• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is anyone else creeped out by all the tracking the new site does?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

I think we have all got used to a certain level of comfort and privacy using the internet from the comfort of our couch. I was initially a bit spooked by the feature that shows who is "checking" out my profile. It also made me think before I click on a profile. But as has been pointed out, we are all members of an online club/community and the ultimate aim is to get to know/hook up with one another through diving. We have the luxury of reading about who we are potentially going to go on holiday with. And all web activity can be monitored and recorded anyway, although it doesn't bother me anymore so much these days - if I get fed up with it, I'll just buy one of those islands Shadragon told us about, and become a hermit. Meantime I can live in hope that one day I'll get rated....!!! :banghead:
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

I think we have all got used to a certain level of comfort and privacy using the internet from the comfort of our couch. I was initially a bit spooked by the feature that shows who is "checking" out my profile. It also made me think before I click on a profile. But as has been pointed out, we are all members of an online club/community and the ultimate aim is to get to know/hook up with one another through diving. We have the luxury of reading about who we are potentially going to go on holiday with. And all web activity can be monitored and recorded anyway, although it doesn't bother me anymore so much these days - if I get fed up with it, I'll just buy one of those islands Shadragon told us about, and become a hermit. Meantime I can live in hope that one day I'll get rated....!!! :clapping:

You are a 5 in my book! (Actually a 10 but the rating only goes to 5 stars!) :banghead:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

Two of the new features will become problematic to SD's goal of creating a safe place for Single and Buddyless divers to make friends and find dive buddies. They also will tip the site slightly towards a dating site for those willing to pony up the premier membership fee.

The two features are 1) allowing premiers (or higher) to see who has viewed their or other's profiles, and 2) allowing people to see who I consider to be my friends. The first will bring SD.com the undesirable behavior that goes on at dating sites. The later will just make some people upset when they realize they have not collected enough friends or more importantly, enough mutual friends. I like the idea of a friend list for me to use, but why should my list be public to many members?

Getting back to profile views... For the dating sites, the profile hitting dance is a great way to find everything from nearly anonymous hookups, to the false hope of having found "the one". I say the latter as being a hope, since profiles are just another quick way to get to know another person's facade. Profiles often only disclose what people would like you to see or think. Personally, I beleive the best way to make new friends and getting to know a "real" person is by going on group trips. My years playing the dating site games were a waste of time and I hope SD.com stays away from those antics.

So among the premiers, some new activities are about to begin. Not sure how these two features benefit SD.com, but personally I do not understand why the admins want to take on the challenge of weeding out which premiers are engaging in the predatory practices going on at other internet sites. And later this year, you may start seeing increasing complaints from people that expected SD.com to be a safe, predator free site. The best way to prevent that is to disable curiosity features that benefit predators much more than the membership that you desire to have.
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#34 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

Two of the new features will become problematic to SD's goal of creating a safe place for Single and Buddyless divers to make friends and find dive buddies. They also will tip the site slightly towards a dating site for those willing to pony up the premier membership fee.

The two features are 1) allowing premiers (or higher) to see who has viewed their or other's profiles, and 2) allowing people to see who I consider to be my friends. The first will bring SD.com the undesirable behavior that goes on at dating sites. The later will just make some people upset when they realize they have not collected enough friends or more importantly, enough mutual friends. I like the idea of a friend list for me to use, but why should my list be public to many members?

Getting back to profile views... For the dating sites, the profile hitting dance is a great way to find everything from nearly anonymous hookups, to the false hope of having found "the one". I say the latter as being a hope, since profiles are just another quick way to get to know another person's facade. Profiles often only disclose what people would like you to see or think. Personally, I beleive the best way to make new friends and getting to know a "real" person is by going on group trips. My years playing the dating site games were a waste of time and I hope SD.com stays away from those antics.

So among the premiers, some new activities are about to begin. Not sure how these two features benefit SD.com, but personally I do not understand why the admins want to take on the challenge of weeding out which premiers are engaging in the predatory practices going on at other internet sites. And later this year, you may start seeing increasing complaints from people that expected SD.com to be a safe, predator free site. The best way to prevent that is to disable curiosity features that benefit predators much more than the membership that you desire to have.

Thank you. Someone gets it. :banghead:

#35 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

I really don't want to know who looked at my profile or see records displayed of everyones' online activity, including my own. What is the purpose of these features? I can't think of another message board that is set up like this other than searching for "last posts" "threads started by" and "photos posted."
Edited by Wreckwench Reason for edit: Title changed to reflect the new software's tracking and not SD.com.

Wreck wench, I notice you edited the title of this thread. OK, the software does the tracking and not SD. The initial question still has not been answered. Why would SD chose this type of software in the first place?

Edited by Fairybasslet, 23 March 2008 - 09:58 AM.

