• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Discussion Only: Maldives Nov 6-13, 2010 only $1795 or $1595

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#91 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

I would also be interested in an extended trip like this, last time I spent 7 weeks out and about. Depends on the cost.
Bjs

The additional cost of this add-on is;
Silk Air - $400 rt Singapore>Manado>Singapore
Cocotinos - $690 ppdo - transfer - B,L,D - 3 boat dive/day [9 total dives] included, EAN +$20 for 4 tanks
Lembeh - $1,181 ppdo - transfer - B,L,D - 2 boat dive/day [11 total dives], EAN included
Haven't priced hotel Nov. 21 & Dec. 1 in Singapore
Wench said she'd work on getting a better deal than these published prices

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#92 Texan_in_China

Texan_in_China

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cert Level:Expert
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

Oh, this is a place I have been wanting to go and a great price! Are those dates firm - Nov 6 -13? If so, I probably can't make it. :birthday: I sure wish I had seen this earlier, before I lined out my schedule for the year. If there is any way this moves to later in November, say near Thanksgiving, I would have a better chance :birthday:

#93 BJ MathPro

BJ MathPro

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, Enriched Air
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

Oh, this is a place I have been wanting to go and a great price! Are those dates firm - Nov 6 -13? If so, I probably can't make it. :banghead: I sure wish I had seen this earlier, before I lined out my schedule for the year. If there is any way this moves to later in November, say near Thanksgiving, I would have a better chance :teeth:

Kamala is offering this trip for 2 consecutive weeks. (Scroll back a few pages):
It is also offered for the week of 11/13-11/20, if that helps.

#94 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

I would also be interested in an extended trip like this, last time I spent 7 weeks out and about. Depends on the cost.
Bjs

Cocotinos - $690 ppdo - transfer - B,L,D - 3 boat dive/day [9 total dives] included, EAN +$20 for 4 tanks
Lembeh - $1,181 ppdo - transfer - B,L,D - 2 boat dive/day [11 total dives], EAN included

Bill

If you have a short transit in Singapore, don't forget about the Transit Hotel in the airport. It is a great option when you arrive late, and need to fly out early, saving a lot of time and getting a lot better sleep. :banghead:

#95 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

Bjs

Bill

If you have a short transit in Singapore, don't forget about the Transit Hotel in the airport. It is a great option when you arrive late, and need to fly out early, saving a lot of time and getting a lot better sleep. :teeth:

Flight from Male arrives at 7am, and depart the next day at 9:25 am for Manado, probably spend the day sightseeing, and night at hotel. Return from Manado arrives at 5pm, and flight for LAX leaves the next morning at 9:25am, probably stay at the transit hotel. Sleep not a problem when I travel, that's what Ambien is for. :banghead:
Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#96 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

... transit in Singapore, don't forget about the Transit Hotel in the airport.

Hotel requests guests make reservations 4 months in advance.
Hotel website: http://athmg.com/reservation.htm

Standard Room
(2 Single Bed) SGD 65 w/tax 76.51 US$56 first 6 hours
(3 Single Bed) SGD 82 w/tax 96.51 US$71 first 6 hours
Single Occupancy
(Common Showers and Toilets) *35 41.20 US$26 6hrs

Note: Each additional hour is SGD15.30 w/tax US$11.25
A room with 2 single beds for 10 hours would cost about $101 per room
Guests may not leave the airport. The hotel is on the arrival side of passport control.

Edited by TexasDiver, 18 April 2010 - 08:01 AM.

#97 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

... transit in Singapore, don't forget about the Transit Hotel in the airport. It is a great option when you arrive late, and need to fly out early, saving a lot of time and getting a lot better sleep.

Standard Room
(2 Single Bed) SGD 65 w/tax 76.51 US$56
Triple Occupancy
(3 Single Bed) SGD 82 w/tax 96.51 US$71

Budget
Single Occupancy
(Common Showers and Toilets) *35 41.20 US$26

Note: Rate is for initial 6 hour block! Each additional hour is SGD15.30 w/tax US$11.25
A room with 2 single beds for 10 hours would cost about $101 per room (not per person) $213 for 20 hours.

Did I calculate the exchange rate from Singapore dollars correctly?

Sounds like a great place to leave luggage while taking day tour in the City. But, no. Guests may not leave the airport because the hotel is on the arrival side of passport control.

You got it right. Remember this is a transit hotel, usually for transit passengers. When I arrive from Manado at 5:25pm but don't leave until the next morning, I just book it from say 9 or 10pm until the time I want to leave to go to the gate. That means I don't have to pay for time I am not actually in the room, and since there are so many diversions in Changi airport, I dont' mind. Remember you will only have your carryon luggage with you. All the rest of your luggage will be with the airlines, still checked it.

Oh, and it is worth it to go for the deluxe room, to have your own bathroom, otherwise it is shared bath/shower. I would only take budget room in an emergency.
I already have my room booked for my upcoming trip to Indonesia in July, for my incoming transit.

Edited by secretsea18, 16 April 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#98 suntrooper

suntrooper

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

I would like to placed on the interested list. I can't make T&C but I am holding a flight which will allow me to do the first week of this trip. Is the first week set for sure so I can get the flight? I will be flying to London so when I leave, the flight schedule will require me to stay an extra 2 nights in Malives or London to get back to Seattle.

#99 Nesher

Nesher

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:92

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:10 AM

Put me down as Interested. Thanks

#100 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

I would be interested in this sort of extended trip! Craig

The longer, the better!

#101 LaurenFromSoCal

LaurenFromSoCal

Getting started

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Logged Dives:+150

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

I've been willing to go to the Maldives for years, with Kamala's help I might be able to do it this year :thankyou:
If I can't make the T&C trip, put my name down as interested for the 2-week trip to the Maldives. I'd love to join Bill for a longer trip but work won't allow me :thankyou:
Laurence

#102 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

saw on farecompare today that Emirates Air has a super special fare that includes time of SD Maldives trip. but requires action by April 30.

#103 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

... transit in Singapore, don't forget about the Transit Hotel in the airport. It is a great option when you arrive late, and need to fly out early, saving a lot of time and getting a lot better sleep.

Standard Room
(2 Single Bed) SGD 65 w/tax 76.51 US$56
Triple Occupancy
(3 Single Bed) SGD 82 w/tax 96.51 US$71

Budget
Single Occupancy
(Common Showers and Toilets) *35 41.20 US$26

Note: Rate is for initial 6 hour block! Each additional hour is SGD15.30 w/tax US$11.25
A room with 2 single beds for 10 hours would cost about $101 per room (not per person) $213 for 20 hours.

Did I calculate the exchange rate from Singapore dollars correctly?

Sounds like a great place to leave luggage while taking day tour in the City. But, no. Guests may not leave the airport because the hotel is on the arrival side of passport control.

You got it right. Remember this is a transit hotel, usually for transit passengers. When I arrive from Manado at 5:25pm but don't leave until the next morning, I just book it from say 9 or 10pm until the time I want to leave to go to the gate. That means I don't have to pay for time I am not actually in the room, and since there are so many diversions in Changi airport, I dont' mind. Remember you will only have your carryon luggage with you. All the rest of your luggage will be with the airlines, still checked it.

Oh, and it is worth it to go for the deluxe room, to have your own bathroom, otherwise it is shared bath/shower. I would only take budget room in an emergency.
I already have my room booked for my upcoming trip to Indonesia in July, for my incoming transit.

I have transited through Singapore airport several times over the past two years. Here has been my experience:

1. I remained checked in (me and bags) AND left Singapore airport. it is possible providing your layover is less than 24 hours and more than 6. I did this twice, with a 21 and 23 hour layover respectively, leaving my bags checked in with the airline - just taking a small overnight carry on. You clear immigration but as long as you show your onward boarding pass and a hotel booking/address, you won't have any problems. I stayed at the Fullerton and went shopping to Lucky Plaza to the wee dive shops - and Scotts Plaza for jewellery. If it is over 24 hours, it is considered a proper stop over and you have to reclaim your checked in luggage. But check the rules with your carrier - they can change.

2. Last August I just pitched up and just checked in to on of the transit hotels wihout a reservation, due to an unforseen delay. I took a 12 hour block it was about Sing$64 I think... Reservations are better of course, but it is possible to check in without them. I was able to get all my toiletries and meals in the terminal wihtout leaving the airport. As Robin recommends, go for the "delux" room, which is infact a nromal standard hotel room with private ensuite.

3. i believe it is possible to take a short city tour during a layover - there are booths in all terminals that will sort you out.

Generally the super efficient Singaporeans do as much as possible to help you make the most of your layover/stop over - and the economic benefits that that brings to the city :-) we were in the city within 35 mins of landing....

For Maldives, I go Emirates, although BA, Qatar and Sri Lankan airlines have good connections, as I am sure some of you have discovered. For layovers in Dubai, again you can leave the airport - I think the guideles are the same as Singaore. I was able to meet and show around Scubashaefer on his Dubai layover to the Maldives last year.

Edited by weescot, 30 April 2010 - 12:30 AM.

Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#104 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Please add me to the "interested" list.

#105 Sharkb8

Sharkb8

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:OW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

Hello Wreck Wench: I am Diver Ed's sister and have recently joined single divers. Gary will be joining shortly. We are all (3) planning to attend the Maldives trip. Gary and I would be very interested in a few day "land extension". Are you able to provide any assistance, suggestions, or information with that process. We are looking forward to many wonderful adventures with the group ! Thank you. Sharkb8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users