• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Timmy's in the well

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#16 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:40 PM

Hey Doc!

You're picking some good topcis here. Makes a guy want to tune in everyday, even with the risks around here.

It's not so much how deep you go, but how fast you asend, if I understand this area correctly. A diver is going to absorb some extra N2 at any depth, and more at greater depths, but - the solution from any recreational depth is to offgass the disolved gas slowly enough to not form bubbles in the blood.

I ascent at 1 foot every 2 seconds to 50 feet where I stop for 1 minute. I then continue at the same rate to 40 feet where I stop for 1 minute. I then ascend more slowly, 1 foot every 3 seconds, to 30 feet where I stop for 3 minutes. I then ascend at the same rate to 15 feet where I stop for 5 or more minutes.

Wow - that's impressive. Sounds excessive to me, but maybe I should consider it more. From what I've seen of Walter, he's probably seriously doing it, not just talking it.

You are absolutely correct.  Most divers pop immediately to the surface from their 15 ft safety stop.  It should be a time to slow the ascent.  A slow acscent from 15 ft requires better buoyancy control which may be part of the problem.

Horrible practice!! There's a greater relative change in pressure in the top 15 feet than any other 15 foot segment of the water column.

1 ft/2 seconds to 50.  Stop for one minute then ascend to 20' (same ascent rate) for one more minute.  Then 3 min at 10'.

Not as careful as the more extrmeme example above above, but this plan is more likely to be followed by someone looking here to learn. Still very conservative, as well as worth the time & effort.

What I do is not quite so conservative, but somewhat similar: 1ft/sec to 60 ft, 1 ft/2 sec above 60 - with a 1 minute stop at 1/2 max, or 50 feet in this study, then a 1 minute stop at 1/4 max, or 25 feet here, then easing up to 10 ft over the next 3-5 minutes. Air consumption is so much slower in the shallows, so why not?

My preferred ascent rate is easy to do on a mooring line, but more challenging on a free ascent. This is the same ascent rate required of my newest computer, so if I can keep it quiet, it's accomplished, albeit a rare occurance for me.

I have also noticed that once someone earns a manditory deco obligation of say 1-3 minutes that they typically clear that manditory deco obligation but then fail to add the extra safety margin of another 3-5 minutes which they would have done or should have done had they stayed within no decompression limits.

Boy - Not Me!! My computers are no more conservative than PADI tables, even though a little different, so when they require anything, I give them that much plus some, always. If either of them demands 3 minutes, I give them at least that much plus the 3 minutes I'd give them if they demanded nothing.

BTW: "Lassie" was played by many different dogs over the years, with a few different ones used on each segment for different behaviors, but - they were all played by males. The Freudian suggestions of a boy and his female dog were the marketing theme, but the females were too difficult to work with.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:45 PM

Depends on your definition.

I frequently dive Venice Beach seaching for fossils in low viz water. Usually my max depth is 17 feet or less. On those dives, I either don't make a safety stop of my entire dive is a safety stop. You pick it. At the end of the dive, I usually swim toward shore until my head breaks the surface, so my ascents are very slow and gradual.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:57 PM

Don,

Yes, it is excessive. That's the reason I designed it that way, to be excessive. When I was young, we never heard of safety stops. Decompression diving was a regular part of my dive plan and computers were pure imagination. As I aged, I recognized I'm more likely to get bent from those practices than in my youth. I dive very conservatively and am likely to get more conservative as time passes.

If I'm not mistaken, the first Lassie was female, but they opted to replace her with males because of coat quality issues when a female is in heat. They wanted lassie to always look "her" best. I don't think it was because of any difficulty in working with a female.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#19 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:06 PM

Don,

What "risks"....that someone might crack a joke?

Lighten up dude, you are taking this all WAY too personally! :dltears:

Edited by Laura, 14 April 2004 - 02:12 PM.

WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#20 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:12 PM

I frequently dive Venice Beach seaching for fossils in low viz water.

Walter,

Do you happen to know Ken Davis and/or Steve Thacker? They run dives out of venice. Ken is a friend of mine from waaaay back....he used to be in the same dive club I am....until he moved South, that is

Laura

#21 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:13 PM

or risks that someone might make a rude comment like above!!! Lets be adults people!! Please! Or we'll make Lassie come lick you!!! And it won't be a nice place either!

Edited by hnladue, 14 April 2004 - 02:14 PM.

Sempar Partus!!

#22 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:14 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the first Lassie was female, but they opted to replace her with males because of coat quality issues when a female is in heat.

So in other words, Lassie got canned because she was horny and had a bad hair day?????

#23 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:15 PM

or risks that someone might make a rude comment like above!!!

I apologize. :-D

L

#24 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:19 PM

Thanks girl!!! Keep the love!!! :-D
Sempar Partus!!

#25 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:35 PM

Thanks girl!!! Keep the love!!! :-D

it's all good...

Peace,
L

#26 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:07 PM

So in other words, Lassie got canned because she was horny and had a bad hair day?????

Not exactly. This is all from memory and it was quite literally decades ago, the first Lassie was female. The show had a rather long run, using up two kids and a grown man, so they had to replace Lassie to allow a well deserved retirement. When the first Lassie retired, she was replaced by a male.

DSSW,

WWW™

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:14 PM

Don, so the only risks 'round these parts is me so right now you are safe! Or as my momma says...don't cry wolf unless you really see one! :teeth: (See what big teeth I can have???)

Laura....you are too funny girl....but no more teasing of Don. Otherwise I'll have to crack the whip on you...darn it where are Coppermaus's whips when I need them??? :o

Hnladue....KEEP feeling the love girl!! Breathe love in and Breathe love out!!! :D

As for the rest of us....its time to enter the "ZEN ZONE" and no that's not where Zendiver parks his car!!!

As we enter the ZEN ZONE.....breathe in deeply.....remember all the love from above.....and imagine it running thru your veins..... :wavey:

Think happy thoughts.....happy happy happy thoughts...... like

PEACE............LOVE..............and SINGLEDIVERS.COM :)

Now that we are all feeling the LOVE....the PEACE....and the FUN again.....

you may return to your regularily scheduled posting!! :bye:

If you did not reach the required state of ZEN.....please repeat the steps above until you do!!!

:-D Wreck Wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#28 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:41 PM

OK, it looks like Don was correct. I was wrong!

From the unofficial Lassie website:

All the dogs portraying Lassie have been male. A female collie was hired to play the lead in Lassie Come Home, but when an opportunity came to film "Lassie" negotiating some rapids, the female reportedly would have nothing to do with the rushing water. Rudd Weatherwax's collie "Pal" was substituted, and not only stole the stunt but won the role. Weatherwax continued to use male collies in the role for a good reason: both sexes shed in the summer (when most movies and television shows traditionally film most of their episodes), but since the male has a thicker coat, he wouldn't look so scrawny during filming. Also, fans tend to think of Lassie as a "big heroic dog." Female collies are usually 10-15 pounds lighter than their male counterparts, therefore a male dog playing Lassie would look more impressive. Female collies were not ignored because they are any less intelligent; in fact, some of Lassie's stunt doubles have been females.

DSSW,

WWW™

#29 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:47 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of different versions of the Lassy stories, from back when there were only three ice cream flavors! I never actually did research, though - you win!

Excpet here's one more tid bit, which could possibly be true. Most of the dogs used were actually neutered males - as they were more easily trained.

It's been so long, though; I might have made that one up...?
:teeth:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#30 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:58 PM

Sorry Laura, I don't know either of them.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users