• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is anyone else creeped out by all the tracking the new site does?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#46 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

Admitting birth date by month and day only is not an option, so I changed the year on mine.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#47 Sassi

Sassi

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

DandyDon... I send you a comment AND added you as a friend and I'm going to check your profile every day!! And next I'll add diverb0b! I'm going to join ScubaStacy in stalking all these great SD fellas. Yup, that's my dive plan!! Woo-hoo!! :welcome:

So now instead of single divers - we are stalking divers :welcome: :hiya: I knew there was a reason I joined this site! :)

#48 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

Admitting birth date by month and day only is not an option, so I changed the year on mine.

Actually, it became an option a while ago. This is why you will see some members celebrating their birthday without their age being listed by their name.

#49 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

I think that it is a bit too much that other people can see who has visited my profile page. I kind of like seeing who has visited my member page, but getting to see who has visited other people's pages is more than is needed for this site, IMHO. It's not like the admins and mods couldn't see who was PMing and viewing member pages anyway.

So SD administrators, what is up with all of this? You all seem quite silent on this issue.... Tolly? Shadragon? Fordan??? What's up with this supreme level of transparency?

#50 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

Actually, it became an option a while ago.

Actually, I just tried putting in Month Day... without the year, didnt' take it...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#51 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

Actually, it became an option a while ago.

Actually, I just tried putting in Month Day... without the year, didnt' take it...

Nope, I don't think so.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#52 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

Hi folks,
This reply is from me-the-systems-librarian (in other words, what I do for a livin'). What we've got here is another example of social networking, which is all the rage in Web 2.0 (interactive web) circles. Examples: FaceBook, MySpace, del.icio.us (a web-based bookmarking site where users can optionally share their bookmarks for all to see, and you can jump laterally from your bookmarks to those of others), Flickr (photo sharing site), YouTube, Friendster (an early site with dating-related underpinnings), Twitter etc. For an example from the plain old business world... have you ever been on Amazon.com and see it refer to "people who bought book X also bought book Y"? Yes.. social networking!

Here's a definition from Danah Boyd, a Berkeley academic who specializes in this stuff: "We define social network sites as web-based services that allow individuals to (1) construct a public or semi-public profile within a bounded system, (2) articulate a list of other users with whom they share a connection, and (3) view and traverse their list of connections and those made by others within the system. The nature and nomenclature of these connections may vary from site to site."

We will see more and more migration like this, no matter what the site. That is not to say that visibility of profiles on sites cannot or should not be managed according to user discretion. Although I have nothing to do with our site administration, I am guessing that when our admins migrated to a new system, what was available to them was Web. 2.0-pointing technologies such as what we see here, as Web 1.0 technology is going the way of the dinosaur. "Old-fashioned" (Web 1.0) systems are just that, and for the most part further development of them has been capped if not killed. So any movement to a new system basically has to be in this direction, as that's what there is. (wow, how Zen of me!) There may be administrative hooks that our admins can put in place as they get to know the system better to limit visibility on our site, but that also varies from system to system. OK, 'nuff yakking from me!

#53 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

Hi folks,
This reply is from me-the-systems-librarian (in other words, what I do for a livin'). What we've got here is another example of social networking, which is all the rage in Web 2.0 (interactive web) circles. Examples: FaceBook, MySpace, del.icio.us (a web-based bookmarking site where users can optionally share their bookmarks for all to see, and you can jump laterally from your bookmarks to those of others), Flickr (photo sharing site), YouTube, Friendster (an early site with dating-related underpinnings), Twitter etc. For an example from the plain old business world... have you ever been on Amazon.com and see it refer to "people who bought book X also bought book Y"? Yes.. social networking!

Here's a definition from Danah Boyd, a Berkeley academic who specializes in this stuff: "We define social network sites as web-based services that allow individuals to (1) construct a public or semi-public profile within a bounded system, (2) articulate a list of other users with whom they share a connection, and (3) view and traverse their list of connections and those made by others within the system. The nature and nomenclature of these connections may vary from site to site."

