• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Rebreathers

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#16 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:38 PM

Rebreathers. Mega long.

I will say that Inspriations are inherently dangerous. Design flaws a many. A fatality rate approaching one percent. Cannot turn them off and fly the unit. Read the warnings in the manual and look at the CE standard that they like to say they have earned. Well CE allows for not hitting the mark if you simply state in the manual not to do the thing where the non compliance would show. So, CE mark is not a true CE mark. Also, state they were tested by the US Navy. They say this, yet fail to mention that they failed so badly that they are banned from any navy personnel every diving one again. Performance data is so bad they will not release it. Of course, since it was federal money the report is available, but they are only releasing it to sources with a need.

So, you can blame the deaths on whatever you want, but I am sure the widows of those who died would beg to differ with your defense of your investment in technology. I do not know much about the Meg, but it is also an untested unit. The problem your client had with the Topaz was something that they were supposed to check as part of their predive checklist. The elbows are removable and built to be that way. It would be understandable that it could come loose. Should have checked that prior to entering the water. So, did the diver do a predive check with the checklist as he was trained? Oh, also the no BS part is that the Topaz passed all Navy testing, through manned testing and out performed the MK16 and 15.5. Was also independently tested by DCIEM, passed there too.

I may be biased to the Topaz, but at least I can look at data that supports my bias. Kevin Gurr's unit (cannot spell the strange name) just received total pass on CE. So, I have not seen that data yet, but I imagine it is pretty good. Be interesting to compare that side by side with the Inspiration. Oh wait, I doubt they will release their data to compare. Well, sit down with the CE standard and look at the manual. Not too tough to figure out the real deal.

So, with all the noise out there and all the total fabrications about performance, I tend to lean on a company that can show me the data. So, if you plan on purchasing a unit or diving one ask for independent test data for it and to what standard it met.

The RB80 is a semiclosed RMV keyed unit. It has its own issues. DIR does not enter this conversation because they do not do closed circuit. They also have zero performance data or testing of their semiclosed. I will tell you I can imagine there can be CO2 issues with it because of counterlung design. But, they are very closed lipped, so issues are unknown for the most part. It might be okay. Problem is there is no way to know for sure without testing.

It will be interesting to see if DIR or I should say GUE become okay with CCR if they all of the sudden have a need for it in one of their projects. Hum, kind of like sidemount. Interesting. Liked Scubapro regs when they sold them, not any more now that they don't. Is it a system or a marketing campaign? Thought systems were independent of the tools they used? Well, I will leave that discussion for another time and place.

People will do what they want. I do not own a unit at the moment. Will one day. It is the future of the sport. Especially on the exploration front. But, it is totally buyer beware out there. People are more interested in defending their purchase decisions than talking real issues and problems. Do not believe the representatives of any company. Ask for performance data and testing info and demand that it comes from someone that is not tied to the company. Do a ton of homework before you invest in it.

Now, more on topic.

Closed Circuit Rebreather, CCR, is a loop that allows the diver to capture the gas that has gone through the body. We need to deal with carbon dioxide that we produce and make up for the oxygen we use with each breath.

Semiclosed, only uses one gas mixture. Some variation of nitrox. Since it is making up for the loss of oxygen by adding both nitrogen and oxygen with nitrox, it must let out gas in regular intervals. Depends on the type of semiclosed and depth of the dive as to how often that happens.

All rebreather, regardless of type, have to scrub carbon dioxide. The scrubber is what limits your duration underwater. You can always plumb in more gas. The reaction to scrub carbon dioxide is accomplished with the use of sodium hydroxide, effectively. There are other trace items in there. This reaction produces moisture and heat. So this leads to one of the benefits of rebreathers. The breathing mixture is warmer and moister. So, you do not get as cold and the cotton mouth is gone. Not a bad thing by any means.

The real advantage with CCR is having the gas duration of the unit at any depth. Because oxygen use is based on the bodies metabolic rate, it only has to be replaced in small amounts. The body does not use more at depth as we do on OC. It is based on the workload the diver is faced with. So, we still have to deal with our inert gasses, meaning we have to decompress or track no stop times, but if we have a six hour duration that is six hours to whatever depth the unit is capable of going and the diver is trained to do.

