• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010 Health & Fitness Challenge?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#61 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

Already a foot of snow here in Durham NC and expected to continue until late tonight and then down to 10 degrees. Just finished running 5 miles on Duke Forest wooded trails. Reminded me of running on sand dunes in Oregon. Now I know some of you have these kind of conditions where you live, but you still have to find a way to exercise if you are serious. When I lived in Fairbanks Alaska for a year, I ran in 50 below and snow roads. Still, amazing how I lost five pounds diving in Belize on the trip a few weeks ago, more than I lose from my running, which is basically 35 miles running equals 3500 calories or one pound. :teeth:

We talked about this some on the trip - you rarely see runners up here in the winter. There's enough thawing and refreezing to create icy spots. Most trails and sidewalks have a mix of ice and snow glued to them by now. People break ankles just walking to their car.

I agree you need to find a way to exercise if you're committed. My goal is to do 40 minutes a day (I started with 20), six days a week of either cardio or strength training. I'm not focusing on food other then to make healthy choices most of the time along with correct portions.

Speaking of committed... I'm doing a pub crawl by bicycle tomorrow. The high will be around 16 degrees and this will be my first winter bicycling experience. :thankyou: Studded tires required (for me). http://afullpannier.blogspot.com/
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#62 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

Great story in this weekend's NY Times Magazine about anti-aging effects of exercise, especially in maintaining cells' youth-- http://well.blogs.ny...g/?ref=magazine

Also for those who do not know me as Lynn does from our Belize trip, I am almost 63. :teeth:

#63 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hey gang...see updates on the challenge HERE!!!

A tad late but better late than never! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#64 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

Here is a Link to Dan magazine section has a nice picture example's of different exercise's.Theres a young male giving the examples ,I'm sure will raise some interest in our female gender.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image <H1 class="dive-slate diveFitnessMain">Core Body Strength
</H1>Strong core muscles are the key to improved balance and stability.

By Jessica B. Adams, Ph.D

Scuba diving can be a relaxing sport, but it also requires a certain degree of muscular strength and endurance. The weight and bulk of dive gear alone places an additional load on your body, and as divers we must always be physically and mentally prepared for the challenging conditions that sometimes arise in the dynamic underwater world. This new column is dedicated to sharing the best in fitness tips, techniques and practical exercises that will help you dive safer and stronger. In this issue we focus on the core — the abdominal and lower back muscles that control balance and stability. In subsequent articles we'll also target the lower- and upper-body muscle groups that divers use most.

NOTE: Strenuous exercise following a dive may increase the risk of decompression sickness. DAN recommends divers avoid exercise for 24 hours after surfacing.

Building Better Balance
Strong core muscles are the key to improved balance and stability. Better balance and stability is the key to success in virtually all athletic performance, whether it's driving the 18th green or just trying to keep your balance while donning dive gear. Diving presents unique challenges to the core muscles because the load placed on the body by dive gear is distributed differently than normal body weight. The result is a shift in your center of gravity upward and more posterior, forcing the core muscles to react differently than normal. When your core isn't up to the task, common results include muscle strain (as other muscles attempt to make up for the core deficiencies), lower back pain and wipeouts on the dive deck.

The human body is a unique machine that responds directly to the stresses it encounters. Therefore, it is important to progressively train your core musculature to respond to the loads it will carry during dive activities. Divers require core muscles to predominantly work as stabilizers, and for this reason, strengthening the core through isometric training yields maximum benefits. "Iso" means "same," and "metric" means "length," so simply stated, you work the muscles by holding them in a fixed, tensed position.

The plank is an isometric exercise that targets just your abdominal muscles. The secret to performing a plank is to pull the belly button toward your spine, thereby engaging the deepest abdominal muscle (transverse abdominis), which helps support the back. Beginners may be able to hold the plank position for only a few seconds at first, but keep at it and you'll see significant improvement in as little as two to three weeks. Alternate planks with arm/leg raises and work your way up to three sets of each exercise three to five times per week. Just as in diving, you should never hold your breath. It is important to keep breathing to avoid spikes in blood pressure.

Half Plank
Posted Image
Half Plank
FORM: Start by balancing on forearms and knees while keeping your body in alignment. Make sure that the elbows are directly under your shoulders and slowly move your knees backward until your buttocks are no longer sticking up in the air. Contract the abdominal muscles so that the back does not sag.

TRAINER TIPS: Keep your knees and forearms on a soft surface for comfort. Tilt the pelvis to keep the buttocks from sticking up.

CHALLENGE: When you can hold a half plank for 10 seconds, extend one leg to full plank and leave the other in half plank position. Repeat on the opposite side. When you can hold a half plank for 30 seconds, transition to a full plank.
Plank
Posted Image
Plank
FORM: From the half plank position extend one leg, then the other, transitioning your weight from your knees to your toes. Keep your elbows directly under the shoulders and hold your body in alignment by using your abdominal muscles to keep your buttocks from sticking up and your back from sagging.

TRAINER TIPS: If your back starts to arch, raise your hips slightly toward the ceiling. If you need to rest, drop one knee down to the half plank position.

CHALLENGE: When you can hold a full plank for 60 seconds, try hyper-extending (raising behind you) one leg, then the other, to incorporate the muscles of the lower back and buttocks.
Side Plank
Posted Image
Side Plank
FORM: Make sure that your elbow is directly beneath your shoulder. Balance on your forearm and hip, then gradually raise your hip off the ground into a half plank position. Now raise your knees off the ground into a full side plank position. Be sure to engage your shoulder in this action. Place your top foot in front creating a split stance for improved balance and make sure that your elbow is directly under the shoulder. Hold the position for as long as you can — up to 60 seconds at a time. Repeat on the other side.

TRAINER TIPS: Keep your body aligned — you should be able to draw a straight line from foot to knee to hip to shoulder. It is easier to balance if you rest your unengaged hand on the hip throughout the exercise.

Posted Image
Side Plank Challenge
CHALLENGE: To ramp this exercise up, stack your feet on top of one another and try completing the side plank with the lower arm extended, balancing on the hand instead of the forearm. Extend the top arm as well for a greater challenge.

Arm and Leg Raise
Posted Image
Arm and Leg Raise
FORM: Start by lying flat on your stomach, in a prone position, with your arms and legs fully extended. Simultaneously raise your opposite hand and foot off the floor. Hold each position for as long as you can — up to 30 seconds at a time. Then switch sides and repeat.

TRAINER TIPS: Keep your head in a neutral position (eyes on the floor), and raise your arms and legs in a slow controlled manner, as high as possible. When you feel as if your arms and legs are elevated as much as possible, try raising them a bit higher. You may surprise yourself.
Posted Image
Arm and Leg Raise Challenge
CHALLENGE: When you can hold the opposite arm and leg for 30 seconds, try raising both arms, then both legs. Once you have mastered holding arms and legs for 30 seconds, try raising arms and legs simultaneously.

© Alert Diver — Fall 2009

Posted Image
  • Core Body Strength
    Strong core muscles are the key to improved balance and stability.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#65 bowjunkie

bowjunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:19 AM

add me please
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under..'- Ronald Reagan

#66 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Or challenging each other.....

scubaclint & I are now trying to motivate each other by reporting our gym workouts via PM each day.....kind of like a long-distance workout buddy!

LLDN and scubaclint - how's it going? Are you keeping each other on track?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#67 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

I'll go ahead and join this challenge. So far I have quit drinking my favorite caffeinated soda (mostly), added one salad a day to my diet (up nearly infinite percent WOOO), and I've been going to the gym for about 2 weeks now.

#68 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

Good for you, Joe! Good on ya! Keep it up!
Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#69 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

LLDN and scubaclint - how's it going? Are you keeping each other on track?

We're both still at it! Clint usually beats me to the PM "report" each evening, telling me what he did for his workout, then I cheer his progress & report on what I did during my workout. We've got a goal to lose another 10-12 lbs each before the Bonaire trip, so we're motivated! We're honest about it, so we also report if we copped out and why....and that's motivating in it's own way.

A public "atta boy" to scubaclint for getting back to a regular exercise regime, and a "pat myself on the back" for finding new ways to stick with it. Clint, the long-distance gym partner thing is helping me! :wakawaka:
Posted Image

#70 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

Way to go LLDN and scubaclint... when I get some things in order I hope to REALLY join in! Gotta check on some things with the doc.

:wakawaka: :dance: :diver: GREAT JOB to BOTH of YOU!!! :birthday: :twist: :dance: :teeth:

#71 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Greg thanks for the eye candy with those exercises... the trouble tho with eye candy, just wanna look and not DO the exercises! :wakawaka:

#72 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Just to get this thread moving again...

Today I started off poorly and drank a Mt. Dew. (It was sooo goood.)
At the gym today I rode the arc walker for 30min and burned 350 calories.
Then I lifted weights for about 30min. Then I hopped onto the exercise bike for 23min and 230 calories. I had originally planned to just do cardio today and lift tomorrow, but I was convinced to help my dad move furniture so I did relatively light lifting today.

Then I came home and walked the dog about 1mile while wearing my snowshoes.

So, did you all meet your fitness goals for today?

Hmmm I wonder if I should mention the huge wad of frozen cookie dough I am noshing on.

#73 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

Just to get this thread moving again...

So, did you all meet your fitness goals for today?

I'm back on track. Did my half hour of strength this morning before work. This weekend I'm hoping to get the bicycle out. It's suppose to be a balmy 20F-something out. ;) I'm blaming you people. uwfan told me to mix it up when I got bored. :wub:

How about everyone else? Did you hit it today?

#74 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

The temps in the 30s combined with relative humidity in the mid- to high-90% range has been doing a number on my knees this week, so I'm not exercising much beyond getting my stiff self to and from work. But I'm counterbalancing with a ton of veggies and protein...and as close to zero carbs as the veggies will allow.

On the plus side, the first week of March I'm moving into an apartment complex that has two pools...one that's "resort style" and the other is an olympic sized lap pool. I WILL be using that often, once moved. I will prolly gear up and do laps on the bottom on occasion, too, just to keep the neighbors wondering! :wub: I will report further on that activity shortly!

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#75 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

Does the high protein diet help with your knees?

I'm also wondering - do people take any supplements for their joints and do they help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users