• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Meeting people through the internet

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:06 AM

I think I'm going to stick to dating divers only from now own. If it works for WW, then it's good enough for me. Besides, it's no fun going on these amazing trips with your SO so they can just kinda stand around and wait for you to surface.

My thoughts exactly...besides usually they aren't happy about waiting for you to surface...they usually try to get you to do something else with them that you both can do together...or so that has been my experience!

As for sticking with divers...good call!! And if you stick with us...then I'm sure you'll have plenty of great divers to choose from!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 scubahoney

scubahoney

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:53 AM

That's the hope here!
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#33 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:19 AM

That's the hope here!

Young lady, you'll have no trouble. I need to get my son registered here, he's much better looking than his old man.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#34 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:27 AM

:blink:
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#35 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:42 PM

I can't say that many online meetings ( regular dating sites ) turned out well. I only had one progress to the point of wanting to meet in person, and it was disappointing to find her 100# heavier than her picture and completely lacking in anything close to resembling a personality. I kind of gave up on the idea of meeting dates through the internet a while back.

Dive buddies on the other hand, I've met many through the internet, and so far they have ALL represented themselves honestly, and many have become great friends in addition to being good reliable dive buddies. I'd be a lot more comfortable meeting dates through a site like this than I would through yahoo-personals or the like, especially since I don't plan on dating any non-divers at the moment.

#36 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:00 PM

(Darth) Dive buddies on the other hand, I've met many through the internet, and so far they have ALL represented themselves honestly, and many have become great friends in addition to being good reliable dive buddies.

I think that has to do with the fact that divers are usually looking for a dive buddy first or someone to share their experience with. :welcome:
they look for dates, second.
Am I close on this?

Edited by scubahoney, 08 May 2004 - 02:29 PM.

~Jacques Cousteau

#37 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:41 PM

Well yes... no... maybe...

I am looking for a date, but usually I'm just meeting other divers to dive. I'd be pretty straight up if I was meeting someone for both reasons, just to be sure we're both on the same page. So far I've only met one diver for dating reasons, and unfortunately we couldn't go diving too, but we both knew why we were meeting and it seemed to go well for both of us. I think as long as you're honest about yourself and your intentions up front, there shouldn't be any nasty surprises.

#38 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:02 PM

Actually, I am still a member on a dating site and hid my profile. The last two ladies that I met that way were honest enough, except with themselves.

They told me that they wanted one thing, thought that they wanted one thing... and found out that what I have to offer is what I told them. Then, it turned into the old "be careful what you wish for...." I got tired of being hurt by being the first man that they dated after a bad relationship. The phrase "you're a nice guy, but...." only can be heard so many times.

It's diving season, so dating time is over until winter. That is cool. I have met more cool ladies on here and another board than I have through dating services (that you all). Better yet, they are divers. The last two were non-divers and the second had enough medical issues that she probably couldn't dive even if she wanted to.

Safety to me is less of an issue. I try to make women feel at ease for the first meeting by meeting in a public place with plenty of warning. I don't ask for any more information than I sense that they are willing to give. Like Walter, most of the people that I have met on the internet (being divers) seem to be pretty much as I envision them, both personality and appearance wise.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:10 PM

So who all has or still has a dating site subscription? I'll fess up that I do. Anyone else???

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#40 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:18 PM

i've never tried one. too shy (ok, i can hear you all laughing your butts off)..
fear of not getting any hits, i guess.
but just yesterday the surgery resident i was working with said he met his wife online...they were given freebie subscriptions to match.com when it first hit the web, and each just kinda tried it for fun. they did the online thing for a couple months, met, dated for 2 years and got married. it's nice to know things can go that well for someone!

Edited by triggerfish, 08 May 2004 - 09:18 PM.

#41 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

I had a free membership to Yahoo Personals. But after it's over, the annual fees were too high in my opinion to make it worth it. Besides, the guiys in my age group all looked like pimps! I don't think I would recommend it. It's defiently not specific enough. Thats why I like this site...we all have at least 3 things in common...
1. We all dive or hope to :teeth:
2. We respect each other :welcome:
3. We lack any sense of normality in our lives. :o
Love all you SD peeps! :iluvu:

Edited by scubahoney, 08 May 2004 - 09:23 PM.

~Jacques Cousteau

#42 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:30 PM

I had a free membership to Yahoo Personals. But after it's over, the annual fees were too high in my opinion to make it worth it. Besides, the guiys in my age group all looked like pimps! I don't think I would recommend it. It's defiently not specific enough. Thats why I like this site...we all have at least 3 things in common...
1. We all dive or hope to :diver:
2. We respect each other :teeth:
3. We lack any sense of normality in our lives. :wacko:
Love all you SD peeps! :iluvu:

Hey!

I resemble that remark!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#43 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:28 AM

Hmmm.... WW, isn't that where we first "met."

I maintain one on Date.com and may still be "active" (not very) on Match.com. Had paid subscriptions but didn't feel they were worth renewing.

Dr. Bill

#44 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:24 PM

So who all has or still has a dating site subscription? I'll fess up that I do. Anyone else???

Guilty as charged. Time off for bad behavior?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#45 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:07 PM

I have in the past but don't have a paid subscription to any right now. I recently tried a Christian site but found that I got the same old "Your so beautiful" lines from men who obviously had not even read my profile. No intros, no attempts to sas "Hey! We have such & such in common!" Also, no divers or pool players.... :taz:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users