not working: "Image Scale On (This will scale the image down for you if it's too big in pixel size)" Or maybe it works on pixels but not dimensions? I resized one to 150x150 and loaded it, but it doesn't show? Can anyone see if I have a profile pic, pls...?

Oh Cat Fish, hon: I've lost your email addy, would you mind emailing me, please. I'm sure the efficient librarian you are that you have mine efficiently stored. :cheerleader:

thanks!

Edited by DandyDon, 26 March 2008 - 08:49 AM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#87 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

Seriously, my pictures disappeared with the new format too - just have to add again!

Stacy

IMPORTANT REMINDER:

In the past the profile pictures were NOT visible unless you clicked on the profile. Therefore we allowed a little more latitude with them. However the new software pulls from them and now they show up as part of the member index etc. Therefore our overall site policy of pictures being of YOU has remained unchanged. To review this policy please check here. In the meantime, pictures of your favorite pet (unless you are holding them) or sea critter (unless you are in the picture with them) are not allowed.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#88 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:25 AM

Sorry for being extremely late to the thread, but work has kept me busy (and out of trouble) :thankyou:.

For those that are worried about the tracking that the new software does is sinister you need to rethink about what you consider public and private (that or grab a tinfoil hat) especially in this day and age. In this modern age you are followed just about every where you go if you know it or not, some of it is recorded and most not.

On the board the tracking that is done is very beign (similar to other). The use of cookies for keeping you logged into a site or for keeping favorites is all stored on your computer and doesnt relay any info to a site. Then if you are surfing on the internet without a anti-spyware, anti-adware, and antivirus you are probably being tracked even more so then this board ever will.

For those that think its sinister that people are looking at your profiles you are being uber paranoid as theres nothing wrong with it (this is done on other networking and message boards IE myspace, facebook, linkedIn, etc) as I know i use the profile search to send PMs through the board so you would see a profile view from me.

Then it is the same as myspace for profile views just without seeing who viewed your profile ( you can see who is viewing your profile on myspace but it requires a third party add-on to get that info) . I would bet the mods do it because they have to keep a eye on things(old and new members alike) on the board so that this board doesnt devolve to what other boards on the internet. Plus then you have the types that curiosity kills the cat on a daily basis and they look at profiles to find out about the people they are posting messages to as the digital medium leaves out alot of inflections that face to face conversations leave out.

Personally the new software is a radical change from the previous version, but it is much better with alot more flexability, as well as secure as there where some issues with the previous version. Remember the only constant in life is change. Then once the we can find a php guru we can get things patched up and back to the feel of the old version but with he security and better features of the new one. I like the new version i just need to figure out the new features and get all of my signatures and pcitures reloaded and life will be good.

If you dont realize it in your day-to-day lives you are tracked/followed in so many ways it could be scary if you think about it.

Good examples of how you can be tracked

1. Toll tags - RFID chip in them for toll road can also be used to track you as you go down the road but if you have the right equipment and the electronic signature of the tag you can track a person down.

2. Passports issued after june 2006 have a RFID chip in them that helps customs get you through quicker. BTW for the ober paranoid the chip doesnt have any personel data on it just a number that is only reference is in CBPs database)

3. Red light cameras - even if it doesnt take a picture the video camera is still rolling monitoring traffic for wrecks

4. GPS (TomTom, and most GPS transeivers) just like a toll tag but give the ability to track within about 10 feet of your location

5. Cellphones if the thing is on your are tracable to within 15 feet using radio trianglation. ifyou want a good example of how its possible watch the move the recruit as even though its a move it is still a real world example

There are many, many, many more ways you are tracked on a daily basis but theres not enough room in a single post or page to relay it all, but these are the most common.

BTW dont get me started on DHS as i could go out of bounds of the TOS in about 1 sentence, but i will keep that to my self for now as I really would like to stay on the good side of the Wench, admins, and Mods. Then even after this is you are still paranoid send me a PM with the concern and i will explain it to you. if that doesnt help .... <self mod- comment removed>

Well im out as need to go to work, later SDers

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#89 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

If your missing your old profile pic its because the new software only allows for a certain size..

All photos must be no larger than 100 kB.
Photos must be no bigger than 150 pixels by 150 pixels.

I lost my old profile pic in the change-over because it was 550 pixels by 550..

So I just uploaded another.

thats my 2 psi

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#90 Sassi

Sassi

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

I think its nice to know who your talking with once in awhile ,so a short profile on that person would be nice to view.So go ahead and look at mine anytime it doesn t bother me :fish: :wakawaka: :lmao: :fish2: :thankyou: :thankyou:

My profile had some pictures in it that seem to have gone away, I guess the mods didn't like seeing me in Spandex :wakawaka:

Yes - please repost so that we can all gawk.....er.....I really mean admire :fish2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users