• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Ike

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#91 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:55 PM

For members who want to check out there areas, KHOU.com has air flights of areas, of Houston , baytown, ect. , Said they are going to get as many areas up as possable as a public service for people who are away to be able to check on thier neighbothoods.

Thanks Sonny...this will be very helpful for people!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#92 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

I'm back home, we got no rain , wind up to 50 mph. No damge at all here at Por tO'Connor,probally 95 miles down the coast from Freeport,
We stayed In Portland tx, Near Aranasas Pass right across the bridge from Corpus Christi, calm winds no more than 30 mph, no rain,
DB Diver. So your grandmothers house would have been fine. I have talked to friends, today this morning in Friendswood, lots of water, trees ,power lines down, No power. Baytown, got hammered, he has lost his roof, and no power. Rosenburg area, got rain some trees down still had power as of noon.
I hope all our members are ok and our prayers to the ones affected, and hope things get back to normal soon.

Any one who is out of Housing, and wants to head south to Port O'Connor, I have a spare room and couch. If any one in need, maybe some work at the shop putting th whole shop back togeather. Not much of a Kitchen right now, but we do mangge to eat good, with the out side cooker, BBQ pit, oven mico, dishwaher, no sink or cabinets, but jsut bought lots of food on the way home,, OOO and a big bottle of rum.. to help pass the days... :birthday:

Great News Sonny!

And I can attest to the GREAT cooking! Sonny really does cook fabulous! And a bit gourmet as well! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#93 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Me and Sandy are fine in Austin... Ike passed to the east... just some ugly clouds and wind.. more casualties from drinking last night than anything else.

Glad to see you came thru ok Sonny. Sandy's family in Houston rode out the storm ok... just no power. Other friends in Spring Tx just north of Houston not answering their cells.. just hopefully the cell towers are down and out.

Take care ya'll!
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#94 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

I cant help anybody because I am on the dirty side of the Huricane right now !
But I hope this can....

But there was good news: A stranded freighter with 22 men aboard made it through the storm safely, and a tugboat was on the way to save them. And an evacuee from Calhoun County gave birth to a girl in the restroom of a shelter with the aid of an expert in geriatric psychiatry who delivered his first baby in two decades.

In Surfside Beach, retired carpenter and former Marine Ray Wilkinson became something of a celebrity for a day: He was the lone resident in the town of 805 to defy the order to leave. Authorities found him Saturday morning, drunk.

"I consider myself to be stupid," Wilkinson, 67, said through a thick, tobacco-stained beard. "I'm just tired of running from these things. If it's going to get you, it's going to get you."

He added: "I didn't say I had all my marbles, OK?"

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#95 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Very relieved to hear that so far our member's losses are limited to material things which are easily replaced rather than life and limb, which are irreplaceable. (Some of you might recall that we had Nargis, a cat 4, here in the Andaman Sea last May with unimaginable losses of the kind that cannot be replaced.)

And Mike aka Bubble2Bubble? I LOVE your "silver lining" post! It resonates with me and my own outlook on life: roll with the punches and then if you can get up, do so smiling because it could have been worse!

Edited by Quero, 13 September 2008 - 06:58 PM.

Come dive with me in Thailand!

#96 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

Houston was hit pretty hard. Power is out.. trees down.. lots of water.
I have been locked down at the Emergency Operations Center since Friday morning.

Police and Fire have been very busy.
The Woodlands and Shenandoah has lots of trees down with many houses damaged.
Power went out about 4 am or so.... So far it isn't too bad...
Word has been that it could be a few weeks before the power is restored. I am keeping my fingers crossed that its back sooner than a few weeks.

I could use more sleep but have been well fed and there is power. (Took a nice warm shower this afternoon in the police depts lockerroom)
I had a policeman tell me that my apartment complex wasn't damaged or flooded.
Hopefully I will get home tomorrow and can check things out for myself. I will be allowed a few hours of sleep tonight.

Hope everyone is doing good.

Edited by gis_gal, 13 September 2008 - 07:01 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#97 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

Good news Colleen! I am glad you are safe. I hope our other members fare as well. :birthday:

formerly...

#98 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

Hi all. I'm safe and sound up in College Station. My son stayed down in Houston, and was able to go to the house for me to pick up a few valuables, ie toothpaste, grandmas silver, and my dive gear. He then rode out the storm at his girlfriends house, a little further away from the coast. Yesterday he checked on the house and all is well. The fence in the back yard is mangled up, but the house is aok, which is a huge relief. Work has been crazy, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Don't know when they will let me back home, don't really want to go back till they get the power back on anyway.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Lee. Hopefully you will come through this unscathed.

#99 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:39 AM

Hi all. I'm safe and sound up in College Station. My son stayed down in Houston, and was able to go to the house for me to pick up a few valuables, ie toothpaste, grandmas silver, and my dive gear. He then rode out the storm at his girlfriends house, a little further away from the coast. Yesterday he checked on the house and all is well. The fence in the back yard is mangled up, but the house is aok, which is a huge relief. Work has been crazy, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Don't know when they will let me back home, don't really want to go back till they get the power back on anyway.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Lee. Hopefully you will come through this unscathed.

Sandy I was soooooooooooooooo relieved when you called me back. One more accounted for and safe and sound. Now if only the rest of our members are as lucky. :birthday:

formerly...

#100 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

For what it is worth, I am okay myself. I did make to the Dallas area and have stayed the past three nights there. Right now, I am in Waco, will return to Houston late tommorrow. I have been in contact with a couple of friends there, they tell me the power is still out in most parts of Houston. I am hoping that when I get back to my apartment, located on the north side near Intercontinental Airport, all will be okay, I am just concerned about flooding as there is a gully that runs next to the complex. Outside of my laptap and some clothes, I left everything in Houston.
-Mitch-

#101 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

Glad to hear that all is well with many since storms passing-Keep everyone posted if you can!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#102 Kuraman

Kuraman

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Over 1000 now, quit logging and quit counting

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

Can anyone tell me is Katy got it very bad from Ike. I still own a house there, but my renters are from NYC and evacuated. Would like to know if there was any flooding along Mason Creek.

Kuraman
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

#103 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:36 AM

Can anyone tell me is Katy got it very bad from Ike. I still own a house there, but my renters are from NYC and evacuated. Would like to know if there was any flooding along Mason Creek.

Kuraman

I know that Katy got power restored yesterday. Beyond that, I really couldnt tell you.
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#104 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:58 AM

Ike is currently passing north of me up here in Canada, Eh. While I am on the edge and it is just a Tropical Storm now, the winds are up to 40 knots, lots of fog and rain. Blustery day...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#105 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:29 AM

Kuraman

My friends in Katy are fine... said they got wind and rain, but nothing major. The brunt of the storm went around them. I will e-mail them and ask about Mason Creek for you.

PM me if you want to give me the property address. No promises, but maybe my friends will drive by for you.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users