• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010-09: A Turks & Caicos Labor Day Weekend Sept 4-11, 2010 SIGN UP THREAD

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#316 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Consider Dive Assure if you do more than 1 trip a year. Its an annual policy, covers both DIVE and TRIP insurance in one policy! And its PRIMARY insurance which means it pays on the spot and you don't have to pay first and then get reimbursed in the case of medical emergencies. (Trust me I have seen care denied until a credit card was produced that had enough limit on it to pay for the services rendered and this person had dive insurance but it was a secondary insurance and not Primary.)

Link for ALL Dive Assure Products: HERE

Link for Diamond Plan (annual plan): [url="http://"%20%20%20<a%20href="http://www.diveassure.com/Ver1.1/registrations/DiamondsReg.asp?referrer=Singledivers""%20target="_blank">http://www.diveassur...rat...gledivers"</a>"]HERE[/url]

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#317 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

I have a question. Lets say we fly to T&C and get on the boat, then the storm moves in and we have to get off the boat, or for that matter we are on T&C and we never get on the boat. I can see how the boat part of the trip is covered. However, since the airline got us there and we assume will get us home at some point, does the insurance cover any of that? The airlines have fullfilled their obligation by getting us there and back so I would think that there would be no claim on that part of the trip.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#318 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

As long as you offered... :teeth:

Suede towel please. That should cure my case of towel envy.

Got xl in green, blue and brown! Just specify color and size in the payment gateway and post in the mircofiber towel thread you want one! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#319 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

"The airlines have fullfilled their obligation by getting us there and back so I would think that there would be no claim on that part of the trip."

I've filed a claim with CSA insurance that they paid to me. You are correct the airline flight was not covered, HOWEVER the additional flights that I paid for to be evacuated off of Roatan to San Pedro Sula and the additional flight from ATL to BOS to continu my vacation in FL was covered. My claim covered the lost days of land based dive package or 5 of 7 days covered after I declined the offer from tour op to come back next year and 5 days are prepaid. The premuim for insurance was about $120 for travel during Labor Day Week about 4 years ago, The Hurricanne was FELIX and I was very happy to get out of Roatan on a small puddle jumper.

BTW, this was not a SD.com trip.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#320 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

PAYMENT UPDATE:

1. Richard aka ScubaVazz ww received your payment for $121.30 for one extra night S/O! :thankyou:
Posted Image

#321 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

SPECIAL NEEDS...

First make sure the boat knows you have SPECIAL NEEDS so they can best prepare. Usually EV does a tremendous job in preparing for things like this IF they know in advance. And they can always reprovision mid-trip if needed but I would certainly make sure your form showed your addiction to diet drinks. Coffee will be a given and probably available 24/7.

I will also remind the boat that we have some HEAVY DIET DRINKERS....so that will help. Tammy will help me see if anyone is a vegan, vegetarian etc so we can be on top of that as well!

I looked at ALL of the EV docs and the SD Surveys again this afternoon just to make sure all the bases were covered, and here is the list of special requests. Note that ALL of these requests were put on the EV docs, so the boat should be aware of all the requests! Good job making your wishes known to the boat, everybody!!!

Kamala - mostly vegetarian
Jessica - vegetarian, some fish but NO shellfish
Tina - low cal/low fat meals & snack options, fresh fruit & vegetables, diet soda
Beth - diet coke, light beer
Christine - diet cola of any brand, as long as it's caffeinated
Janet - Dr. Pepper
Ray - Seltzer water

Posted Image

#322 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

"The airlines have fullfilled their obligation by getting us there and back so I would think that there would be no claim on that part of the trip."

I've filed a claim with CSA insurance that they paid to me. You are correct the airline flight was not covered, HOWEVER the additional flights that I paid for to be evacuated off of Roatan to San Pedro Sula and the additional flight from ATL to BOS to continu my vacation in FL was covered. My claim covered the lost days of land based dive package or 5 of 7 days covered after I declined the offer from tour op to come back next year and 5 days are prepaid. The premuim for insurance was about $120 for travel during Labor Day Week about 4 years ago, The Hurricanne was FELIX and I was very happy to get out of Roatan on a small puddle jumper.

