• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010 Health & Fitness Challenge?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#91 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

I have never had an issue with drinking enough water. I generally get 5 to 6 liters a day. Of course, keeping a 2 liter beside my desk and taking a slurp every time I am waiting for something to load may inflate my intake a bit. :)

Now its friday, so that means it is Cardio night at the gym. I rode the bike first for 28min and 290 cal. After that onto the arc walker for 30min and 340cal. I also found that I rather enjoy the strategy that goes into curling. Who'd a thunk it.

I came home and took the dog for a walk as usual. (This time sans snowshoes, boots, and... pants.) At least one of those items would have been appreciated.

So did you meet your fitness goals today?

#92 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

:birthday: Walking the dogs without pants......I'm SO glad I don't have any pets! :)

Just got home from the gym, did cardio and lower-body strength, and 30 minutes in the hot sauna to relax the muscles. I LOVE the hot box!
Posted Image

#93 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

I did at least have shorts on :) I would have liked the boots actually, I had a couple of steps that got snow in my shoes that would probably have been blocked by the boots. Fortunately my snowshoes had smooshed the trail down enough that it was rare.

I think now that I have been using it for a year and a half, that there is no way I could live without my hot tub. It is like the perfect end to all of the day's activities.

#94 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

Well, today is another gym day, and I made it again. Since yesterday I devoted to cardio, today was mostly about strength. I started out with 20min on the arc walker for a warmup. Then I bumped all my normal weights up a notch or two and lifted about 40min.

So, did you meet your fitness goals for today?

#95 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

Joe???!!! Have you fallen and can't get up because there's a big ol' pooch on your chest?

You're behind in your fitness goals reporting. :birthday:
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#96 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

Crud, someone has figured out my schedule :birthday: Sorry, I had to stomp out a virus before I could get online. (Make sure your Adobe is up to date everyone.)

So anyway, It was gym night again. I went with weights, followed by a 29 minute ride on the bike for 260 calories. I was kind of dragging. Normally I average around 240 Watts, tonight I was only getting 210. When I came home it was drizzling, and almost every step was in an inch or two puddle of ice water. For some reason I decided to skip walking Luffy. Hopefully someday he will forgive me.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I could probably use him for extra resistance doing sit ups.... if he knew how to sit still. :birthday:

I couldn't think of any way to rephrase it (maybe too late) So I'll just stick with:

Did you meet your fitness goals today?

#97 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

Good for you - you seem to have a good routine going. :respect:

How in the world did you come up with a name like Luffy?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#98 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

He has the honor (dubious though it may be) of being named after my favorite cartoon character Monkey D Luffy. Maybe that is why he acts like a lap dog, despite being several sizes too large. :respect:

#99 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

Wee gym day again. This time I switched it up and did cardio first, then strength. Today there were still puddles (skimmed with ice) and it was snowing a bit, but Luffy got his walk anyway.

So for a bit a variation today, have you made progress towards you fitness goals since last you posted? Why or why not?

Personally the same thing that made one of my goals easy (going to the gym) is the same thing that is making one of my other goals really hard (quitting caffeine.) I am very much a creature of habit. Adding in a left turn on the way home was easy, unfortunately every time my hand reaches for a can of soda that is not on my desk, I think "Maybe I'll just buy one for today, I am kinda tired." At which point my willpower crumples and I wander to the vending machines.

#100 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Oh no, Joe! You need to get your 'stubborn' on! I gave up caffeine quite a few years ago. Trust me, you're not in the need of caffeine if you're feeling tired, just some healthy kind of fuel. Eat some fruit (fresh or dried) instead, and see if that helps with the afternoon yawns. Drink plenty of water, and get 8 hours of sleep if you can.
Posted Image

#101 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

Bleck, fruit. That is something else that I should probably do. Make myself overcome my aversion to fruits and start consuming them on a regular basis.

On to today's gym visit. I noticed last time I was there that the lady next to me entered in her weight and a challenge level. I decided to give that a shot this time and go for a slightly longer ride. I started out at level 5 and made it about 15min before I thought maybe level 3 would be a good idea. After a while I realized that 2 was an absolutely stellar number and everyone likes it anyway so I went with that. On the upside I managed to cram about 720 calories of effort into 45 minutes, which is substantially more then I usually get in an hour.

Luffy got his usual slog to act as a cool down.

Now I think it is time to sprawl in the hot tub though.

I am still waiting to hear from all you people who accepted the challenge and now seem strangely silent.

Do you still strive in the fitness challenge?

#102 bowjunkie

bowjunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

Bleck, fruit. That is something else that I should probably do. Make myself overcome my aversion to fruits and start consuming them on a regular basis.

On to today's gym visit. I noticed last time I was there that the lady next to me entered in her weight and a challenge level. I decided to give that a shot this time and go for a slightly longer ride. I started out at level 5 and made it about 15min before I thought maybe level 3 would be a good idea. After a while I realized that 2 was an absolutely stellar number and everyone likes it anyway so I went with that. On the upside I managed to cram about 720 calories of effort into 45 minutes, which is substantially more then I usually get in an hour.

Luffy got his usual slog to act as a cool down.

Now I think it is time to sprawl in the hot tub though.

I am still waiting to hear from all you people who accepted the challenge and now seem strangely silent.

well i see the Dr. on Monday!! I hope he lets me get at it :wub:
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under..'- Ronald Reagan

#103 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

I hoped by now to be doing more for fitness, but am settling for increasing my water intake and walking. I am cutting out caffeine entirely, which means no soda pop and on doctor's advice I'm going to start going towards a vegetarian diet. The trick is knowing what to eat on that kind of diet to get my nutrition in balance. I am waiting for a cookbook from Amazon to arrive and I'll see what cooking meatless looks like. (Er, okay, I'll see what cooking my meals looks like, and in addition learning to cook with ingredients I haven't tried before!) :wub:

Anybody have a favorite meatless recipe?

#104 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:10 AM

bowjunkie- Do you feel like there is any reason the doc should stop you?

uwfan- Careful analysis of my diet has found only two things that I make that don't have meat: Peanut butter sandwiches and salads. Err oops, my salads have bacon bits on them. I guess I won't be of much help in your transition :wub:

#105 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:59 AM

Anybody have a favorite meatless recipe?

There are a ton of good recipes online. I like allrecipes.com and oh, poo... can't think of the other. What I love about the sites is the recipes are rated so you can see what others thought of them, and how they modified them or what they'd do different next time. Epicurious.com - is the other. There are probably some good vegetarian only sites. Put that new fast internet connection to work for you. :wub:

I'm not sure how big of a city you live in but our local coops here have cooking classes including vegetarian. You might even find something in your local adult ed if that's available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users