• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY 2014-02: FIRM DATES Truk Lagoon...Redeux! Feb 9-16, 2014

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#166 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

I dove for more than 30 years, figuring that I would never go to Truk. I believed that the wrecks were too deep, and it would not be worth the trip because of the limited amount of bottom time that I would get. I actually signed up for the trip because of the Palau portion, and included Truk thinking that I would only be able to do 3 short dives per day. The trip started with the shallower wrecks, several of which came to within a short distance of the surface. For the first couple of days, the diving profiles seemed similar to Caribbean diving where you had an option of doing wall dives each dive. Even if you went past 100 foot, there was plenty of wreck to dive in shallow waters, so you had good bottom times. As the week progressed, the max depth did get deeper, and the top of some of the wrecks were deeper as well. Even with that, I did manage to do 4 dives a day, and if my computer started to go into deco mode, it was close to clear by the time i got to 15 feet for a safety stop. I was very surprised with the amount of bottom time that I was getting. I do not have my logs to look at, but I seem to recall that there was only one or two dives where I felt that it was a short dive. Unlike my previous trip, this time I am going with Truk being the reason, and the second portion of the trip is secondary.

It's great to hear from you guys that even if I can't do the decompression dives I would still be able to experience the wrecks. I was pretty worried that without the extra training I would hit the bottom at a wreck and only have 10 min to visit. I know I won't get a lot of time at all the wrecks but I would hope I would be able to get good bottom time on 80% of them.

[/quote]

#167 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Good post ED!!

Scuba Turtle, I can appreciate your apprehension at the thought of a trip like this. You can't imagine how wound up I was :o/> . One of the ladies on the previous trip did her 50th dive in Truk. From what I gathered talking to her and watching her dive she had a great time. The Odyssey captain, the divemasters and guides plus all the SD peeps and last but certainly not least Kamala :blond:/> will be able to sort through most any issues you may have. The dives are as structured or lax as you want to safely do them. One recommendation is KNOW HOW YOUR COMPUTER works. Know how to set it and know what it is trying to tell you. I did 22 dives on 13 different wrecks. Go back through the trip reports from the last trip to get an Idea what others thought of the experience. And for heaven’s sake if you have a question, please ask. There is no such thing as a dumb question. This is where I put in the part about no amount of Tech training is a waste if you have a good instructor. Advanced Nitrox is a great course.

As for the paying for it part, Ramen noodles and Velveeta cheese and shells is my plan. :cool2:/> yammv

Edited by Jerrymxz, 01 March 2013 - 08:37 PM.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#168 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Good post ED!!

Scuba Turtle, I can appreciate your apprehension at the thought of a trip like this. You can't imagine how wound up I was Posted Image/> . One of the ladies on the previous trip did her 50th dive in Truk. From what I gathered talking to her and watching her dive she had a great time. The Odyssey captain, the divemasters and guides plus all the SD peeps and last but certainly not least Kamala Posted Image/> will be able to sort through most any issues you may have. The dives are as structured or lax as you want to safely do them. One recommendation is KNOW HOW YOUR COMPUTER works. Know how to set it and know what it is trying to tell you. I did 22 dives on 13 different wrecks. Go back through the trip reports from the last trip to get an Idea what others thought of the experience. And for heaven's sake if you have a question, please ask. There is no such thing as a dumb question. This is where I put in the part about no amount of Tech training is a waste if you have a good instructor. Advanced Nitrox is a great course.

As for the paying for it part, Ramen noodles and Velveeta cheese and shells is my plan. Posted Image/> yammv

Thanks Ed and Jerry! VERY good advice. I think your right that if I ended up selecting this trip I'd look at Advanced Nitrox to further my knowledge. It sounds like from what I read (I've read through this whole forum post as well as previous ones from the last trip) that the dive crew is great and helpful to the extent possible. It's great to hear. Really I think I would be comfortable going after hearing what you guys have all said. Seems like even without the Tech certs I would still be able to get some great dives in on the trip.

#169 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

"...I would still be able to get some great dives in on the trip"

That I can assure you ..:-D

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   

#170 DivingNole

DivingNole

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:136

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Thanks to the great discussion here and some extra info from Jerry, add me to the notify list :dance: (my virtual happy dance). Looks like I may pass on the Labor Day trip and save my $$$ for this one. Will also do the add-on trip. If I'm going all that way, I might as well make the most of it!

#171 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

You've been added!

#172 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hey Marla...we'll get you on the notify list for this trip. If you can't make it and/or miss the booking window we'll be doing this trip again as soon as I can book another date. This will be our 5th and final year doing Turks and Caicos.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#173 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Jerry:

I got your message about posting some of my favorite dives. I have been OOT for a bit but I will get to it in the next week or so and add my two cents worth.

In short I agree with all of what is said. If you have a bit of experience all will be well. The crew undoubtedly was watching us closely and evaluating ur skill and would never let us get in too deep. (pun intended)

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#174 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

That's great Fred, I'm enjoying going over my log, researching new wrecks and watching my videos of Truk. Especially the one staring...us :-)

#175 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

There was a question raised back several pages about the availability of helium. I was surfing over on TDS forum and it appears that Odyssey now has trimix banked on board. I'll contact them about all the tech questions I have for this upcoming trip. According to the poster he was only charged for gas he used not the entire fill. That checks with what I was charged for oxygen on the last trip. But I want to get the info straight from the horses mouth.

#176 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Interested in this trip if Fiji doesn't come to fruition or work out.

:thankyou:/> !!!

#177 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Jerry...as I recall they usually only chg for the gas you use...not the fill. That was how they handled 02. Thank you for checking just to be sure!

Tim...Fiji may slip to early 2015 so we stay in the fall/winter months and we can allow for 2 back to back trips...either 2 spots in Fiji or another venue in addition to Fiji.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#178 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Tim...Fiji may slip to early 2015 so we stay in the fall/winter months and we can allow for 2 back to back trips...either 2 spots in Fiji or another venue in addition to Fiji.

No worries, WW!!! Just figuring out what to do a year from now, as I have a hole in my diving itinerary. 2014 could be epic with Truk & Galapagos!!! I'm thinking the Feb 16-23 dates as a stand alone trip. Don't see myself getting away for more than a week until my kids are out of the house unless I want to return to a smoldering scrap heap!!! Even with supervision!!! :lmao:/>

:cool1:/>

#179 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

2014 is epic with both Truk and Galapagos!!! And the beauty of our trips is you can do one or both of our "offerings" when we go half way around the world to dive! ;)

p.s. No smouldering scrap heaps allowed! ;)

formerly...

#180 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts