• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What would you do??

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox/Cave
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

:pray: hehe. I completely understand where you're comming from and heed the advice and suggestions happily.

I am, just as you said, way too much of an adrenaline junkie / thrill seeker. I don't think I could do a desk job or anything resembling one. I think its the risks that make me like what I do. Thus my attraction to jobs like law enforcement and military. I'd be happy to take you up on that internship though. I could totally use a cup of coffee haha.

Edited by BeachJunkie, 30 January 2009 - 11:34 AM.

Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

Working on my PHD in CQB one house at a time.

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

:welcome: hehe. I completely understand where you're comming from and heed the advice and suggestions happily.

I am, just as you said, way too much of an adrenaline junkie / thrill seeker. I couldn't don't think I could do a desk job or anything resembling one. I think its the risks that make me like what I do. Thus my attraction to jobs like law enforcement and military. I'd be happy to take you up on that internship though. I could totally use a cup of coffee haha.

LOL!!! You are on! :pray:

However I must get back to the work at hand...but TRUST ME...you will get that cup of coffee and you'll get all the EXPERIENCE you can handle!

Just want you and everyone to remember that you ASKED FOR IT! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

Junkie, have you looked into a lovely combination of LE and Military? I've got a good friend who was USMC, a scout sniper, who went through this degree program with me. But he really wanted to get back to a life that at least had occasional adrenaline rushes. So he's now in Border Patrol. He gets the law enforcement aspect, plus occasionally gets some serious adrenaline fixes.

Even better, there's DEA, which may actually utilize all of your skills, LE, Military AND diving. Uncle Sam will pay about the same or better than local LE agencies, the bennies are great, the retirement even better, and a far better utilization of your current skill sets down the road. And DEA has a nice presence in the Keys......... Just sayin'.......... :wakawaka:

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#19 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

Oh they're certainly on the list of perspective employment oppertunities. I like some aspects of local, and some of federal. Plus, my time in the military will transfer over to any federal employment and make it that much sooner than I can retire!! We'll see what happens. I didn't know that they did much in the keys though. Is that one of those things where you have to have been there for a while in oder to get lucky enough to be stationed there? As far as border patrol goes, they have tried multiple times to get me already. They send recruiters to the bases. I just don't think I could handle being in some crappy middle of nowhere town in south texas or california. Plus I have other issues with the BP that I won't expound on since I'm trying to stay semi on topic. Thanks for the suggestions though!
Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

#20 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

I gotcha, and I'm trackin' on the BP thing. What I'm aiming at is this: IDC for the dive skills, college for the CJ/LE booklearning and skills, something like DEA for da job that will make for an awesome retirement at an early age while giving you plenty of opportunities to dive/teach/play on the side before retirement. :wakawaka:
Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#21 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Before I went back to school I got my instructor training done and taught a few scuba classes. I had an invite to go dive new dive sites and put in moorings. I wish I had done it. Unfortunately for me it was a timing issue. If I could do it over again, I would have started looking earlier and found a 6 month opportunity some where to work in diving.

So I say go for it! Otherwise, you may have some regrets in the future.

:wakawaka:

#22 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

Absolutely do it! You need to grab those types of opportunities whenever they present themselves. You may not get another chance. It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. :wakawaka:

I agree with the Sandy!!! You sound to be about 25 or so. Believe me, you will blink and be 40 with a mortgage, maybe a spouse and kids. You will never have this chance again. If it works out and you fall into a lucrative career, cool. If not you have plenty of time for school and real life.

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#23 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

"Making a living in the diving industry" is a misnomer. You change your living and you adapt your lifestyle to that of self imposed minimums/limits/doing without so you can DIVE, be around DIVING, and try to SURVIVE doing what you love!

If you have a gainful career and/or have retired well off...then diving is easy and you can more readily teach on the side for the fun of it or for some material gain and great stress release...

..Do you want to work for a dive company selling their merchandise?..

..get as many things done as you can now ie. schooling, certifications, get experience where you can and then when the time comes...seize the opportunities where you can AFTER you have secured a career and a retirement future.

WreckWench has hit the nail on the head with this, as I can tell you from my own experience.

I spent years in another industry, but have wanted to be working in scuba for a while. Last year, I was finally able to make the break and went to work with a firm that manufactures dive computers for the military and civilian market both in the US and beyond. The money isn't what attracted me--in fact, most folks would consider it less than spectacular compared to my previous life--but I find rewards in this that go so far past money that there's no real way to explain why I made the change in a way that makes obvious sense to someone else.

Yes, I changed my lifestyle in some very significant ways, but would not change the decision for all the tea in China.

Besides, I can always go back to doing what I did before in a pinch, or even as a sideline if circumstances require it (thanks to the "schooling, certifications" and such earned earlier in life) so as zac said all the eggs needn't be in one basket, but several as needed.