The other advantage is that the unit is at a constant PO2. Unlike OC nitrox where we have to track PO2 and have maximum depths we can dive. On CCR you can pick and fly any PO2 you like. So, as soon as we dive multilevel, we begin to breath richer and richer mixtures of nitrox as we progress to shallower depths. So, you end up, with the right planning, with the ability to dive no stop for as long as anyone would possibly want to stay in the water. It is real freedom. Only come up when you want to.

The disadvantages are that it does require training. The courses should be four or five days at least for CCR. No amount of OC experience translates to CCR, so forget about jumping out of class and going right to where you were on OC, especially tech divers. If you cannot program a VCR, CCR diving is not for you. CCR diving requires an awareness and mindset of checking things regularly. The cost of the unit is generally expensive, but if you own top of the line OC gear, you have probably spent more than CCR costs. Once you are dialed in, the pre and post dive routine does not take that long. Maybe twenty to twenty five minutes on predive and post dive maybe fifteen or twenty. This is of course only at the beginning and end of the day. If you are diving several times in the day there is alittle bit to do between dives, but much less that an OC diver has to when refillling cylinders and such. The CCR diver can get back in anytime they want.

The main thing to keep in mind is that on OC when something goes wrong with gear, you know it right away. On CCR, because you are rebreathing your own gas, if you do not pay attention or you become complacent, you can happily keep breathing till there is no oxygen left to breath. There are some other issues that are covered in a good course.

All of this is monitored by three sensors. Three so you have a true voting system, if a sensor should fail. These sensors send information to a computer about oxygen PO2. Then the computer automatically adds oxygen as needed to make up for the use. The CO2 scrubbing is a passive thing. Gas passing through material.

So, CCR can be awesome. I recommend that you do your homework.

Pick a unit that has these things.

Independent testing to a measurable standard that you can easily compare. Demand the data.

You can continue to dive in closed circuit mode with no power to the unit. Fly it shut off and stay on it in CCR mode.

Has a true secondary display that is powered by sensor output. Not what is essentially another primary.

Does not want to recalibrate with 100 O2 if turned off when at depth and then will auto inject pure oxygen into the unit. The unit should know it is diving.

Has tested performance that matches your demands for the unit.

Scrubber design that matches the depth you plan to eventually get it to. Well times are critical. Always ask at what workload and temperature the duration was tested at. Because it is longer the warmer the temperature and the lower the CO2 load.

The weight and configuration meets your needs. Not all CCRs are heavy.

The performance data meets your needs.

Do not train with someone on CCR that

Makes promises that seem too good to be true.

Offers short or free classes.

Is the same person that sells you the unit. It is a conflict of interest that can lead to them being far less open about potential problems than someone that does not care if you return the unit.

Does not train for unit failures or suggests that very little or nothing can go wrong.

That tells you CCR is just like OC.

Has a less than serious attitude toward your safety on the unit.

Anyone that suggests you just trust the unit.

Anyone that cannot backup any claim about performance or safety with independent data.

That offers a course shorter than four very long days or five more normal ones, if not longer.

That suggests you can take your new CCR right back to where you were diving trimix with OC tech dives right after your entery level course.

Anyone that does not suggest working to depth slowly.

Anyone that suggests you can immediately do other things while diving the unit after the course.

CCR is its own mindset. Approaching CCR with an OC mindset that you just hookup the unit and away you go is dangerous and you want to stay away from them.

CCR is a wonderful tool. It is very useful for the recreational diver that wants to gain a lot of bottom time, but the cost is you have to learn how to survive on the rebreather. You do not learn how to dive on them, you learn how to survive on them. They do not fail often, that is why it is important to have a how can this fail mentality. The design and performance of the unit is what is going to help you solve those problems in the rare event they occur. Your training is the foundation that is going to allow you to use that tool.

I do not want to scare you out of trying rebreathers or buying them. Just be smart about it.

