• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY: 2014-02: Palau Feb 17-24, 2014 either with Truk or by itself!

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#76 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

I was wondering how many dives I'd be able to get in this week while I'm there. Guessing that they will do maybe two in the morning and then maybe two in the afternoon if people want?
As you said then maybe a night dive?

-Mike

Generally you'll do 4 a day - like Jerry said the boat rides can be long. You'll do 2 dives in the morning then lunch on an island nearby and then 2 more before heading back. Some of the best diving I've ever done was there - the reef hook dive to watch the sharks swim by was amazing and then the very fast drift up the channel was really fun (you do the dive during a tide change when the sharks are feeding if I recall correctly).

Butch

Thanks Butch! 4 dives a day is good for me, especially if we've just come from doing 4-5 a day in Truk. If we can get at least one or two night dives that week it would be great.

Anyone know I if should look at getting a reef hook if I don't have one or will the dive shop supply those?

#77 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,675 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hey gang...we'll SET UP DIVES IN ADVANCE and plan them accordingly. The problem happens when we have a fluid schedule... as a result it slips and then things don't happen.

I for one want to do at least 2 night dives and for sure one. The zero was very very very cool and I want to dive it again with a good camera.

I also want to do the marina manderian fish dive as well... and I'm up for afternoon dives.

If my internet stays steady I will be able to open this trip this weekend and we'll start serious planning for the extra dives. :thankyou:

p.s Regarding the sharks...the only way you WON'T see sharks is if you close your eyes. ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#78 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

I like the sound of that!! If you all haven’t figured it out I like a good plan going into any endeavor. :cool2:

In the interest of historical accuracy the night dive was on a Jake sea plane. That dive is one of my all time favorite and most memorable dives. :diver:

There was also some bio-luminescent plankton that would light up when you shake your hands in the water with all the lights off.

If you have a reef hook take it along, but if not, you can buy one in the dive shop with their logo on it. That saves a couple ounces and you don’t have to carry it half way around the world.

On most of the ocean side dives there were lots and lots of sharks. :fish: Grey reef sharks are the prominent species with a good number of white tip reef sharks also in attendance. On several dives we also spotted a couple black tips as well. At Blue Corner the parade of sharks is unbelievable in the STRONG current. They effortlessly swim into the current that is impossible for you to swim against. :fish2: You have to experience it for yourself.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#79 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Kamala and Jerry,
Sounds absolutely fantastic!! Posted Image
Thanks for the tip on the reef hook. I'll save the weight and buy one while I'm there. Hopefully it won't be too expensive coming from the small island.

I'm not too worried about dive planning just yet but I'm with you in planning ahead of time and then adjusting it if needed. I'm sure Kamala knows I'm all about planning ahead. I know we've got time to plan dives for this trip.

#80 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

A lot of people ( probably most or all ) purchased a reef hook from the dive shop. I seem to recall them charging about $20.00. The hook and line fit in a pouch and there is a clip attached to the pouch to clip onto your BC. It was very easy to open up, use, and put back in the pouch. We dove the Blue Corner twice, and that is the only time that I have ever used the reef hook. I am very much looking forward to using it again.

I was wondering how many dives I'd be able to get in this week while I'm there. Guessing that they will do maybe two in the morning and then maybe two in the afternoon if people want?
As you said then maybe a night dive?

-Mike

Generally you'll do 4 a day - like Jerry said the boat rides can be long. You'll do 2 dives in the morning then lunch on an island nearby and then 2 more before heading back. Some of the best diving I've ever done was there - the reef hook dive to watch the sharks swim by was amazing and then the very fast drift up the channel was really fun (you do the dive during a tide change when the sharks are feeding if I recall correctly).

Butch

Thanks Butch! 4 dives a day is good for me, especially if we've just come from doing 4-5 a day in Truk. If we can get at least one or two night dives that week it would be great.

Anyone know I if should look at getting a reef hook if I don't have one or will the dive shop supply those?

#81 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

I like the sound of that!! If you all haven’t figured it out I like a good plan going into any endeavor. :cool2:/>/>

In the interest of historical accuracy the night dive was on a Jake sea plane. That dive is one of my all time favorite and most memorable dives. :diver:/>/>

There was also some bio-luminescent plankton that would light up when you shake your hands in the water with all the lights off.

If you have a reef hook take it along, but if not, you can buy one in the dive shop with their logo on it. That saves a couple ounces and you don’t have to carry it half way around the world.

On most of the ocean side dives there were lots and lots of sharks. :fish:/>/> Grey reef sharks are the prominent species with a good number of white tip reef sharks also in attendance. On several dives we also spotted a couple black tips as well. At Blue Corner the parade of sharks is unbelievable in the STRONG current. They effortlessly swim into the current that is impossible for you to swim against. :fish2:/>/> You have to experience it for yourself.

Plan schman!!! Lets dive!!!!! Somehow I missed most of the night dives both on Odyssey and on Palau. For some reason not into them on that trip. :unsure:/> :shrug:

I like what Kamala said. The only way not to see a shark (up close and personal) is to keep your eyes closed!! Or stay in the room. Very cool to watch them patrol around the wall. A few too many people and some who disrespect the reef, but whatcha gonna do?