BTW, this was not a SD.com trip.

Thanks for the info. That is sort of what I was thinking would happen. The last time I had to make a claim on trip insurance I did not use my flight at all and because the airlines would let me change the ticket for a fee, the insurance only paid for the change fee.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#323 warm water only diver

warm water only diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

SPECIAL NEEDS...

First make sure the boat knows you have SPECIAL NEEDS so they can best prepare. Usually EV does a tremendous job in preparing for things like this IF they know in advance. And they can always reprovision mid-trip if needed but I would certainly make sure your form showed your addiction to diet drinks. Coffee will be a given and probably available 24/7.

I will also remind the boat that we have some HEAVY DIET DRINKERS....so that will help. Tammy will help me see if anyone is a vegan, vegetarian etc so we can be on top of that as well!

I looked at ALL of the EV docs and the SD Surveys again this afternoon just to make sure all the bases were covered, and here is the list of special requests. Note that ALL of these requests were put on the EV docs, so the boat should be aware of all the requests! Good job making your wishes known to the boat, everybody!!!

Tina - low cal/low fat meals & snack options, fresh fruit & vegetables, diet soda
Janet - Dr. Pepper
Ray - Seltzer water

Hey Jessica, are you alergic to shellfish? Will you have an EPI pin with you? I am an EMT with all the training and field experiance to assist as needed.

I took and finished my Nitrox class this am but I am still looking to my SD buddies to help me through my maiden voyage. :fish2:
I picked up $25 worth of school supplies and got just about everything on the list. There are some truly great back to school sales right not. Hope I do not get stopped at customes. But if they charge 50% taxes and I spent $25, does that mean the taxes would be $14.50/ a small price to make some children day. Any chance us early birds could make a delivery?
Only problem, I will be taking public transit to the airport and I am worried about the weight I will have to lug through the system. Planning on doing a trial packing early next week. It is good to know I do not have to worry about the diet cola. I know it seems silly but for your coffee drinkers, how would you like to go a week without you morning Joe, that is what it is like for those of us who get our morning caffeine -cold with bubbles. :teeth:
I bought a new dive log today to start a new era of diving. I have been certified since 1974 but have not been able to dive since 2004 due to a dignosic of Breast Cancer in 2006. All is good/ I am considered cancer free but it put diving on a hold for several years. I have 210 dives in my old log so I do not anticipate any problems getting back into the water. I think in a previous life I was a dolphin or seal, I ofter dream I am swimming under water, sleek and fast, but I have to come to the surf to get air. What would Fraud make of that :thankyou:
Boy did this get winded. LOL
Can't wait to meet everyone.
Chrisitine Cooley- AKA- Warm Water Only Diver- WWOD

#324 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:59 PM

Christine, I like your WWOD.....kinda how my LLDN evolved! :thankyou:
Posted Image

#325 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:05 AM

Christina WOW!!! And I love the WWOD as well....less typing! :teeth:

That is an amazing story! Remind me to share some things with you on the trip after we settle out a day or so regarding nutrition and how to STAY cancer free! Just keep in mind it will be worth what you paid for it and I'm offering the information for free so there you go! (I'm a nutritionist in my day job!)

And great on the school supplies. All you have to say is you plan to do some arts and crafts projects on the boat.

Truthfully....they will not bother you with the supplies in your personal gear unless the entire suitcase was full of supplies.

INTERESTING NOTE: On a recent trip loaded with school supplies I was a bit too loaded. As I was opening up my bag to remove school supplies to jam into my carry on the agent asked what the supplies were for. I told her we were divers who took school supplies to all the countries we visited. She was moved and told me to close my suitcase I had removed enough. (Actually I had removed hardly anything and I was still a few pounds over but I did not argue.) And so my bag, extra school supplies and myself all went along our merry way! :thankyou:

formerly...