My long two cents. M you sure you wanted me back. LOL

Grant

Edited by bigblueplanet, 18 November 2004 - 11:39 PM.

#17 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 November 2004 - 12:01 AM

My long two cents. M you sure you wanted me back. LOL

HECK yes!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#18 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 19 November 2004 - 12:04 AM

Rebreathers aren't much of a concern to me RIGHT NOW, except that I occasionally dive with people that use them. They brief on the emergency procedures (ie. their bail-out gas) before we go down. I insist on it.

Until I come up with about 10K lying around, I don't see a rebreather in my future. I have tri-mix to work towards and wreck charters to pay for. But that is interesting information as I do believe that these devices are the future of technical diving. I just wish to wait until the bugs get ironed out and I have more experience diving before going that way.

I understand that OC experience is different. But, the stress management skills developed by experience cannot be replaced and the basic technology is old (used back in WWII as a matter of fact), but the control systems now are untested in my mind. I don't feel like being that "test pilot" that discovers the problems in the gear with not enough experience to get myself out.

Thanks for the briefing Grant. Good to see you come back out to play :teeth: .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#19 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 19 November 2004 - 12:11 AM

Hmmm....we've got an MIA sd.com member that dives rebreathers for a living. Time to go drag him out of the woodwork, methinks.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#20 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 19 November 2004 - 01:12 AM

WOW, Grant! One post and I'm cured of the cancer!

Add faith healer to your resume.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#21 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer

Posted 19 November 2004 - 02:45 AM

LMAO... I doubt it. Won't hold it against you. Agree to disagree. It can be treated. LOL

Don't think I will be joining the faith healing circuit any time soon. G2

#22 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:29 AM

Bigblueplanet's principal post contains a number of significant factual errors that I'll address when I've returned from a diving trip I'm off on with, guess what, an Inspiration! Plus a number of suggestions/inferences that I see as way off the mark. I should point out that I have no financial or other particular interest in the Inspiration, but it pains me to see so much mis-information out there. In 24 hours.

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs

Posted 19 November 2004 - 11:13 AM

The trouble with you, Trace, is that I never know when you're being serious!

I know! Kamala thought I hated blondes and Vanessa thought I actually liked her!

Dude...you are TOTALLY MEAN!!! Even if you are kidding! :cool1:

p.s. there is some great discussion on this thread and its good to see you back BBP!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#24 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 07:07 PM

Hello again, guys! I’m back from dicing with death with my Inspiration, and now I can address what I see as the innuendo and error in "bigblueplanet"s post. I’ll deal with the various points in the order they appear:-

1) You can turn an Inspiration off and fly it, in SCR mode. I’ve done it lots, in training. You find me a unit that can be dived “normally” with the electronics off, with full triple-sensor voting. The new model Inspiration, out about now, has a “head-up” display which I think gives a PO2 reading regardless of the status of the electronics, but as with other units that is based on reading a single cell and should not be relied on.

2) They “like to say” they have a CE rating ….. they do have a CE rating, which is a very expensive and tortuous process. I don’t know what you mean about CE permitting “missing the mark” so long as it is admitted. If I understand you correctly that statement is incorrect.

3) Inspirations may well have been tested by the US Navy, I don’t know, but be aware that any military testing is looking for design features of no relevance to normal “domestic” users, and at a number of aspects which are not to do with the machine itself. US government agencies, for example, are not allowed to use products partly sourced from countries your government doesn’t currently approve of. I know this first hand, from my experiences in procurement in the UK armed forces – the US tries to force its will on other NATO countries, fortunately usually with little effect.

4) I know US military personnel who use Inspirations for their personal diving.

5) Performance data is not released by the US military procurement service, any more than the UK, French or German equivalents, so unless you have inside knowledge I don’t know how you can say this.

6) Please do not attribute motives that you cannot know about. I am not “defending my investment in technology”, nor do I know any other rebreather divers who do that, regardless of the model they use.

