• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Ike

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#76 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

I think the storm is been downgraded to a cat2 which would be a blessing. However it is now aimed at Galveston which is NOT good. We will keep praying!

As of 4pm it is still Cat2 and hopefully will remain so. Although there are signs it may be intensifying. There is a low pressure area near Palacios which may shift the path to the west. It would be better if it were to go east of Galveston however.

I was just outside and it is still eerily calm inside the 610 loop...
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#77 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

I think the storm is been downgraded to a cat2 which would be a blessing. However it is now aimed at Galveston which is NOT good. We will keep praying!

As of 4pm it is still Cat2 and hopefully will remain so. Although there are signs it may be intensifying. There is a low pressure area near Palacios which may shift the path to the west. It would be better if it were to go east of Galveston however.

I was just outside and it is still eerily calm inside the 610 loop...

Its a strange storm. Rather that intensifying on the inside, the eye has collapsed and instead the storm has just been growing and is much larger than Katrina or Rita were as Cat 5 storms. So the surge and the size of the storm will still do alot of damage, especially if it stalls when it makes landfall.

#78 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

7:30pm Ike is still Cat2 but borderline Cat3

In SW Houston winds are 25 gusting to 35 still no rain as of sunset.

Here's a few random shots from South Braeswood:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#79 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

On high alert, ready and willing to serve my community, and to make a difference in the lives of the people (I/We) encounter during the course of our duties.

Tooth

Thanks!

PS how do I get a job like yours???

As long as you can pass the psych test, are willing to work days at a time at just over minimum wage income, I am sure they have a position for you.

I have quite a bit of respect for these guys who work the kind of hours they do in a very high stress enviroment for the income that they earn.

Thank you very much for the compliments

Some people just dont understand why those that are in Fire/EMS/LE do what we do, and never will. The people that enter this brother/sisterhood do so to serve there communities and to make a difference. It doesnt matter where you came from as you can put together FF, Paramedics, and other EMS, Fire or LAw enforcement together in a situation and very quickly you will have a team that works very good together. a good example is on my last hurricane deployment you had people from careflite (both the dallas ground and our 911 division) along with FF/Medics from Flower mound and frisco fire departments and we worked well as we worked on the gulf coast a couple of weeks ago and accomplished our missions without issue or problem (better then some of the FEMA teams). I may not have the most glamorous job in the world but i love what i do. in essence this is how i serve my country, since i cant serve in the military.

Well my job takes about 2 years of training to get to the paramedic level, but its a continous learning process as things change and skills have to stay up to date. Trust me this isnt easy, and in the program i went to that the paramedic students where held to a higher standard then the nurses for grades/skills/performace, etc. (i wish we got paid the same). heck im not done, with seeking out training. im still going for the Critical Care(CCEMT-P), Flight (FpC), my bachelors of fine arts in photography, as well as nursing. Ideally in 20 years i would love to have this for alphabet soup after my name from all the certs I have gotten. Then on the diving side im seeking OC trimix training and then will do the same on the CC side, as well i would like to get my scuba and DAN instructors ticket

The pay actually isnt bad, especially with the overtime i work; it pays for the scuba and camera toys, but then again im single with no kids or major expenses. I dont do this job for the money thats for sure.

Pysch test, I never got one LOL. I know for sure that the doc wouldnt say i was sane because its not normal to put your life on the line for another person. Heck i think it would be interesting to have a eval done just to see how i stand up to the sane standard.

Edited by Scubatooth, 12 September 2008 - 10:09 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#80 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

Also im still in Dallas, I just got done working 40+ hours straight moving from one truck to another due to personnel being down south and i have never run so many calls in a short period of time then i have in the past two day. I have been warned that we maybe sending more people south once trucks get out of the shop tomorrow. plus in a day or two our crew down there will need relief as theres gonna be a long recovery phase from this storm as damage reports are already coming into the states EOC in austin.

Anyone down south yall take care the worst is getting ready to hit in the next two hours or so.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#81 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

Anyone down south yall take care the worst is getting ready to hit in the next two hours or so.

Tooth

Thanks Dan - we are getting hit hard right now in Beaumont. Power is out where I'm at and we are running on generator. So far no surge up this far but can't easily look outside since it's hard to open the doors (guess that's my sign to stay indoors :rolleyes: ).

