• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

motivational ideas for my daughter?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

Motivation might be the boy to girl ratio she might find in Scuba?

Yes but does dad REALLY want his baby girl going out with most of the guys he knows in scuba???

After all they old enough to be her dad or granddad!! :teeth:

:o :usflag: :-D LOL!!

#17 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

Yes but does dad REALLY want his baby girl going out with most of the guys he knows in scuba???

After all they old enough to be her dad or granddad!! :usflag:

lol. the beautiful young lady that was my dive buddy for the whole Rescue Diver class is 21. She had qualities (intelligence, drive, personality, manners and the way she carried herself) that even most women I encounter my age (and almost unheard of for those her age) could not grasp (her mom was just as nice). Figures, I find a woman that I would even consider asking out and I'm old enough to be her dad (usually they're already married (or in 'man hater' mode or just plain whacko!). :teeth:

but I digress.. I have noticed that my daughter is more openly talking about boys.. maybe I should re-think this whole scuba offer.. she will be locked up in the house till she's 32 anyway :-D
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

After all they old enough to be her dad or granddad!! :-D

lol. the beautiful young lady that was my dive buddy for the whole Rescue Diver class is 21. She had qualities (intelligence, drive, personality, manners and the way she carried herself) that even most women I encounter my age (and almost unheard of for those her age) could not grasp (her mom was just as nice). Figures, I find a woman that I would even consider asking out and I'm old enough to be her dad (usually they're already married (or in 'man hater' mode or just plain whacko!). :usflag:

but I digress.. I have noticed that my daughter is more openly talking about boys.. maybe I should re-think this whole scuba offer.. she will be locked up in the house till she's 32 anyway :ninja:

First I'm glad you can recognize that you are too old for gals only a few years older than your own daughter! :teeth: Most men I know look in the mirror and see 22+ when in reality they are 42+ or 62+ if you know what I mean! :-D

Secondly as long as she thinks ALL older men are like her dad then you are safe! (And most will be in your age bracket so its a safe bet!) And if you are diving on an SD trip I will be the protective mother hen so even if a guy forgets his real age...I won't! :o

On the other hand...you just might meet a great pkg deal...mom and son dives. We have several members who fall into that category! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#19 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

I started my daughter in scuba rangers when she was 11 or 12. She got certified when she was 13. I am a scuba ranger instructor so she went with me all the time before she was certified. She had tons of pool time and was extremely comfortable in the water. I never, ever pushed her to do it. At 13 she wanted to get certified so she did. She did great. Her training dives at the springs went well. I didn't teach her at all. She went on her first dive in the Gulf right after that.

She is 21 now and has gone diving 2 times since then. I work part time at a dive shop with a charter boat. She could go whenever she wanted and could have any gear she wanted. She's just not that into it.

Her friends think I am SO cool because I dive. To her it's just something her mom does. My guess is that is part of the deal with your daughter.

The other part is, your daughter is 15 - boys and friends are the only things that are important in her life right now. LOL.

Hopefully it is something she will come back to when she's a little older. She's a really good diver. Sorry, I don't guess that was very encouraging. :teeth: Just being honest.

Edited by diverdeb, 02 July 2009 - 08:42 AM.

As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#20 pam_b

pam_b

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:57 AM

After all they old enough to be her dad or granddad!! :usflag:

Possible dive trip bff's for your daughter

She may be a bit old for this crew, but do the Jonas Brothers dive??? Even if they don't, they seem like such nice boys.... :teeth: !!!! And you could invite Miley Cyrus to chaperone!!!!

Just an aside...I'm not remembering crushing on such nice kids when I was her age. The "brother bands" of my [our] generation [1960's-70's]---the Allman Brothers, the Doobie Brothers, etc---had "different" sorts of reputations, if you know what I mean....

Just a suggestion!!!
Pam_B.

