• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

04: NorthWest Dive & Travel Expo April 25th and 26th 2009

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

My 2psi -- cheap is fine, so I'm OK with either Best Western or Econolodge. Walking is good for me! :D

I guess I need to check the web site for the show. Do we need to fly in Thurs and out Mon?
Posted Image

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

I think most people arrived on Friday and left either Sunday late or Monday. We will need volunteers for Friday so if you CAN arrive thursday that is awesome.

Thanks Keith that is great work. Now to get some feedback so we can work on a pkg or 2 pkgs. I think Sassi has booked a room at the Marriott so we may have two groups...one slightly higher upscale and one in the more economical options.

Thanks for your feedback! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

OK, if Friday is "setup" day, then I'll take that day off and fly in Thurs after I get off work, so for planning I'll need a room Thur/Fri/Sat night, and fly home Sunday.
Posted Image

#19 KeithT4U

KeithT4U

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water with over 20 dives in variety of locations, mucky lakes to FL reefs
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

Friday is indeed set up day with a social event for the exhbitors that evening. Saturday is a very full day with a treasure hunt dive in the morning and the show all dat and a general public party that evening. Sunday the show winds down and disassembles at 500pm. Looking at the website it looks like they are working better with the UPS store to handle shipping in and out of displays. Going by how things worked last year we did our HH on Saturday right after the show and made it back to the party in time to enjoy the band but missed the photo contest show. Not sure what we would want to plan this year as Brineybay has not chimed in but if we look at the old posts we might chose a place based on his recomendations. I did the hotels for the 4 nights so we might get a dive or 2 in some where thinking thursday evening would be great if we can all get in town soon enough. As for my plans I was thinking if I can get in early enough I might rent a minivan for the weekend and then I can play driver for every one else but it is still a while away to make that firm of a plan.

Keith
If at first you don't suceed.....don't try sky diving.
Women should always think beauty over brains since men can see much further than they can think. :)

#20 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:50 AM

l can put up a couple people...l'm about a half hour plus 4 dollar toll away
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#21 KeithT4U

KeithT4U

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water with over 20 dives in variety of locations, mucky lakes to FL reefs
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

I erred in the schedule. This year the treasure hunt is Friday morning with setup friday afternoon. This is good news for the volunteers that want to participate and also gives time to get the prize list done before the public show opens. So those that can bring your dive gear and arrive Thursday night. As for the water temps, I am extremely cold tolerant and dive a 7mil wet suit. With hood and gloves I can manage about 45 mins before my fingers start to go numb. I would strongly recomend those that are coming and plan on diving get dry suit qualified and if you don't own one rent one. The diving is awesome and there are lots of great things to see, ling cod are the coolest fish underwater, and tasty above it. Lets have some fun diving these great waters.

Keith
If at first you don't suceed.....don't try sky diving.
Women should always think beauty over brains since men can see much further than they can think. :)

#22 diverdeb

diverdeb

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

Kevin, Does that mean I can put you down to either help in the booth or come to the happy hour? Or BOTH?? :teeth: :unsure:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#23 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

My experience with other types of trade shows is that nearby hotels fill up fast, and this is now only 4 months away. Have we reserved a block of rooms yet for SD volunteers, or are we on our own to make reservations at one of the options listed earlier in the thread? I'm starting to look at making these travel plans & budget for it, now that the holidays are over & paid for!
Posted Image

#24 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

Tammie

I dont know yet that would be a wench question. personally for me my plane tickets wont be bought until about 45-60 days out as thats when the lower ticket buckets open up. As for hotels the big one for me atleast is to know where Rick Straton is having some of the after show events(reception, photo/video contest results show) as that will determine alot. personally I would like to be close to the show as it would make things easier in getting to events and such.

Speaking of the Treasure Hunt is SD going to put together a team for this as im coming up early to attend this event as i would love to have a shot a grand in cold hard cash, plus i have a nack for finding golf balls in poor/no viz conditions. Then is there any HP Steel (Like a 130) tanks available to borrow or rent for the Treasure Hunt

Then ? for seattle locals: at SEA-TAC are/is there luggage storage at the airport? reason is that I may need to add a side trip to go see a client after the show and dont want to haul all the gear with me if i dont need to

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

Thanks Kevin! That would be awesome! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

My experience with other types of trade shows is that nearby hotels fill up fast, and this is now only 4 months away. Have we reserved a block of rooms yet for SD volunteers, or are we on our own to make reservations at one of the options listed earlier in the thread? I'm starting to look at making these travel plans & budget for it, now that the holidays are over & paid for!

