• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving and medicine

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:44 AM

Some of us are potty trained better than others. Don't sweat it, Jennifer, it's a disgusting practice anyway. You might want to work on the ocean aspect, some boats don't have heads.

And the smell of some the heads of the heads on some of the boats that do have them is not a good thing to think about! :teeth:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#17 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 11 April 2004 - 03:46 PM

Let's see - what were we talkling about here...?

How about the big 3D for starters.  Drinking, Diving and Dehydration. Any takers?

To your knowledge...are they finally tying DCS to dehydration and sleep deprivation?

Having been warned that Regular Coffee was a diuretic, while DeCaf is not, I switched to the latter for diving, and I think I have indeed noticed that I pee less, even tho whizin' in my wet suit doesn't bother me; like Jer said: "That's what the safety stop is far, right?" Yep, one reason, anyway. I just have to remind myself to stop that practice when I change into street clothes... :teeth:

Otherwise, I don't drink empty water. I cannot cite references at the moment, but working with my general memory, et al, I think I've read that urine is saltier than ocean water, and it's really important that we replace the sodium chloride lost, therefore just water - or worse, bottled water, which is usually "distrilled quality" water produced by Reverse Osmosis - will not really hydrate well. We need to add extra salt to our diet or drink.

And somewhere else - I heard that adding additional potassium choride is a good idea. Here's one refernce, underlined emphasis mine:

The mineral potassium is important to your body for a strong healthy nervous system, maintaining a regular heart beat and proper muscle contraction. Potassium nourishes the heart, kidneys, pancreas, muscles and the nerves. Potassium works with sodium to regulate the body's water balance. Potassium is very important to chemical reactions inside cells. It also controls the flow of nutrients through cell walls.  Potassium also helps in transmission of electrochemical impulses needed by the human nervous system. Potassium is also needed to maintain a stable blood pressure level.

To accomplish these two objectives, I've tried adding 3/8 teaspoon NaCl and 1/8 teaspoon KCl to 2 quarts of Koolaid made with 1/2 the sugar directed on the package, and that seemed to work well.

Morton Life Salt seems to be a mix of NaCl and KCl, and I working with the idea of adding 1/4 teaspoon to 1 quart of coffee, Koolaid, etc to bolster electrolyte needs. And - I'll be looking forward to The Doc comments on all this...

Otherwise, Partying & Diving is for dummies - people I don't want to dive with!

:)
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#18 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 11 April 2004 - 06:31 PM

Thanks Don
I was enjoying reading this post earlier and thought I would come back and ask about salt as a way of retaining water but you clearly covered that for me.

Again Thanks

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#19 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 06:45 PM

I am curious, though. As most of us in the US already consume FAR more salt than we need (ask a cardiologist), I guess that I don't see the need for any extra electrolytes. I always assumed that divers don't work hard enough to warrant that. The electrolyte drinks were always for the actual athletes that run marathons and that type of thing, the way that I was taught.

Doctor! Help settle this!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#20 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 11 April 2004 - 06:54 PM

Thats A Good point to Brian
Until the Doc shows up what do you think of this statement ?

Don

The mineral potassium is important to your body for a strong healthy nervous system, maintaining a regular heart beat and proper muscle contraction. Potassium nourishes the heart, kidneys, pancreas, muscles and the nerves. Potassium works with sodium to regulate the body's water balance. Potassium is very important to chemical reactions inside cells. It also controls the flow of nutrients through cell walls.  Potassium also helps in transmission of electrochemical impulses needed by the human nervous system. Potassium is also needed to maintain a stable blood pressure level.

I think he is right on track with that.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#21 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:40 PM

I just have to remind myself to stop that practice when I change into street clothes...

Thanks Don for clarifying that practice.
Well, Happy Easter to all. I have spent the day at one of my bro's house watching his kids run around looking for colored plastic eggs, then eating and drinking way too much (since I was not going to be diving),
What great posts! You guys (and girls) are awesome. Good thoughts all around, and I am not sure I can add "the definitive answer", but here goes.

Dehydration: yes the answer is fluid flow (circulation/ perfusion, etc). Think of a cold mountain stream. If the stream does not have much water in it, and is flowing slowly from obstructions, it will freeze (sludge). If the stream has lots of water in it, even if the air temp is freezing, the stream still flows. Same concept with keeping our blood vessel tank "full" when we dive. Optimal blood flow and tissue perfusion means optimal ongass and offgassing of nitrogen. Dehydration by any means, including the diuretic effect (pee factor) of alcohol and caffeine, limits blood volume, and therefore flow. Other factors that affect blood vessels and tissue perfusion (blood, oxygen and nutrients to the cells in the tissue) include chemicals that cause blood vessels to narrow, or blood to be shunted away from various body parts. Adrenaline being a major one. Cold, anxiety, exertion, stress, lack of sleep, etc can all raise adrenaline level, and affect our blood vessel tone and tissue perfusion. We all have roughly 5-6 liters of blood volume in us, and about 150 liters of potential space in the pipes (blood vessels). The body regulates where that flow will go. A Dr Strauss has named "disordered decompression sickness" as events which cause blood flow "disorder", leading to DCS. Other conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, Raunauds, prior surgery or injury and lots of others factors also affect blood flow.
As for electrolytes; Athletes, marathoners, etc sweat out salts, and they need to replace what they lose. We mainly need fluid (volume) status to be optimal in the blood vessels. That can be by any non-alcohol or non-caffeine containing solution (to avoid peeing out the fluid). Dan, your "mix of life" sounds good, but I don't have the organizational skills or patience to prepare it. Gatorade is good, but so is water for the short term. Don't get wrapped up on the exact composition of the fluid you are taking, just take lots of it. We normally say drink fluids till your urine is near-clear in color, but if you are wringing out the wetsuit to check...... how is one to know?
I will quit, cause those that know me know that I can talk for hours. It's genetic. Great discussion, and lets keep it up.
I will start another thread soon on what drugs (legal) we can take to lessen our risk of DCS.
mark