#326 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:19 AM

Janet - Dr. Pepper
Ray - Seltzer water

First Tammy thank you for summarizing this for us! :respect:

Second from previous trips with EV and liveaboards in general here are some guidelines with respect to managing expectations regarding your special requests that the boat always needs group leaders to share with the divers:

a. Keep in mind the special needs/requirements are primarily to advise the boat of people with food allergies, or those who do not eat meat, etc.
b. It also helps them know if they have a large number of drinkers or non-drinkers on the boat or say just a lot of red wine drinkers.
c. The Caribbean countries are generally 'coke' country so getting coke products will not be hard. However getting things like Dr. Pepper and possibly Seltzer water may be difficult. - AND WHILE THE BOAT WILL MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO OBTAIN THESE PRODUCTS...THEY MAY NOT BE SUCCESSFUL*. SO IF THEY ARE VITALLY IMPORTANT TO YOU, YOU MAY CONSIDER BRINGING THEM YOURSELF OR SEEING IF THE EARLY BIRD ARRIVALS WILL SEE IF THEY CAN FIND THEM FOR YOU.

*Also keep in mind the boat can ONLY shop one place and most of the order will be a standing order as they do the same menus weekly. Their time in port is very limited so if they want to get everything done they have to be very expeditious in every task that has to be crammed into the short window they have in port to turn the boat around from one group and prepare for the next group.

:thankyou: all for your understanding and please plan accordingly if you NEED special things that may not be readily available outside the US. If you need it...BRING IT! :teeth:

formerly...

#327 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

Here is a map that shows the projected path of Tropical Storm Earl as of this morning:

http://www.weather.c...earl_2010-08-23

The good news is, it's projected to skirt past T&C before we get there :respect: , but it will probably stir things up a bit in the water. Here's hoping it all settles back down by Sunday, when we start diving, so the vis is clear!

The other ugly mess off the coast of Africa looks like it dissipated quite a bit in the past 2 days. :thankyou:
Posted Image

#328 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

Christina WOW!!! And I love the WWOD as well....less typing! ;)

That is an amazing story! Remind me to share some things with you on the trip after we settle out a day or so regarding nutrition and how to STAY cancer free! Just keep in mind it will be worth what you paid for it and I'm offering the information for free so there you go! (I'm a nutritionist in my day job!)

And great on the school supplies. All you have to say is you plan to do some arts and crafts projects on the boat.

Truthfully....they will not bother you with the supplies in your personal gear unless the entire suitcase was full of supplies.

INTERESTING NOTE: On a recent trip loaded with school supplies I was a bit too loaded. As I was opening up my bag to remove school supplies to jam into my carry on the agent asked what the supplies were for. I told her we were divers who took school supplies to all the countries we visited. She was moved and told me to close my suitcase I had removed enough. (Actually I had removed hardly anything and I was still a few pounds over but I did not argue.) And so my bag, extra school supplies and myself all went along our merry way! :teeth:

I was at Big lots today and bought some more school stuff. I came home and packed them into my suitcase to see where I am. The school supplies fit fine :thankyou:

However I do not have any room for clothes :respect:

Ah heck! who needs clothes anyway :lmao:
Sea Turtle advocate!

#329 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

I was at Big lots today and bought some more school stuff. I came home and packed them into my suitcase to see where I am. The school supplies fit fine :thankyou:

However I do not have any room for clothes :respect:

Ah heck! who needs clothes anyway :lmao:

;) :lmao: :lmao: This looks like it's shaping up to be a very interesting trip! :teeth:
Posted Image

#330 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

So what is the scoop with the last night dinner out? The info states that transportation will be provided into town or what ever for the last nights dinner. We will have 18 people going into town for dinner. Do we have a planned event that can handle all of us? Or is this the sort of thing where they drop us off in town and we are on are own and go separate ways?

Just curious. When I did the Saba, St Kitts run with this dive op we all went to one place and then at the end of the meal they announced that we would be splitting the ticket between the group. I ended up paying $85 for a bowl of soup and a plate of pasta because some of the group had steak and lobster and several premium drinks from the bar.

I am ok with the group plan what ever it is, I just want to be prepared this time. Besides, if we are going to split the bill, I ain't eating soup and pasta and drinking ice tea! :thankyou:
Sea Turtle advocate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users