The internet connection is still up though :P so I'll post as I can and will take some pictures when it gets light.

Butch

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#82 Elena

Elena

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:20 AM

we are getting hit hard right now in Beaumont.

Stay put, Butch

Elena, ex-Schlum

#83 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:30 AM

Stay put, Butch

Elena, ex-Schlum

Nothing else to do... internet connection still up but I can see poles and trees down in the area. Live streaming of one of our local news stations is at KFDM.COM Beaumont, TX.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#84 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,701 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:47 AM

Any reports from members? The news is not good on the tv. NWHouston hit very hard. 2 million people without power and up to several weeks to restore it all for them. Roofs of bldgs ripped off. Have not heard much more...need to surf for more news. Will keep others updated as I can and hopefully our members will check in when they can. Hugs and :rolleyes: to you all. kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#85 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,701 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:24 AM

The towns of Kemiah, Seabrook and Texas City have sustained lots of water damage. Reporting was happening from League City where I know one of our members lives and it seemed ok. NO bldgs in these towns seem to be missing but lots of water damage.

I have not heard about Freeport nor Galveston. I :rolleyes: they are ok as members live there.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#86 diveprn

diveprn

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Board Status:returning
  • Cert Level:Adv,Rescue,Nitrox,
  • Logged Dives:252

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:17 AM

Also im still in Dallas, I just got done working 40+ hours straight moving from one truck to another due to personnel being down south and i have never run so many calls in a short period of time then i have in the past two day. I have been warned that we maybe sending more people south once trucks get out of the shop tomorrow. plus in a day or two our crew down there will need relief as theres gonna be a long recovery phase from this storm as damage reports are already coming into the states EOC in austin.

Tooth

Stay Safe and God Bless you. Valerie Canon ER RN, former ambulance EMT2 years ago. :rolleyes:
Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

#87 diveprn

diveprn

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Board Status:returning
  • Cert Level:Adv,Rescue,Nitrox,
  • Logged Dives:252

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:20 AM

Any reports from members? The news is not good on the tv. NWHouston hit very hard. 2 million people without power and up to several weeks to restore it all for them. Roofs of bldgs ripped off. Have not heard much more...need to surf for more news. Will keep others updated as I can and hopefully our members will check in when they can. Hugs and :rolleyes: to you all. kamala

I have family in Houston, as of yesterday they were leaving. I have not heard from them yet. They all work for Continental Air.
Valerie
Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

#88 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

From what CNN is reporting:

the eye landed on Galveston at 2am

Port Arthur/Beaumont have taken a big hit as they are on the north side of the storm

Lake Jackson's roads are impassable due to downed trees

Houston has taken a big hit as well...the Buffalo Byeux is flooding; one of the buildings in downtown had the windows blown out; the water system has low pressure so they are recommending people boil their tap water if they can

and Dallas is forecast to get tropical storm force winds with heavy rain in the next few hours

#89 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

I'm back home, we got no rain , wind up to 50 mph. No damge at all here at Por tO'Connor,probally 95 miles down the coast from Freeport,
We stayed In Portland tx, Near Aranasas Pass right across the bridge from Corpus Christi, calm winds no more than 30 mph, no rain,
DB Diver. So your grandmothers house would have been fine. I have talked to friends, today this morning in Friendswood, lots of water, trees ,power lines down, No power. Baytown, got hammered, he has lost his roof, and no power. Rosenburg area, got rain some trees down still had power as of noon.
I hope all our members are ok and our prayers to the ones affected, and hope things get back to normal soon.

Any one who is out of Housing, and wants to head south to Port O'Connor, I have a spare room and couch. If any one in need, maybe some work at the shop putting th whole shop back togeather. Not much of a Kitchen right now, but we do mangge to eat good, with the out side cooker, BBQ pit, oven mico, dishwaher, no sink or cabinets, but jsut bought lots of food on the way home,, OOO and a big bottle of rum.. to help pass the days... :birthday:

#90 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

For members who want to check out there areas, KHOU.com has air flights of areas, of Houston , baytown, ect. , Said they are going to get as many areas up as possable as a public service for people who are away to be able to check on thier neighbothoods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users