#21 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

I don't have any daughters, but I do have three boys (current ages are 26, 23, and 20). I was also a Boy Scout leader for over 15 years, so have some degree of experience working with that particular age group outside my own family. I know that 15-year-old boys are almost impossible to motivate to do anything that they do not want to do. In Scouting, we have an expression for it - we say they have been "overcome by fumes (car fumes and per-fumes)". :D

All three of my boys are certified, and I was their instructor - we did not have any real "personal conflict" issues (at least over diving :banghead:), and I felt that no one would be as vested in training them safely as I was.

I certified my oldest son at age 12, and what I learned from that experience is that 12 is really too young to be certifying people for SCUBA. He did fine with the academics and skills, but where he was really lacking was in judgement during the dives. We had a couple of minor scares with him right after he was certified, and in hindsight I think he would have been much better off waiting a couple of years. Overall however, he enjoyed diving a lot, and after he got a little older, I took him on some trips with me whenever I had OW checkout dives.

My middle son was certified at age 14 (which FYI is the minimum age that Boy Scouts will allow SCUBA certification), and he did much better with the post-certification diving. He really liked the experience of being underwater, but had issues with seasickness, and never really went diving again after his first couple of dive trips in the ocean. I guess he did not get enough enjoyment out of the diving part to compensate for the misery of being seasick. :unhappy:

With my youngest, I did his classroom and pool training when he was 15, but then he did not seem real eager to go on the checkout dives right away (that whole "fumes" thing again :D). It was about three years before he finally did the cert dives, and I think the thing that motivated him was that one of his high school buddies took the OW class from me at the university, and so I invited my son to go along on the trip to buddy with his friend. They had a great time together, and by that time my son was independent and mature enough that I never felt like I had to be constantly supervising him on the dives.

So echo3, I am thinking that maybe the way to get your daughter motivated is to work on some of her friends to get certified. Maybe if someone in her own age group gets interested, then she will be too.

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#22 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

She is 21 now and has gone diving 2 times since then......
..... The other part is, she's 15 - boys and friends are the only things that are important in her life right now. LOL.

?????

Edited by peterbj7, 01 July 2009 - 10:41 AM.

#23 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:44 AM

12 is really too young to be certifying people for SCUBA

Something we agree on 100%! I was talking to an old timer here a few days ago, someone who first taught diving 40 years ago and still does it from time to time, and he shares the view that 14 is a far safer age. Though even then it depends on the individual.

#24 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

12 is really too young to be certifying people for SCUBA

Something we agree on 100%!

Wow - can an Eagles reunion concert be far behind? :banghead:

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#25 Morish Idol

Morish Idol

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:in the process of completing my OW class.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Jim G
just for you information... there was an Eagles Reunion a few yrs back. might want to pick some other band there. just thought you should know.

#26 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:44 PM

just for you information... there was an Eagles Reunion a few yrs back. might want to pick some other band there. just thought you should know.

OK, maybe my particular brand of humor is a little too subtle. What I had reference to was the title of their reunion album - Hell Freezes Over. I guess maybe the joke is not as funny if you try to explain it. :banghead:

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

OK, maybe my particular brand of humor is a little too subtle. What I had reference to was the title of their reunion album - Hell Freezes Over. I guess maybe the joke is not as funny if you try to explain it. :unhappy:

-JimG

Thanks for explaining...NOW I see the pun/play on words and its FUNNY! :banghead:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#28 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

I actually thought it was funny anyway, and I hadn't appreciated the double meaning. I quite like the Eagles but I know very little about them, and I'd never heard of that album.

#29 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

She is 21 now and has gone diving 2 times since then...... My daughter
..... The other part is, she's 15 - boys and friends are the only things that are important in her life right now. LOL. His daughter

?????

Edited by diverdeb, 02 July 2009 - 08:40 AM.

As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#30 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

well, got to talk to my daughter over the weekend..

from what she tells me, there's no reason why. She did mention that maybe she's too lazy, but that may have been her playing around or being sarcastic. Hard to tell, I couldn't understand teen age girls when I was at that age and x number of years later, I still haven't figured it out!
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users