Edited by Walter, 11 April 2004 - 09:04 PM.

Diving; My zen space.

#22 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:01 PM

Wow... an actual serious thread for once. See what happens when I take a day off to go Easter egg hunting? ( Though you should probably know the Easter eggs I was finding today were squid eggs... max depth 87 feet. ) :)

Hydration. Can't say enough about it. I usually take water and gatorade when diving. I heard somewhere that too much gatorade is a bad thing, so I'll do a 32 ounce bottle and a lot more water to keep the fluid level up. Bananas are your friend, just be sure NOT TO EAT THEM ON THE BOAT!!!! ( To prevent confusion amongst the blondes reading this... bananas have nothing to do with proper hydration. They are a fruit, grown in third world countries... very tasty. I only mention them because it relates to potassium. LOL :welcome: )

About lack of sleep... While this is hardly scientific, I have noticed that the only time I ever get noticably narced at depth ( and it's never a happy narc, it's always a dark paranoid narcosis ) is when I have not gotten good rest the night before. I can survive on six hours a night, but on just about every occaision that I go diving on 4 hours sleep or less, I will get very narced below 80 feet, guaranteed. Given this obvious external symptom, it does lead to obvious questions about what's happening in my body on a microscopic level that I'm not aware of. So I'd have to say proper rest is a must.

#23 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:08 PM

I've noticed only a small % of boat crews are superstitious about bananas. Most don't object.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#24 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:14 PM

I've noticed only a small % of boat crews are superstitious about bananas. Most don't object.

You mean that they are serious about some boat crews having a problem with bananas. I didn't know that! I've never seen a problem with them.

#25 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:15 PM

Love the banana line. Hey WW, as our local blonde expert.....I know you are asking "if it is a virgin banana daqueri, can you take it on the boat?"
Agree about sleep. LOTS of physiology going on that we just don't understand, but then, Mother Nature keeps some things to herself for us to "discover" in the years to come.
I fully agree about sufficient hydration and sleep to get us in the optimal condition to enjoy diving for many years. We all probably don't take in enough trace elements, minerals, and such, esp when on vacation. Citrus, bananas (again, WW, without the rum in it), and some sort of vitamin supplementation are all on the good list. As well as a full dose aspirin a day while diving (more to follow)
Diving; My zen space.

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:48 PM

I've noticed only a small % of boat crews are superstitious about bananas.  Most don't object.

You mean that they are serious about some boat crews having a problem with bananas. I didn't know that! I've never seen a problem with them.

YES.....MANY boat operators are VERY superstitious about bananas...and being the resident blonde who NEEDS her bananas....YES I DO.....NEED THEM THAT IS......no don't be silly.....its for the potassium.....yes that's right...I need them for the potassium....

But on with my story....so YES many boat operators are very superstitious about bananas and the reason is that in the olden days they contained spiders and if a banana spider bit a sailor at sea...he could die due to limited medical treatments available at the time.

However fortunately for us banana loving folks....my NC boat operator has finally allow bananas on the boat....however eating them will be graded!!! LOL!!! True story.... :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:53 PM

I am curious, though. As most of us in the US already consume FAR more salt than we need (ask a cardiologist), I guess that I don't see the need for any extra electrolytes. I always assumed that divers don't work hard enough to warrant that. The electrolyte drinks were always for the actual athletes that run marathons and that type of thing, the way that I was taught.

Doctor! Help settle this!

Hey Brian...you are right...we consume far too much sodium and only the most strenuous of exercise requires the replenishment of salts...a level of exertion that most of us never achieve. Even Zendiver a competitive body builder replenishes with predominately H20.....pure, clean, and preferably non-RO water so that the needed minerals are still in it.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:54 PM

Wow... an actual serious thread for once.

Hey Coo's Toe....how come you haven't started one before this???? :welcome:

formerly...

#29 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:03 PM

I drink low sodium V8 juice. It's got a healthy dosage of potassium and lycopene and because it's low sodium less salt. Not to mention that I like it. But I like Kilkenny better. :welcome:

#30 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:07 PM

However fortunately for us banana loving folks....my NC boat operator has finally allow bananas on the boat....however eating them will be graded!!! LOL!!! True story.... :welcome:

Graded on what? Oh never mind, if we go on with that topic, it will wind up in "issues related to being single forum" and we will create more work for Walter to keep us all in line!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users