7) “The Meg is …. an untested unit”. What do you mean by “untested? What testing should take place, conducted by whom? What are these standards you recommend people refer to? I do know that Tom Mount has thousands of hours on his, and loves it. Does that count as testing?

8) The problem with the Prism Topaz we had here was an unexpected catastrophic failure of something that was (apparently) perfect at the start of the dive. Nothing came loose or could have been anticipated, and this diver was an extremely careful and fastidious individual who was meticulous with all his checks. The “elbows” (which I call T-pieces) on the domestic model of the Prism are heat welded to the counterlungs and are not removable, or at any rate that was the case then and I believe is still the case. Only on the model intended for commercial/military use do they clamp both sides of the lung (as is the case on the Inspiration and, in fact, every other CCR I know. I discussed this at some length both over the phone and at DEMA with the manufacturers (who incidentally are English like me).

9) It may be of interest that during my client’s week of diving with his Prism we had to deal with other potential failures that are certainly not part of planned maintenance. There are some very exposed metal pipes and the union junctions on some of these began to work loose.

10) The Prism did not complete its US military acceptance tests and was rejected. Again, I could be out of date but that certainly was the case.

11) I didn’t know Kevin was going for CE approval, as when I spoke to him about it quite some time ago he said he wouldn’t on grounds of cost. His machine is designed for advanced expedition work and is in a completely different league to the Inspiration, Prism, Meg, or any other unit aimed at the recreational market, as can be seen by the vastly greater price - I think it’s back in Cis-Lunar territory.

12) I don’t know what key data you don’t expect AP Valves to release about the Inspiration, but you can be sure that Kevin won’t release that information either. No more do Steam Machines.

13) “Fabrications about performance” – what is your factual basis for this statement, as I don’t believe it? Because of the CE certification there is far more recorded about the Inspiration than about any other CCR (ignoring Kevin’s for this purpose).

14) The support infrastructure for the Inspiration is sound and effective; there is none for any other rebreather. Only recently they set up a US distributor (Silent Diving Systems), partly to service the market better (as the machine is so popular) but also to prove to American sceptics that they aren’t afraid of the US legal system, a very popular comment previously.

15) To return to the question of my interest in this matter. I have dived a number of rebreathers and have several, the Inspiration being one. In fact I currently have two Inspirations, which I use for rental at my facility as well as personal diving. The Inspirations are there because most demand for tuition and rental is for them. So long as they earn me money I will keep them.

16) I do have particular concerns about the Inspiration, but about its longevity rather than its safety. I have too frequently had to replace expensive components when they have failed prematurely, which renders the unit at best marginal as a profit center in my business. If I choose to move them on it will be for this reason, not to do with safety. I also find them a bit bulky and heavy, but this is largely because of the casing which was added to give the unit greater protection in everyday use. The other units without such a casing are generally very fragile.

17) The general bias of your report is towards saying that there are a lot of uncrupulous instructors and dealers out there, teaching to low or non-existent standards. Otherwise why emphasise the importance of avoiding these people? I cannot begin to imagine who or where these people are, because I certainly haven’t come across them. Please enlighten me – from the forcefulness of your message you must have met some. But if they do exist then people should obviously steer clear, as with bogus instructors for any discipline. Look for credentials from a reputable agency and if still in any doubt ask the agency if the “instructor” is still in good status with them.

18) The standard training course for the Inspiration was written by IANTD, and if you’re going to start criticising them or their instructors you need to be very sure of your facts. Having done two of my Inspiration ratings with the head of IANTD, and watched others being trained, I can say for certain that they are extremely picky about who they allow to become instructors. Instructors are also given interactive guidance on how to handle difficult cases.

19) TDI have recently entered the training market, having decided (apparently contrary to your own conclusions) that the Inspiration is a mature piece of equipment that they can now safely teach (from a liability point of view). I haven’t read their Standards but I’m sure they’re competent.

20) AP Valves will only sell units to instructors who have passed recognised training courses, to be sure that divers cannot easily get their hands on them without proper training. Of course, if an owner sells his unit privately there is no way of controlling that, but if the unit is ever returned for maintenance/repair to AP Valves in England or Silent Diving Systems in the USA and is not registered to a certified diver they will not return it to that diver, but insist he takes and passes a recognised certification course first.