We will see more and more migration like this, no matter what the site. That is not to say that visibility of profiles on sites cannot or should not be managed according to user discretion. Although I have nothing to do with our site administration, I am guessing that when our admins migrated to a new system, what was available to them was Web. 2.0-pointing technologies such as what we see here, as Web 1.0 technology is going the way of the dinosaur. "Old-fashioned" (Web 1.0) systems are just that, and for the most part further development of them has been capped if not killed. So any movement to a new system basically has to be in this direction, as that's what there is. (wow, how Zen of me!) There may be administrative hooks that our admins can put in place as they get to know the system better to limit visibility on our site, but that also varies from system to system. OK, 'nuff yakking from me!

Smart, nice, and pretty too...! :welcome:

#54 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

Actually, it became an option a while ago. This is why you will see some members celebrating their birthday without their age being listed by their name.

Although I'm 3rd generation "I don't give a ****" about who knows what about me - I do respect those who are not thrilled about these changes.

So much so, I went in and tried to set the year of my birth (1948) to "--" - and got an error message.

Either complete all the birthdate fields, or leave them all blank - we cannot process partial birthdates

So, despite what Michelle said, it don't look like it works the way she said it does. Not that I'm disagreeing with a woman, or a barrister, or a Canadian national, or the SO of one of the owners - but....
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#55 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

Nope, I don't think so.

Well, then perhaps you can enlighten this ignorant one on how to do it..
I went to my profile, clicked on the Birthday Unknown
Entered in the mm DD and then Saved...

It currently shows " Birthday Unknown "
Please share your confidence with me

Edited by fbp, 23 March 2008 - 04:55 PM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#56 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

The average person gets videotaped 8-12 times a day. Every credit / debit purchase you make is recorded in a database. Every word you send out in an email or web posting is scanned. Each web page you visit is noted... ...and that is just the stuff we know about...

Orwell was prescient enough to see it coming and lucky enough to avoid it...

Tip of the iceberg...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#57 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

While this was true under the older software, it doesn't appear to be correct with the current software; I got an error message just now about the system being unable to process partial birthdates...so I took out all the B/D info.

PPM

#58 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Rescue.
  • Logged Dives:190+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

Just made me remember something on a similar subject...

The Sacramento Bee, our local newspaper just added a feature to their web site, where you can type in the name of a California State employee and get back the information on their job position and salary! No Kidding! :welcome: I tested it and there I was and all my co-workers!

I couldn't believe it. Our HR person told me it's public domain info but just doesn't seem right! Now guess I won't be getting all the gold diggers after me anyway! :welcome:

Stacy

:) I don't have your real name, so can't check. How much do you make, anyway...??

LOL Sure not enough to dive like I want to that's for sure!

STACY'S NAME AND AGE REMOVED AS WE HAVE ALWAYS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED PEOPLE TO NOT REVEAL THEIR REAL NAMES ON THIS SITE AND WE WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO. She can share this information with anyone she desires via pm, email, in person etc. Thank you, Kamala

I have nothing to hide, all my serious crimes were under an alias and there isn't a field type in the profile for the few secrets I DO have! So I'm an open book! :-) :hiya:

Edited by WreckWench, 23 March 2008 - 11:37 PM.

I just want to be underwater!

#59 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

Nope, I don't think so.

Well, then perhaps you can enlighten this ignorant one on how to do it..
I went to my profile, clicked on the Birthday Unknown
Entered in the mm DD and then Saved...

It currently shows " Birthday Unknown "
Please share your confidence with me

No I was agreeing with you. You cannot avoid selecting a year. So I selected 2007.

#60 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

I don't care who looks at my profile. I just hope "I" don't creep any of you out by my stalking!!! I have a tendancy to forget I have looked at someones and look again and again!!!! :teeth: I just don't retain the info for very long........sorry!!!

I would like to know though, Can everyone see my address or is it just me??????

Edited by ScubaSis, 23 March 2008 - 08:59 PM.

Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users