• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY....2013-02: Maldives Feb 20-Mar 2, 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
239 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

WELL GANG!!! It seems our reputation PROCEEDS US (or I negotiate better than I thought) LOL! ;) Either way...they will lock in the exchange rate for us IF we book before the end of the year.

So at our current rate would people be interested in Maldives at $2600 euros retail? I plan to have some smoking sign up deals since we are so far in advance.

Now the trick is WHEN if we opt to do the Maldives!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 Elena

Elena

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

So at our current rate would people be interested in Maldives at $2600 euros retail?

I dreamed about going back to Maldives since I happen to be OW certified there many years ago… Yes, I want to go.

Explorer is my favorite liveaboard operator, but I can not resist the blue sails… and yachts in general… Does the Siren boat look like the one attached? If so, then it must be Siren.

Last time, visibility at Maldives has dropped dramatically at the end of April, i.e. at the end of the good NE monsoon. It blows November to April – it's the time to go, I think. November would be the best time for me.

I am currency-diversified Posted Image, so can pay in Euros too. However, I hope we would only pay some deposit now with the balance closer to the trip, right?

Overall, please put me on the interested list…

Thanks for doing this

Elena

Attached Files

Edited by Elena, 17 December 2010 - 05:55 AM.

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

Yep! That is the boat!!!

I too LOVE EV...they are my liveaboard company of choice but I am open to this new boat and I'm already booking a Philippines charter for a non-SD group for July 2012 which is why I've been looking at them for our trip.

And I hope to get a few booking perks by booking two trips with them that I can pass onto our members!

As for small deposit now...YEP! We'll have a reasonable price to hold your spot and of course a SMOKING deal if you want to lock in the full enchilada now as well!!!

PLUS its only 14 people on the Siren...not sure how many on EV. Waiting for more info from EV as we speak.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#19 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:05 PM

Interested list please!! I can save for retirement later!!! :P
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

You guys are too funny! :teeth:

formerly...

#21 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

The Siren is a very comfortable dive boat. I was on it over 2 1/2 years ago on a trip to Andaman Islands. I had a great time, and the boat... wonderful. I recently was on Mandarin Siren in Indonesia, and have visited the Philippine Siren while in the Philippines a year ago (that boat is even better than the Siren).

The owners have added at least one boat a year since I have known Frank and Mark. :P (Beer buddies!)

They run a very good operation, and offer some stuff other operators don't.
Such as:
  • Free Nitrox
  • Free gear (nice very well serviced and essentially new good brand ---regulars, BC, etc) that other boats either charge for or have crappy backups
  • Free Beer and soft drinks
  • Really, really good food. (The food on Mandarin Siren was truly gourmet, and if you are lucky to have Iwan's chocolate molton cake --- you'll feel like you died and went to heaven!)
  • Flexible diving times --- one of the most important features on my two WWDS trips
  • The boats are REAL sailboats and the sails sometimes get deployed and raised!!! REally cool to see them do this!
Just thought I would give some additional info regarding the Siren boats. It is a good company.

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Thank you Robin! Its always great to have 3rd party validation! :wakawaka:

formerly...

#23 KellyDiver

KellyDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cert Level:aow and nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

Count me in with either choice. However, the Siren does look amazing with those blue sails.

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

Lock in dollars or keep the contract in Euros???

If the price is $2600 euros that is about $3380 for an 11 day trip + airfare.

THAT is the 20 million dollar question?

Anyone have an answer????

formerly...

#25 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

Some of the market forecasts indicate the dollar will get stronger vs euros in 2011 so depending on when the price is locked in it could be cheaper in dollars. Of course that's just a quick read of some of the forecasts off of a google search... :bam:

Most on here are also used to dealing in dollars too :D

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

The best itinerary for Maldives fills VERY quickly and most are already booked for 2012 and have been gone for 2011 for months. That being the case if we wait we risk having to accept a lesser option.

Experts do see the dollar doing better than the euro in 2011 but then weakening against the euro in 2012 when the lion share of the payments will be due.

If we lock in now we can be assured of good dates and itineraries AND take advantage of some REALLY early booking discounts that we can pass onto those VERY excited about doing this trip.

Just looking at all options...and of course I appreciate ALL the input I've gotten via pm's and this thread. :thankyou:

formerly...

#27 libra89

libra89

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

So many trips, not enough time (and definitely wishing to be infinitely wealthy!!!)!! How did you know Maldives is something I want to do? I've been hoping my work would send me to India so I could take a little side trip to Maldives and dive. So far no dice :) I'm interested in keeping my eyes on this trip, but if I do the other two I want in 2011, funding yet another big trip essentially in the same personal fiscal year might be a challenge! But....toss me on the interested list and I'll pray I get a windfall :)

Thanks,
Tina

#28 scubachick43

scubachick43

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:101

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hey gang...I am SERIOUSLY looking at Maldives again for 2012. I am looking at either Explorer Ventures or Siren. Both have great itineraries, good pricing and great crew.

Here are some options...any input from our members?

<snip>

You are going to bankrupt me aren't you?