No we have not. We need a count of who needs a room and/or wants one. We have at least one local area volunteer for a place to crash and I think we have a few folks staying with Sassi.

Now that the holidays are REALLY over we can start to work on this! LOL!

I am going to ask Tammy if she will help with who needs a room etc. So if you get a pm/email from her then you'll know why! She will ask if you are renting a room and if so where and for what nights and would you be willing to share. She will ask if you need to rent a room and if so willing to share etc. She will also ask if others have couches nearby or at least willing to come to the show to bring you to it. And well anything else she thinks of that is pertinent! :wakawaka:

formerly...

#27 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

Speaking of the Treasure Hunt is SD going to put together a team for this as im coming up early to attend this event as i would love to have a shot a grand in cold hard cash, plus i have a nack for finding golf balls in poor/no viz conditions. Then is there any HP Steel (Like a 130) tanks available to borrow or rent for the Treasure Hunt

I believe A-2-Z Scuba has larger capacity tanks for rent. My recommendation is to send Amy an email. The depths will be unlikely to exceed 40' and the hunt tends to go fairly fast, so based on a diver's air consumption it may be unlikley for that diver to have a need for a tank larger than what they normally dive in.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#28 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

No we have not. We need a count of who needs a room and/or wants one. We have at least one local area volunteer for a place to crash and I think we have a few folks staying with Sassi.

Now that the holidays are REALLY over we can start to work on this! LOL!

I am going to ask Tammy if she will help with who needs a room etc. So if you get a pm/email from her then you'll know why! She will ask if you are renting a room and if so where and for what nights and would you be willing to share. She will ask if you need to rent a room and if so willing to share etc. She will also ask if others have couches nearby or at least willing to come to the show to bring you to it. And well anything else she thinks of that is pertinent! :wakawaka:

AS most of the people attending this are local or within driving distance, I don't know if there will be a huge rush on hotel space, but it would be less stressful to be proactive. I am hoping to stay with friends up there but will let you all know if instead I will be joining the hotel bunk party. :dazzler:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

SHOW PLANNING UPDATE:

Hello everyone! I just wanted to give you all a show planning update or five. :teeth:

1. Carol aka Sassi will be our "Head-Chick-In-Charge" for the show and organizing our volunteer efforts with Rick Stratton the organizer of the show. (He loved her last year and I'm sure it had nothing to do with her military precision coordination and problem resolution skills she demonstrated last year at the show!) :whistle: In any event we are HONORED to have her taking the lead on the show this year.

2. Dan aka ScubaTooth will be our "Boy-Scout-On-Steriods" running the wildly famous sessions with Rogest and other projects Rick entrusts exclusively to "Boy-Scout-On-Steriods" types. :dance: We are THRILLED to have him join the team again and am eager to see how he sustains the cold if he does the Treasure Hunt! :dazzler:

3. Keith aka KeithT4U will be our "Do-Anything-You-Need-Guy-Extradinaire" and will be doing just that....ANYTHING THE EVENT NEEDS! He too was invaluable last year and again I am EXCITED he is going to join us again!

4. Tammy aka Landlocked Dive Nut will be our "Get-Your-Ducks-In-A-Row" gal and will be dotting i's and crossing t's for us in terms of organizational stuff! This will be her first trip to the PNW and I know she will love it! :cool1:

5. I just spoke with Rick Stratton and he will start formal planning for the show's volunteers etc. around Feb 1. I will keep our event organizers apprised of this schedule so they can be involved. :cool1:

6. We will need more help such as official guides/drivers etc. Looks like Kevin has already offered to help and we'll certainly need some more members to help out in anyway they can...work the booth, work the show, facilitating the workers of the show/booth etc.

Again :wakawaka: all for your amazing support and help! :respect:

formerly...

#30 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

George and I will be getting a room at the Hotel Murano, which is where we always stay. They only glitch will be if George is writing any exams after that weekend (they go until the 28th), in which case we might not be able to make it. BTW, assuming we will make it I will need a bigger SD t-shirt - my belly will be huge by then :wakawaka:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users