21) In conclusion, let me reiterate what I said originally. A CCR, any CCR, when properly used by a suitably trained and very untrusting diver permits diving with a freedom previously unimaginable. But if as a diver you are complacent about dive planning and safety drills, and/or do not know at all times what PO2 you are diving, then to quote the Inspiration manual “YOU WILL DIE. It’s not a question of whether, it’s a question of when".

By the way, I'm writing this to set the record straight. I'm really quite a nice sort of guy!

(light blue touchpaper and retreat to a safe distance.......)

Edited by peterbj7, 20 November 2004 - 07:08 PM.

#25 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 10:48 PM

Can I interest anyone in a $15 snorkel? I rebreath from mine after every freedive! :welcome:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#26 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:39 AM

Can I interest anyone in a $15 snorkel? I rebreath from mine after every freedive! :welcome:

Trace

Trace, does it have a "CE" rating? (whatever that is)

Peter, Grant, Im still trying to absorb both of ur posts. Are there any accident statistics/reports from DAN or someone else comparing different rebreathers? Im not talking about the dive magazines (financed by the manufacturers adverts) comparrisons that tend to be a little biased, but reputable studies. With the utmost respect, Im no clearer on the safety of different rebreathers after hearing two conflicting opinions and factual analysis.

Moving away from the "Product A is a death trap"vs"Product A is safe" debate and into the workings of rebreathers. We all know from OW that more gas is needed to fill the same volume under greater pressure. More mass(?) of gas is needed to fill our lungs at depth and on open circuit this additional gas comes from our tank(s) causing them to be used up quicker. As the CCR breathing loop is closed and you are simply changing the %'s of the gases in the loop, where does the extra gas to fill the lungs at depth come from? Example: say the counterlung provides a full breath at 1 ATA (I realise a full breath is an arbitrary measure of volume, and a real counterlung would probably be bigger, but bare with me). At 4 ATA (100ft/30m) the counterlung would only provide 1/4 of a full breath as it is compressed much like a freedivers lungs. Is it simply a case of topping up the breathing loop with more gas? What happens when this added gas expands on ascent, pressumably it is expelled from the breathing loop. Is this process of adding expelling gas in order to maintain the volume of the counterlung controlled by the unit or by the diver? Just something that was never explained when ppl have spoken to me abt rebreathers.

Whats the deco like for some of those long rebreather dives? I suppose keeping a high PO2 throughout the dive means less N2 uptake and quicker off gasing. But the long dive time means more tissues become saturated, the deco models for long dives must be quite "experimental" considering most deco studies are done using OC and recreational profiles.
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#27 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 01:35 PM

Good questions, Jack. In brief, yes, on descent diluent gas has to be added to the breathing loop, and expelled into the water on ascent. May people choose to do this manually via an "inject" button, but there are now widely available automatic devices that do this for you. I don't trust them and don't have them.

Clearly, as diluent is added at depth the PO2 will drop, so the machine then has to add O2 to restore the PO2 (though with descent this is rising anyway). This is a key reason why CCR divers in particular avoid yo-yo profies, but swim around rather than over obstructions. Otherwise they have to dump breathing loop gas on the way up, and inject diluent (and hence also O2) on the way back down again. When such a profile is unavoidable you'll see me briefly angled to swim downwards to overcome my rising buoyancy so as to avoid wasting gas, or angled upwards when I've had to dip briefly. The scope for this is limited, though, as the ideal is to have counterlungs that are just large enough for your lungs to fill and empty them (we call this "minimum loop" diving) so it doesn't take much ascent or descent to render breathing well nigh impossible.