About the reef hook. You can buy one there but it is triple the price. (OK only $20 on a $10,000 trip I guess is :o not that bad.) We have plenty of time so pick one up cheap. Or make one from a length of webbing and a brass hook from the hardware store.

I loved all of the dives but, Chandelier Cave and Jellyfish Lake were very special. I made the hike to Jellyfish in flops and that was a bad idea. Booties with a good solid sole or more of a Teva or sandal would have been a better choice. Hot, wet, slick rocks. Not particularly rigorous hike but in context of the dive day it does get your attention. But it is not to be missed. I had this total Zen moment that I cannot even explain. Reminds me of that scene from Avatar with all of the Jellyfish looking things. Save to say I added Jellyfish Lake to one of my top 5 places on the planet.

The Chambered Nautilus dive is cool but I am not sure it is worth the extra cost. I will obviously bow to the will of the tribe but my vote would be to skip it.

I can't wait!!!!!

Edited by ev780, 09 August 2013 - 09:36 AM.

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#82 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,675 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

The carrying case was VERY nice and I've used my reef hook in Maldives and Florida...(needed it on the last trip to FL but forgot it) so its a must have. The pouch is nice and makes a great reminder vs a t-shirt that wears out. You can make your own but as I said...this one was really nice so why worry about it.

Sorry about the skip on the "Jake plane" vs "zero"... been pretty crazy lately so hardly remember my name. Thanks for going gentle on me! LOL!

And yes we'll plan who wants to do the extra dives in Palau early...this will help us plan better.

Yes the nautilus dive was a bit pricey but WOW WOW WOW!!! Even my pics were ok so I can only imagine how they will be now that I have a decent camera. I know we have to have a certain number of people and we did not know about it in advance so THIS time we'll try to plan for it as well.

I'll see if I can find some pics..

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#83 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

A lot of people ( probably most or all ) purchased a reef hook from the dive shop. I seem to recall them charging about $20.00. The hook and line fit in a pouch and there is a clip attached to the pouch to clip onto your BC. It was very easy to open up, use, and put back in the pouch. We dove the Blue Corner twice, and that is the only time that I have ever used the reef hook. I am very much looking forward to using it again.

Thanks Ed! I'll plan on buying it down there.

The carrying case was VERY nice and I've used my reef hook in Maldives and Florida...(needed it on the last trip to FL but forgot it) so its a must have. The pouch is nice and makes a great reminder vs a t-shirt that wears out. You can make your own but as I said...this one was really nice so why worry about it.

Thanks Kamala for the explanation. $20 isn't too bad a price all things considered and if it comes with a nice case that has a logo that's a great plus. I agree that it's probably worth it. One less thing I'll have to bring along. I'll plan on buying it down there.

#84 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,675 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Here is shot by Jerry... still looking for mine. The perfect picture is one where you aren't holding it and its free swimming in air... SUHWEET!!!

p.s. I promise to get shots of anyone who does this dive with the Nautilus! :teeth:

Posted Image

formerly...

#85 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Come on Fred, you can’t beat a good plan! :teeth:

As I remember on the nautilus dive, if you didn’t want to do it you could just follow the divemaster away from the cage and do the wall dive just yards from the spot they hold the nautilus. After we were done playing with them (very cool) :wakawaka: we finished up our dive on the wall as well. I’m not sure I’ll do it again on this trip but well worth it to fill the square the first time

The reef hook they sell has the small pouch and a nice brass snap sewn onto the outside. So when you deploy it you clip it to a solid point on your BC then unzip the pouch to unfurl the strap that’s attached to the snap at one end and the large hook on the other. Once you clip it on you can’t lose any of it. A very well thought out gizmo. As a bonus it has the Fish’n Fins logo embroidered on the outside.

WW I’ll always be gentle on you over a minor detail like that!! :respect:

Thanks for the photo credit :D

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   

#86 Lephenix

Lephenix

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Tec 50 & NACD cavern
  • Logged Dives:211

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

So we need gloves ? Oh yes, good pic ! (is that a rental back-up computer ?)

Lephenix

#87 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,675 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

No gloves needed...he just happened to wear them...I preferred without. Again it is SUPERIOR to have a shot NOT holding them...after all it could appear we were 'harrassing' them so why give anyone the evidence??

And yes that is a picture of the Cochran that can be used for DAN research and/or as a back up or primary if you do not have a computer. Kamala

formerly...

#88 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Interesting facts about the Nautilus:

http://sea.sheddaqua...heets.asp?id=94

I read somewhere else that many of them die when they are returned to the depths at which they were caught - don't know how FnF handles their "cage" but maybe it doesn't apply here. The info also says they can only live in water warmer than 77 degrees for a short time, they need the cooler temps of the water found at depth.

Sorry to be a buzzkill...
Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#89 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Fish'n Fin after the dives are done with the nautilus one of the divemasters take them down to 150fsw to release them. So the reef fish do not eat their tentacles and kill them. The nautilus cannot retract fully into their shell. We ask that question of Tova when talking about the survival of Nautilus on the last trip.

#90 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thanks, Jerry!

Fish'n Fin after the dives are done with the nautilus one of the divemasters take them down to 150fsw to release them. So the reef fish do not eat their tentacles and kill them. The nautilus cannot retract fully into their shell. We ask that question of Tova when talking about the survival of Nautilus on the last trip.

Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users