• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010 Health & Fitness Challenge?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#46 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:36 AM

Thank you Lynn! My clothes no longer fit as intended, which is very awesome. But as I have more to do I am trying to resist the urge to replace the baggy wardrobe. I've had to augment the "dress to impress for interviews and work" section of the closet, for my business suits and work clothes now hang on me...no, that's not accurate...the jackets hang and the pants quite literally fall off unaided. :unsure: I am loving it!!!!!
Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#47 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:28 AM

Bringing this topic back to the top. I'm hoping that the fitness types here will be able to assist me.

Edited by Victoria, 19 January 2010 - 12:29 AM.

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#48 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

adding a additional bump.

I have been pretty good on the challenge so far I even put my bike in the shop for a over haul so i can ride a couple times a week. I have hit a major road block though as I got hurt at work when I pulled muscles in my back and have something going one with my left arm.

WW let me know when you get unburied on the plan and suppliments as one of my goals is to really drop some weight this year so once my back is in shape i can start testing with fire departments so i can accomplish another goal of mine

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#49 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

I've lost quite a bit of weight since T-giving, but recently hit a bit of a plateau. Just the usual, but it's annoying to have to work through it with little result! Maybe I need a jolt to the system, to get the metabolism jump-started again!

So, does anybody have any suggestions? How have you gotten past your weight-loss plateau?
Posted Image

#50 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

I've lost quite a bit of weight since T-giving, but recently hit a bit of a plateau. Just the usual, but it's annoying to have to work through it with little result! Maybe I need a jolt to the system, to get the metabolism jump-started again!

So, does anybody have any suggestions? How have you gotten past your weight-loss plateau?

Hmmm, how about a rigorous routine of diving three or four times a day? :thankyou:
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#51 Coral

Coral

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:61

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

I got a good start.....I couldn't party last night because I had to work all day today, demonstrating exercise equipment during our big sale!

Well, it beats sitting around the house nursing a hangover.... :blush2:

#52 Coral

Coral

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:61

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hi Kamala:
Count me in on the 2010 Weight Loss Challenge. I'm ready to take action!
Jessica aka Coral

#53 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Kamala - any progress on recreating your lost plan?

The beauty of starting now is we're a bit into the new year and sounds like most have some basic changes in place. It might be a good time to fine tune some of the things we're doing.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#54 diverdeb

diverdeb

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

I agree Lynn. For me, I've already fallen off the wagon, so to speak, but have GOT to lose this weight!!! It's making me miserable.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#55 Debs

Debs

Getting started

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Studying Master
  • Logged Dives:80+

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

I'm in! I am not in too bad shape but could always use some improvement! In addition to wanting to be in good shape for diving - I've signed up for this "Warrior Dash" thing in Atlanta (May I think) and something called a "Mud Run" here in Nashville in the Fall. So, I need all the help I can get at this stage!! :wakawaka:
Cheers!

Debs

#56 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

I keep waiting for this Health and Fitness Challenge to start up. While I am active, in pretty good shape, my exercise routine, well lets just say it isn't a routine. I have never kept up anything too long. About the time I am starting to get things really rolling, life gets in the way. Then I have to start over.

An inch or two off the waist and preferably put that around my upper torso, also get and keep my cardio fitness level up. That is what I would like to see.

So let's get this challenge going!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#57 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hmmm. In lieu of an actual real program directed by a professional - maybe we should just get something going. I'll throw out the suggestion of each of us publishing one aspect of health that we want to improve on and our goals. We can report back to the group and work on it for a period of time and then start stealing each others' ideas. :thankyou:

Feedback?

#58 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

Or challenging each other.....

scubaclint & I are now trying to motivate each other by reporting our gym workouts via PM each day.....kind of like a long-distance workout buddy! We just started it.

We may all have different health & fitness goals. But health & fitness usually go hand-in-hand. We know the key to success for either one is a combination of diet (broadly meaning what you stuff in your piehole during the day) & exercise. We also know that no matter how busy we are, we can usually carve 30-60 minutes out of our schedule several times a week.

SO!
Here is the question of the day.....what small thing can you change TOMORROW, as your first step? One less soda or beer? Get up off the couch? Half your usual portions at dinner? Cut out your afternoon candy bar? Take a 30 minute brisk walk? Or, visit your gym where you've been a paying member for how long? Any first step will do.

And, what motivates you? What can your friends here at SD do to help keep you motivated, or to "enable" you?

Time to report for the CHALLENGE! Posted Image
Posted Image

#59 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

The thing that I've already changed this week is my exercise level. My new job involves working in the second sub-basement (three levels down from ground level), and though there's an elevator I am making a point of taking the stairs. I have been bringing my lunch to work, and keeping it low carb...though I did succumb to the call of a small handful of Reese's Pieces from the boss's office this afternoon. Posted Image

On the whole, I'm motoring right along.

Posted Image

#60 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:33 AM

Already a foot of snow here in Durham NC and expected to continue until late tonight and then down to 10 degrees. Just finished running 5 miles on Duke Forest wooded trails. Reminded me of running on sand dunes in Oregon. Now I know some of you have these kind of conditions where you live, but you still have to find a way to exercise if you are serious. When I lived in Fairbanks Alaska for a year, I ran in 50 below and snow roads. Still, amazing how I lost five pounds diving in Belize on the trip a few weeks ago, more than I lose from my running, which is basically 35 miles running equals 3500 calories or one pound. :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users