To start the dive you set a default PO2 that is quite low, one that is sustainable at the surface. On the Inspiration this defaults to 0.7, but can be changed. On initial descent, to avoid being seriously over-weighted most CCR divers empty the BCD and breathe out all the gas from the loop and their lungs (commonly by breathing out through the nose) until their descent becomes established. That means no gas whatsoever in the loop and no possibility of breathing until down to maybe 5 metres. New CCR divers find this a most unpleasant sensation. Then you add diluent to the loop and probably also to the BCD to slow your descent, check your PO2 and all other readings, roll over to do a bubble check (vitally important with a CCR), and continue to add diluent and check PO2 all the way down.

Once at the bottom you can raise the PO2 to your planned "operating" PO2. You didn't want to do it while still descending as that can cause an unacceptable PO2 spike. Again, the Inspiration defaults to 1.3 but this can be changed at any time. Not so on some other machines, it must be said - on those the PO2 you set on the surface you're stuck with. You can set it low and manually inject O2 to maintain a higher PO2, but you can't do the opposite, as the machine will automatically add O2 whenever the PO2 drop below its setting. Actually, you can by shutting off the O2 valve and re-opening it briefly periodically to raise the PO2. Part of normal training and a good thing to repeat periodically (as with all training drills), but a dodgy practice for routine diving. If you leave the valve shut and forget to re-open it you'll need the low PO2 alarm to remind you, and alarms can fail.

If it's a long dive you have to consider your uptake of OTUs (an indication of how long you're exposed to a high O2 PO2). It is necessary to keep this within limits, just as with OC tech diving but much more so. Age and condition are factors in sensitivity to sustained high PO2, and many people choose to dive at well below 1.3 - often down to 1.1 or 1.0. This clearly increases uptake of nitrogen and hence deco obligation, and hence dive time, but rather that than go blind! Of course, with CCR an unscheduled increase in dive length is usually just a nuisance, not the life-threatening disaster it would be for OC.

As to deco, or "how long is a piece of string?", I can best give an example. I occasionally take my machine on a 3 hour local dive. Typically I'll go down within the first 15 minutes to around 50 metres (170') and then I'll stay there (obviously moving around, swimming along our reef, but staying at constant depth) for the next 90 minutes or so. Then I'll come up to maybe 30 metres (100') for 30/40 minutes, and then gradually work my way back up to the top of the reef in around 15 metres (50'). Using a VR3 which certainly shows stops, I'll usually see the stops vanish before I reach them. I have to keepmy eyes glued on the wretched thing, though, because there's usually one deep stop that still has a minute to go when I reach it and several times I've missed it. Then the computer says "use tables" for the rest of the dive. I know lots of people who do this with a VR3, but it really doesn't matter as the computer still works fully and it's only about a minute that's been missed.

From the reef I go up an existing anchor line if there is one, up my own DSMB line (remember that discussion? - I hope you're using one now) or sometimes do a free ascent. I hate doing a free ascent on a CCR as maintaining constant depth is very difficult - your buoyancy with a CCR is in unstable equilibrium. But many CCR divers do it regularly, and during my various training courses to date Tom Mount insisted on free ascents on every dive. My last (only!) stop on this dive is typically at 4.5 metres (15 feet) for around 45 minutes.

So you can see that the deco obligation for a dive greatly deeper and longer than any you're likely to do on OC is very small. These dives are usually using air as the diluent. My biggest problem is actually working out how much bail-out gas I need to carry. I often choose one tank that will be breathable at depth (air in this case) and one of around 50% nitrox.

This is for two reasons. If I have to bail out to OC (very unlikely but possible) I can breathe the air I have in the on-board cylinder and then the left bailout tank (the air one). The OC convention of keeping weak stage mixes on the left and rich on the right has a particular significance for the Inspiration, as if for any reason I am still on the loop but have exhausted the on-board diluent (very unlikely unless there's a leak) I can swap the diluent connection to the off-board tank. I choose 50% because if I am on the loop and am out of O2 (again, very unlikely) I can swap in the 50% in its place. I don't need to recalibrate and to do so underwater would be difficult, because the O2 sensors will still read what's actually there, and either the injection system will have to work overtime or (more likely) I'll set the PO2 on the computers so the injectors will only work if it's getting dangerously low, and I'll inject manually for the rest of the dive. I will, after all, be curtailing the dive at that point. If I'm on OC because of a loop flood (the only reason to be on OC) I can switch to the 50% a lot deeper than I could with anything richer.