#36 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Rescue.
  • Logged Dives:190+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

LOL Damn! Guess my days of secretly stalking the male SD members is over for sure now! :banghead:

Fairybasslet, you dimed me, girlfriend... and I would have had your back! :clapping:

Sorry about that girlfriend. I was trying to be specific to creep Don out a little since he couldn't view his profile. Though I'm sure he doesn't mind you're stalking him. :birthday:

No worries, I'm all for messin' with someone's head a bit - keeps em on their toes! :lmao:

As for all the other serious issues being debated .. my first thought was that some of the features are similar to what is available on the web dating sites.... ummmm that's what I've heard anyway.

For myself I don't care one way or the other. I have friends in DHS Cyber-Terrorism who have my back and more, I'm armed.

I just want to be POPULAR darn it! Please Click on me! Click on me! :birthday:

Stacy
I just want to be underwater!

#37 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

Creeped out?

Not particularly, although I did edit out my birthdate and address information for obvious reasons when I realized that the system didn't allow me to only partially enter it (with no year).

It's nice to know who checked out my profile (I recently thanked someone for doing so, since my assumption was that they simply wanted to know a bit more about the PPM), but the other stuff is just fluff AFA I am concerned. Don't see how anyone can glean any kind of hold over me by seeing it, since to me it's irrelevant info anyway.

PPM

Edited by PlatypusMan, 23 March 2008 - 11:21 AM.

#38 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:31 AM

Creeped out?

Not particularly, although I did edit out my birthdate and address information for obvious reasons when I realized that the system didn't allow me to only partially enter it (with no year).

It's nice to know who checked out my profile (I recently thanked someone for doing so, since my assumption was that they simply wanted to know a bit more about the PPM), but the other stuff is just fluff AFA I am concerned. Don't see how anyone can glean any kind of hold over me by seeing it, since to me it's irrelevant info anyway.

PPM

I agree with you PPM. It's up to each individual to decide what they want or don't want to share on this or any other site. It really is "fluff" kinda stuff on here anyway. It's not like anybody has their home address, phone numbers, social security numbers, etc. posted. There's much less information here than you can obtain thru the all knowing Google!!!

BTW PPM...I just checked out your profile!!!

Edited by Bubbles, 23 March 2008 - 11:31 AM.

"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#39 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

Just made me remember something on a similar subject...

The Sacramento Bee, our local newspaper just added a feature to their web site, where you can type in the name of a California State employee and get back the information on their job position and salary! No Kidding! :clapping: I tested it and there I was and all my co-workers!

I couldn't believe it. Our HR person told me it's public domain info but just doesn't seem right! Now guess I won't be getting all the gold diggers after me anyway! :banghead:

Stacy

#40 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Just so I don't make anyone paranoid, I am randomly clicking on profiles and such so that I can learn how to use the new features. I promise: I am not spying on you! :banghead:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#41 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

What??! OMG!!!!! :clapping:

So in retaliation, I gawked at yours, too.

Interesting; didn't know that about you. Did that in college, but not since. :banghead:

PPM

#42 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

What??! OMG!!!!! :birthday:

So in retaliation, I gawked at yours, too.

Interesting; didn't know that about you. Did that in college, but not since. :banghead:

PPM

Everyone experiments in college.... it's ok! :clapping:

#43 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

Interesting discussion?

At first, I thought it was a serious issue..
Then reading a little further with all the LOL's posted figured members were just having fun..
Now it's looking like a conern...
Most BB have last postings listed, who's on line etc.. and access to the profiles....

Out of just general interests, if I see a person that I'm curious about, diving or other interests, photography, mountaineering, Paragliding (although that's a stretch) and in various countries, I'll click on the profile to see if they have a website... most don't but some do, (not talking about 'My Face...' or whatever it is) but just out of curiosity.. also to see if there are any NEW PNW divers... or new to the area...

The thought being that there isn't any "Private" info or it wouldn't be posted.. so not sure what the "hub-bub" is, but each has their own thoughts and can certainly edit the profiles in regards to personal stuff... the rest, last postings, last on line etc.. are all system integrated and pretty common on all Bulletin boards (BB) that I've seen..

Anyway, I do look at the profiles so don't panic... just curious that's all... big world out there and a lot in just plain interesting people.. with varied interests...
So "Press on..." as they say at the laundry...
cheers...

Edited by fbp, 23 March 2008 - 12:28 PM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#44 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

Just made me remember something on a similar subject...

The Sacramento Bee, our local newspaper just added a feature to their web site, where you can type in the name of a California State employee and get back the information on their job position and salary! No Kidding! :welcome: I tested it and there I was and all my co-workers!

I couldn't believe it. Our HR person told me it's public domain info but just doesn't seem right! Now guess I won't be getting all the gold diggers after me anyway! :welcome:

Stacy

:hiya: I don't have your real name, so can't check. How much do you make, anyway...??
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#45 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

Anyway, I do look at the profiles so don't panic... just curious that's all... big world out there and a lot in just plain interesting people.. with varied interests...

Me Too! I have bumped into profiles too, curiosity for the most part, typically prompted by what might have been posted, location etc. Initially it did creep me out, I'm a little more comfortable with it now. I had only listed my month and day of birth before, now I don't think it is in there.

I always want to know more about people I could might possibly dive with!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users