• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Obscure agencies

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:33 PM

He doesn't give up......

:teeth:! Just think of how many sd.com'ers you could lure down if the two of you teamed up....
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#32 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:14 PM

Indeed the L.A. County program is still in existance.  In fact I was going to sign up for the course (based on Walter's recommendation) until my life took an unexpected turn this past summer.

http://www.lascuba.com/

Jextract,

If you ever have the opportunity to sign up in the future grab it, it will be the best course you ever took.  Were you considering the Advanded Training or Instructor Training?  Maybe next year!!! 

Indeed the L.A. County program is still in existance. In fact I was going to sign up for the course (based on Walter's recommendation) until my life took an unexpected turn this past summer.

http://www.lascuba.com/

Jextract,

If you ever have the opportunity to sign up in the future grab it, it will be the best course you ever took. Were you considering the Advanded Training or Instructor Training? Maybe next year!!!

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#33 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:06 PM

So the question arises- why has no one else (or no other agency) ever implemented such a course?
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#34 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:15 PM

Economics. If it weren't taught by volunteer instructors through a governmental agency, it would be prohibitively expensive.

The Y's Silver Advanced class is an excellent alternative if you don't live in LA County.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#35 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:22 PM

Well, we know where that leads me, do we not?
Marvel

Posted Image

#36 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 19 November 2004 - 01:46 AM

:lol:! Just think of how many sd.com'ers you could lure down if the two of you teamed up....

Oh! You want to lure SDers??? I guess I should tell everyone that Dutch Springs is CLOTHING OPTIONAL after hours! :wakawaka:

Of course, the temperature this weekend will drop to 40 degrees.

Bad for the guys... great for the girls. Or, would that be the other way around? Well, we guys would appreciate the view anyway. :cool2:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#37 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:16 AM

Ah, but if you were to go to work for Peter In Belize....

"Saltwater temperature varies between 75 degrees Fahrenheit and 84 degrees Fahrenheit."

As opposed to this:

Posted Image
Marvel

Posted Image

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 November 2004 - 11:06 AM

:cool2:! Just think of how many sd.com'ers you could lure down if the two of you teamed up....

Oh! You want to lure SDers???

Yep....and new unsuspecting victims...er...members...yeah that's it...new MEMBERS to SD!! Ya know what they say...'the more the merrier'!!! -ww :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#39 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:56 PM

Economics. If it weren't taught by volunteer instructors through a governmental agency, it would be prohibitively expensive.

yup.

interesting.

a state which is always complaining about not having enough money for social programs for the disadvantaged (because they are always going bankrupt) is willing to spend the money to certify people in a sport that is in and of itself gear intensive.

ok, yes, providing the certification is a social service which could be said to provide an opportunity for those who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford certification.

by whats the point in certification if you won't be able to afford to continue the hobby??

or do they plan on providing more funds so the disadvantaged can continue to dive, while other basic needs are ignored???
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#40 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:47 PM

Economics.  If it weren't taught by volunteer instructors through a governmental agency, it would be prohibitively expensive.

yup.

interesting.

a state which is always complaining about not having enough money for social programs for the disadvantaged (because they are always going bankrupt) is willing to spend the money to certify people in a sport that is in and of itself gear intensive.

ok, yes, providing the certification is a social service which could be said to provide an opportunity for those who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford certification.

by whats the point in certification if you won't be able to afford to continue the hobby??

or do they plan on providing more funds so the disadvantaged can continue to dive, while other basic needs are ignored???

Brad,

Perhaps you misunderstood. The course was by no means FREE. There was a fee, I don't recall the exact figure, after all it was 9 years ago, but it was about $250-300 I think. The fee covered general expenses for the course. Since it was part of the parks program their goal was not to make a profit, it was to train.

This was no social welfare program, it was a course designed for people who were serious about learning to dive, and not looking for a quick fix. The provided unbiased opinions, and you got lots of them, giving students an opportunity to weigh their options.

LA County also offered an instructors training program at a fairly hefty price as I recall, never looked into it because I would not have qualified for the class even if I had wanted to take the course, was not diving at the required level to take the course. Then again being an instructor is something I never had any interest in doing anyway.
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#41 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:54 PM

Economics.  If it weren't taught by volunteer instructors through a governmental agency, it would be prohibitively expensive.

The course was by no means FREE. There was a fee, I don't recall the exact figure, after all it was 9 years ago, but it was about $250-300 I think. The fee covered general expenses for the course. Since it was part of the parks program their goal was not to make a profit, it was to train.

This was no social welfare program, it was a course designed for people who were serious about learning to dive

if it has LA County attached to it, it's being provided by a governmental agency. that department is providing something. and that something must be funded, even if the only thing the county is providing is administrative.
the program certifies a person to dive, so they have to keep records. there is administrative overhead of some sort. the instructors may be volunteers, but that doesn't mean the program isn't drawing governmental funding in some way.
and since the funding of a scuba instruction program is not a necessary function of any community, that means the funding is discretionary.
being a government run program, it would not be run for profit. they are providing a service through parks and rec.

as much as you might not like the term, because you have connected it to something negative, these kinds of programs are called....

social welfare.

but since you bring it up, why wouldn't a person from a disadvantaged background be seriously interested in scuba??? is it only of serious interest to those of priviledged backgrounds???
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#42 scuba1231

scuba1231

On a roll now.....

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

I take it you are not a fan of any social assistance of any kind. I am new to this board and already I dislike it. Instead of encouraging newer divers, I see nothing more than egos and posturing (my training was better than your training, etc) I was hoping to find something beneficial from this site such as finding a buddy in my area (I live in Colorado) but I think I will avoid this site in the future.

#43 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

I take it you are not a fan of any social assistance of any kind. I am new to this board and already I dislike it. Instead of encouraging newer divers, I see nothing more than egos and posturing (my training was better than your training, etc) I was hoping to find something beneficial from this site such as finding a buddy in my area (I live in Colorado) but I think I will avoid this site in the future.

I think you'll find what you want under other threads. In any case, I think you're misinterpreting the statements being made - I don't think anyone's bragging, just trying to be objective about different methods of training.

#44 scuba1231

scuba1231

On a roll now.....

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

nothing objective about many of the above statements I have read and from looking at other parts of the board I am not that impressed

#45 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:08 PM

Hey, Scuba1231, I'm a new diver, and I've been made to feel very welcome here. If you don't agree with the view points expressed, why not post your own thoughts? We are always open to improvement and suggestions offered in a positive, constructive way. Please post an intro so that we can get to know you better and welcome to the board.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users