A word on emergency options. Aprt from a brief "sanity breath" on OC if something's gone wrong and you have to think it out, the only time you'll ever find yourself having to go to OC is if the loop floods. In that case some rebreathers are prone to giving you a "caustic cocktail" (when water gets into the scrubber and reacts, producing a rapidly expanding alkaline foam). Inspirations by their design are unlikely to do this to you, and in training I completely flooded the loop on mine with no effect other than that I couldn't suck gas in. I have however had a caustic cocktail with a Draeger and it was a dreadful experience - I had alkaline burns down my throat and couldn't dive for a week - I couldn't eat solid food for 2 days. The best machine in this regard was the now defunct (and exceedingly expensive) Cis-Lunar Mk5, by virtue of the design of the canister that holds the CO2 absorbent.

When I dive trimix I don't always go to silly depths. I can do (and have done) the above dive with a diluent of heliair (10/50), which of course only has 40% nitrogen. Given that I properly allow for the helium (you need training for that) I have way less nitrogen in my body and the final (and only) stop can easily be as little as 20 minutes. If I do go deeper (around 100 metres so far, 330') I obviously have a greater decompression obligation, but still not much. The main consideration with going to those sorts of depths is bailout. You would be amazed how quickly a 3 litre (20 cu.ft.) tank of diluent, already partly used, gets emptied. So typically I have 3 or 4 bailout tanks with various gases in them. It's much easier if I have a buddy (as I usually do if I'm on mix, but often don't on air) because then we can apply group rules to the gas quantities we need to carry. Look at a cave or advanced deep diving manual for an explanation.

Oh, "CE" is the symbol used by the EU testing agency, a bit like a cross between the UK's HSE and BSI (which is similar to the US's SAE). Certain products can only be sold retail if they have been tested to their standards, and with other products it's optional but most sizeable manufacturers go for it. It's a very slow, expensive and bureaucratic process, but ultimately a very sound one. Because the other main manufacturing nations of the world have nothing like it, and in any case because the EU is by far the largest economic entity in the world and everyone wants to be able to sell into it, it has become the "de facto" international standard of quality. "Quality" means not just of the final product, but of the extraction and production processes involved at every stage of production of the components and the final product itself, the stability and well-foundedness of the companies involved, their policies towards their staff, their payments records to creditors, their internal documentation, internal audit procedures, and many many other "peripheral" aspects. So far as I know there is no overt political vetting as with procurement by US government agencies. As a Brit/European I thought you might have known this!!

That do for now?

#28 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:23 PM

That do for now?

Absolutely! Thanks Peter :D

Rebreather diving sounds more close to using a space suit than the single tank OC diving most of us do.

best Yoda voice: "Much to learn you have, hmmmmn!"

Aside: a good book about rebreather cave exploration is "Beyond the Deep" by Bill Stone, he and others built the Cis-Lunar Rebreather for their expedition to dive a sump thousands of feet into a Mexican cave. Very interesting

Thanks again for another enlightening discussion.
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#29 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 06:22 PM

That do for now?

Absolutely! Thanks Peter :D

Rebreather diving sounds more close to using a space suit than the single tank OC diving most of us do.

best Yoda voice: "Much to learn you have, hmmmmn!"

Aside: a good book about rebreather cave exploration is "Beyond the Deep" by Bill Stone, he and others built the Cis-Lunar Rebreather for their expedition to dive a sump thousands of feet into a Mexican cave. Very interesting

Thanks again for another enlightening discussion.

The book's subtitle: How not to make it to the back of Wakulla :lmao:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#30 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 06:58 PM

One of the best books available on rebreathers, and a standard study text, is "Understanding Rebreathers" by Jeff Bozanic. Published by IANTD.

Re-reading my last post above I see I forgot to describe the SCR operation of a CCR, when it's necessary, and its benefits. Maybe someone else wants to pick this one up and run with it ......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users