You have an edge over many folks (including me) in that being a younger individual, you have the time to experiment without harming your chances or ability to change course as required to navigate towards success.

Use that to your advantage.

#24 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

Yup, I'm 25. I feel old though haha. Does that count? Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and do this. I haven't really found any negatives to it yet (minus the money and skipped semester... I have both money and time right now). Now all I have to do is narrow it down to where I'll be doing it. Any suggestions for that part?

#25 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:00 AM

Yup, I'm 25. I feel old though haha. Does that count? Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and do this. I haven't really found any negatives to it yet (minus the money and skipped semester... I have both money and time right now). Now all I have to do is narrow it down to where I'll be doing it. Any suggestions for that part?

I suggest you look again at Thailand. Sure the airfare will set you back some, but once you're here living expenses are low. You plan to return to the US for your college studies anyway, so you'll have lots of opportunity to dive the Caribbean, and you won't have the time or resources to come halfway round the world to dive over here where it's so different. Now, however, you do have the time, and I'm willing to bet that in the long run you won't spend any more by coming here than you do by going to Mexico or Honduras. And it IS worth it!
Come dive with me in Thailand!

#26 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:02 AM

All of the internships that I've looked at in Thailand have been THOUSANDS of dollars more on top of the additional 700 dollars for airfair. The two that stood out to me were Aquanauts and Mermaids. While pattaya seems like an AWESOME place to party it up and hang out and dive for a few months, I can't see spending that much money on it right now. I completely understand the allure of doing the schooling in Asia as, like you said, its not a place that I will get to visit and enjoy frequently like the Carribean. I've been looking at the all inclusive style IDC's with housing. Also looking for ones that will give me a chance to actually work as a DM or Instructor instead of just certifying me and kickin me out the door. The two that I'm trying to decide between (so far) allow you the chance to work as a DM while waiting/studying for your IE and you get to keep any and all tips. They both also afford you the chance to work for them afterwards and work towards additional specialty instructor ratings. I'll certainly look into thailand as it would be a cool place to live for a while. If you have any suggestions, by all means, shoot them at me. I've still got time to decide where I'm going to do this and want to get all the first hand information I can. You can promise the world on a website and pick and choose your feedback postings but nothing is better than word of mouth!

Heres another question to add to the thread. If you were going to be doing unlimited diving somewhere would you prefer Phuket/Pattaya Thailand, Manzanillo Mexico, or the Domican Republic?

I'm open to any and all suggestions for places to seek training!

Thanks for the suggestion Quero!

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:13 AM

Phuket/Pattaya Thailand

Then you'll be SPOILED for the rest of your diving career by comparison. Quero lives there and may be able to help you. If I were to choose a place to dive for this situation...it would be Thailand.

DR to my knowledge does NOT get that many divers so getting tips from minimum numbers of students may be a bit misleading. You should query the schools as to how many divers actually go there. Search the internet to see how many operators in the area. Mexico should be a better situation but not as good as Thailand.

Also the cliental from Thailand will be mostly Brits, and peeps from the other side of the pond. That may or may not be an advantage! I'm sure no matter WHERE you go to school EVERYONE will want to know about SingleDivers.com! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#28 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

I'll be sure to shamelessly plug SD every chance I get :teeth:

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:32 AM

I'll be sure to shamelessly plug SD every chance I get :-D

You say the NICEST things! :teeth:

formerly...

#30 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:34 AM

Hey BeachJunkie, watch your six so you can enjoy doing whatever you decide to do...

That said, I have to put in my two cents from my life experiences. If you want to do this, do it. I've taken a wandering path through my working career and while some might say I should have had more focus, the ride has been great. I started teaching in an inner city school in Houston, made a few moves within the US, hopped the pond to China for a year, did a couple other things on the side, got certs here and there and a couple of degrees in the process. The broad base of life experience and classroom seat (or that 'other' word :teeth: ) time opens up a wider view of life for me that I couldn't have gotten any other way.

As for the diving part, I'm a newbie and I'll freely admit it. But I'll say this, my first experience with anything close to scuba was when I had an opportunity to snorkel in Puket. WOW!!! You would be AMAZED at where you get to dive. WWs already said this, but I will echo it (as I find myself doing a lot with what she says :-D ). Thailand is cheap living, people like to go there, and you will love the diving (did I say that already :diver: ). If I were 25 and doing it all over again... a semester is very short time (a year is too...), especially if you have a plan to follow to go back into school after doing your dive training so that as others have said, your eggs aren't in one basket. As far as the $$ outlay for Thailand over the others...my personal opinion, do Thailand, it's worth it. How worth it... let's just say I've been reading this thread with my own thoughts about IDC at forty-something, and trying to figure out how a year off sabatical might be done within my latest teaching career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users