• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010 Health & Fitness Challenge?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#121 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Barb! I'll have to check with my doctor... tricky all these new food rules! :fish:

I think I'm gonna try to figure out quinoa and teff this weekend-- apparently they're whole grains, who knew! :)

#122 firefighter1517

firefighter1517

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:6

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:13 AM

[quote name='WreckWench' date='Dec 27 2009, 07:08 AM' post='262161']
Hey gang...lets ALL take a health, nutrition and fitness challenge in 2010.

I for one need to lose some 'selling your home/moving stress related weight' and I know most people will have a few pounds from the Holidays to knock off not to mention we aren't getting any younger :birthday: so health and nutrition are even more important.

Anyone want to join me? We can use the site for support, set up a private forum like we do for trips so that those choosing to participate can do so with privacy and we can make 2010 the HEALTHIEST YEAR so far!

For inspiration click HERE.

Those Wanting to Take the SD 2010 Health & Fitness Challenge:

1. Kamala aka wreckwench
2. Heidi aka uwfan
3. Clint aka ScubaClint
4. Tammy aka LLDN
5. Charles aka Houston Squid
6. Mark aka Capn Jack
7. Carla aka rkymtwy
8. Teresa aka Mermaid Lady
9. Dan aka Scubatooth
10. Rodney aka diver_runner_artcollector
11. Larry aka orcaman
12. Matt aka Rumblebee
13. Beth aka Bubbles
14. Lynn aka lynnlchan
15. Sandy aka Starfish Sandy
16. Fred aka ev780
17. Debbie aka diverdeb
18. John aka PlatypusMan
19. Jim aka UP Diver
20. Victoria aka Victoria
21. Danny Wilson aka firefighter1517]

#123 firefighter1517

firefighter1517

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:6

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

Hey Guys.
Getting ready for my Dive Master classes and I am proud to say I have lost 74 pounds in 6 months. I now am doing the Insanity workouts and I swear the fitness trainer is the anti Christ. Anyone wanting to loos pounds or inches just hang in there and work you butts off and you can get there.
Danny

#124 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Any chance we can get this going for 2011?

I might be riding RAGBRAI this summer and would love to kick off the new year with a health/fitness challenge.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#125 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:10 PM

I'd be limited at first in the fitness area... but the health part I DEFINITELY would be glad to have support and encouragement from others in being healthy in 2011. Eating right will be my number one goal for 2011.

#126 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:28 AM

Any chance we can get this going for 2011?

I might be riding RAGBRAI this summer and would love to kick off the new year with a health/fitness challenge.

Lynn,

You go girl!!! I have heard of this, but never actually looked into it. Checked out the website, quite a ride!!!

I do a lot of short rides in the Summer. Then squeeze in a long ride or two each year, but doing that length of rides that many days in a row will be quite a challenge. It looks like it is quite a popular event. Best of Luck!!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#127 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

Lynn,

You go girl!!! I have heard of this, but never actually looked into it. Checked out the website, quite a ride!!!

I do a lot of short rides in the Summer. Then squeeze in a long ride or two each year, but doing that length of rides that many days in a row will be quite a challenge. It looks like it is quite a popular event. Best of Luck!!

RAGBRAI will be a huge challenge. There's a lottery to get in so we'll see. You're welcome to do it with us even for a day or two. Does your girlfriend ride?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#128 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

I definitely think there should be another challenge next year!! Since I signed up I guess there is due an update. :P

Although nowhere close to firefighter1517, (excellent job BTW)I did get over some strange mystery illness that lasted 18 months and cost the healthcare system close to $100,000. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Also, recovered from a very sick gall bladder and some complications of that surgery. Lost 20lbs and have been in the gym consistently for the last month and a half. Feeling better and looking forward to 2011!!! Getting old is not that much fun really and I don’t recommend it. :verysad: :lol:

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#129 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

Lynn,

RAGBRAI will be a huge challenge. There's a lottery to get in so we'll see. You're welcome to do it with us even for a day or two. Does your girlfriend ride?

Yes, it is a huge, huge challenge. I saw the lottery, that is because it attracts so many people, that is so cool. I didn't realize I could go for just a day or two, I will have to continue to check out the website, maybe I will take you up on your offer. The other side of it is, no the girlfriend isn't much of a rider, so it would be just another week of vacation I am using without her.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#130 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

I don't have anything that exciting coming up but I do need to get in better shape for diving/additional training.

To that end, I'm trying to get started on my new year's resolution a month early so that it is already a habit by new year's! I'd love to participate in something on SD.com. What I've done so far:
  • talked to a trainer at the gym and will sign up with them next week (bc historically, I just won't go if I'm not paying someone to hold me accountable. :blush2:)
  • started writing down what I am eating.
  • Already cut 90% of fast food out of my diet and don't think I can cut 100% but will continue to keep amount WAY DOWN
  • limit my coke addiction to no more than one a day (and I didn't have any yesterday!)
  • Get back to drinking 64+ ounces of water daily

Inspire me - tell me what you are doing!!! and why!

And in the interest of full disclosure... a not-insignificant part of my motivation is that I just really don't want want to drop +1k on a drysuit at my current weight!!!
  • lv2dive70 likes this
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#131 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

I'm with you, Kate! When I started to outgrow my dive gear, I decided it's time to get serious about losing the extra weight. I started a new diet & exercise regime 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and lost 17 lbs so far. I'm taking this weekend off, because of the KC Happy Hour / Chiefs tailgating & football game event. No way am I tailgating and not eating/drinking! :P But, back on track on Monday morning! I will be well on my way to being more healthy by the Bonaire trip in March....and my gear will fit much better! :lmao:
Posted Image

#132 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

Congratulations Tammy! 17 pounds -that's fabulous! Glad you get to show off at a happy hour!! :-)

I'm with you, Kate! When I started to outgrow my dive gear, I decided it's time to get serious about losing the extra weight. I started a new diet & exercise regime 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and lost 17 lbs so far. I'm taking this weekend off, because of the KC Happy Hour / Chiefs tailgating & football game event. No way am I tailgating and not eating/drinking! :P But, back on track on Monday morning! I will be well on my way to being more healthy by the Bonaire trip in March....and my gear will fit much better! :lmao:

How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#133 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:15 AM

Good for both you guys - Kate and Tammy. Kate - fast food is too convenient some times. At least there are some healthier options now.

17 is awesome Tammy - that's not easy. What are you doing?

Keith - I hear a lot of folks jump in and ride a day or two of RAGBRAI. They're just not 'official'. My sister-in-law, neice and maybe brother may be doing a day or two. SIL is a good athlete and has a load of determination. She did her first marathon at 40 and a tri two months after completing chemo for breast cancer. She inspires me.

#134 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:58 PM

I had planned on being part of the challenge but i effectively took myself and my back out 2 weeks into the year. As a result of hurting my back i ended up gaining 15lbs before surgery. Well now after surgery with PT and a few other changes im down 10 lbs, that im hoping to keep going into next year.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#135 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:20 PM

Good for both you guys - Kate and Tammy. Kate - fast food is too convenient some times. At least there are some healthier options now.

17 is awesome Tammy - that's not easy. What are you doing?

Keith - I hear a lot of folks jump in and ride a day or two of RAGBRAI. They're just not 'official'. My sister-in-law, neice and maybe brother may be doing a day or two. SIL is a good athlete and has a load of determination. She did her first marathon at 40 and a tri two months after completing chemo for breast cancer. She inspires me.

I'm doing the HCG diet, and lots of exercise. 500 calories a day isn't much, but if they're the right calories, your body feeds on it's excess fat. Working for me, anyway.....
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users