Ditto what Fred said :twist:
I think this will possibly be the year that I take a BIG trip.

Edited by scubachick43, 04 January 2011 - 06:57 PM.

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

I have all but inked the deal for SIREN which will be only 16 people aboard this luxurious liveaboard.

Now the hard part...WHEN and WHICH Itinerary??

Please give us your input if you have any on time of year and of course which itinerary offering.

Maldives via Liveaboard: S/Y Maldives Siren

The Maldive Islands, officially Republic of Maldives, is an island nation in the Indian Ocean formed by a double chain of twenty-six atolls stretching in a north-south direction off India's Lakshadweep islands. It stands in the Laccadive Sea, about seven hundred kilometers (435 mi) south-west of Sri Lanka. The Maldives is the smallest Asian country in both population and area. With an average ground level of 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in) above sea level, it is the lowest country on the planet and it is also the country with the lowest highest point in the world, at just 2.3 metres (7 ft 7 in). The warm seas of Maldives have high visibility throughout the year, with water clear enough to see the passing fish as far as fifty metres away at times. Add to that the marvelous formation of over 3000 coral reefs and the free flowing tides of the monsoons. The result of these perfect conditions is the creation of one of the world’s richest diving coral reef areas.

Over a thousand species of fish and other underwater creatures inhabit the Maldivian waters. The monsoon tides of the Indian Ocean create a collection of small marine creatures as well as microscopic plant cells. This in turn creates a hub for all kinds of underwater species who gather in these waters lured by the abundance of food. In the Maldives you will get to see everything. From tiny shrimp and groups of colorful swimmers to the magnificent mantas and sharks, a careful eye will give you enough to enrapture you for a lifetime. Worldwide Dive and Sail offers year round diving in the Maldives on board the SY Maldives Siren.

We have four itineraries that take you to the best dive sites on offer at the optimum time dependant on weather and in accordance with the monsoon seasons. We have trips that take you to the far north and other trips that take you to the far south which is only now opening up to liveaboard safaris.

Central Route
April to December - 10 day 10 night

Our Central intinerary brings you Rasdhoo, Ari, Nilhande, Thaa and Laamu atolls. We dive a variety of kandus and thilas for sightings of scalloped hammerheads, grey reef sharks and white tips. Manta and eagle rays are likely around the Nilhande atoll and whalesharks may also be seen here. Schools of fish are the norm with daily sightings of Napoleon wrasse, groupers, snappers, trevally and barracuda. As we cross to Laamu atoll you have the opportunity to see pods of bottlenose dolphin and the occasional Blue whale!

Central and Southern Route
January to April 10 day 10 night

Our central/southern itinerary takes you from Male to the atolls of Felidhe, Mulaku, Thaa and Huvadhoo. There are numerous deep channels or Kandus to dive all offering divers the opportunity to observe large pelagics such as hammerhead, white tip and grey reef sharks. Along with schools of giant trevally, jacks and tuna, whilst eagle rays are commonly sighted. We visit a variety of walls and coral gardens and there are also plenty of opportunities for macro critter hunting.

Northern Route

August and September - 10 day 10 night

A far shorter season the Northern Itinerary brings divers to Rasdhoo, Baa, Lahviyani, Noonu and Shaviyani atolls. However it is the area of Hanifaru Huraa that is worthy of special attention. This small island in the Baa Atoll has an annual plankton bloom that attracts manta rays in their hundreds and whalesharks also come here to feed on the bounty. Also note worthy are the reefs of Komandhoo that have recently been opened to tourism and are only accessible by liveaboard.

Southern Route
January to March - 10 day 10 night

The Southern Itinerary spends 10 days exploring the Huvadhoo atoll in depth. These unspoiled reefs teem with fish life and large pelagics can be seen in the channels as the current passes through. Eagle rays are frequent visitors to many of our sites. However you will also dive some of the shallower lagoons full of a wonderful array of colorful reef fish and some unusual creatures.

• Central and Southern Combo Itinerary alternates the start and finish between Male and Kaadedhdhoo
  • Our Northern Itinerary alternates the start and finish between Male and Hanimaadhoo.
  • Our Central Itinerary alternates the start and finish between Male and Kadhdoo.
  • And the Southern Itinerary starts from and returns to Kaadedhdhoo

formerly...

#30 Elena

Elena

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

Please give us your input if you have any on time of year and of course which itinerary offering.

Kamala,

Thanks for researching!

It seams to me that the 'Central and Southern route' offers the largest variety of atolls and in the good visibility time frame. This is the longest 'sailing' route – we could even hope to get sails in the wind!

This itinerary does involve a one-way domestic flight (is this correct?), but the flight on a seaplane over the Maldives is one of the most unforgettable experiences one can get on this planet… It also should be cheaper than the two-way flight for the Southern itinerary.

I see on the Siren website that the prices go up in May 2012. But the cruise on March 05-15 2012 is discounted 15% from the lower price. Can you make any use of such a special deal? Also on this particular trip, the domestic flight is BEFORE diving.

Other thoughts?

Elena Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users