• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Timmy's in the well

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#31 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:08 PM

Don,

There's no mention of neutering, but there is mention of Lassie "children," so it's not likely they were neutered.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#32 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:34 PM

As for the rest of us....its time to enter the "ZEN ZONE" and no that's not where Zendiver parks his car!!!

HEY.....I resemble that remark; however, it is NOT where I park my car, it's where I park myself!

True story on how I got my name.

Took a quite a few people over to Aquareana Springs to do the scientific course. There were 12 of us and the water temp is 72 degrees year round and most of the people were getting cold. We actually had to go through an obstacle course before we could dive in the springs. I was wearing a 3/2 mm and was comfortable so I told everyone to go ahead and go. In the meantime, I got out of their way to wait my turn. One of the members came over to me and had to wake me up because I had fallen asleep awaiting my turn. Once everyone was done, one of the members made a statement, "Now if that isn't Zendiving, I don't know what is!" So, the name stuck! :teeth:

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#33 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:10 PM

OK you guys. I post a thread last night when i got home (but then I got called back). Now I see that in the space of 24 hours, there have been 31 replies and 203 views of this topic!!!!! The most awesome part is that you guys are just right on the money with your profiles (like I had to tell you that). We have ascent profiles ranging from 30 ft/ min, stopping at half the max depth, then every 10 ft for 1 min each (Walter, Brian, others), to the Coo's plan of get to the martini's first by chopper. (I LMAO on that one).
Dive advice used to say 60 ft / min, with a 3 min "recommended safety stop" at 15 ft. Some dive site DM's still try to get you out of the water right after 3 min at 15 ft, like my last trip on the Nekton Rorqual in Mona Island. Here's what I said.
DAN, other dive agencies, and judgement now recommend a max ascent of 30 ft/ min (or 1 ft/ 2 sec). Stop at 1/2 your max depth and stay for 1 min.
Walter's plan of stopping at each 10 ft interval for 1 min thereafter is a great conservative profile. Another view is to ascend at a rate of 10 ft/ min from your 1/2 max depth. This makes you concentrate on a SLOW ascent even more.
I recently read some impressive data on a study done on divers./ Three groups were sent to 80 ft. 1 group came up at 60 ft/ min straight to the surface. 2nd group did the same with a 3-5 min stop at 15 ft. 3rd group did the same with a 1 min stop at 20 ft, then the remainder of the 2-4 min stop at 15 ft. The researchers did transthoracic doppler studies on them all, looking for my friends the bubbles. There were TONS in the 1st group, lots in the 2nd group, and an impressively small amount in the 3rd group. Conclusion was a 1 min stop at 20 ft, then go to 15 ft made a BIG difference in bubble formation.
Project this concept of a 5 ft difference in safety stop depth, to a rapid ascent from 15 ft A"when the safety stop is done". DAN data suggests that many of the DCS related injuries in divers in 2003 seem to be related to a rapid ascent from 15 ft after a safety stop. That is going up quickly from 1/2 an atmosphere, afterall.
Also consider that when the Navy tables were first produced, and Haldane converted them into "civilian tables", the Navy accepted a 10% complication rate.

So summary: stop for 1 min at 1/2 your max depth, then ascend at an average rate of 10 ft/ min to 20 ft. Stop at 20 ft for 1 min, then go to 15 ft for the rest of a 3-5 min safety stop, then a SLOW ascent to the surface. I always try to be the last one out of the water, partly cause I do the above, partly cause you never know what may swim past, and partly cause it is always great fun to get back on the boat and say "hey, did ya'll see that whale shark at the end?"
Diving; My zen space.

#34 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:19 PM

Oh, by the way.. Thanks, Don for the nice words on the topics, and I hope you "come over from the other side" every now and then to check out the site. I think you can tell that the group is fun-loving, irreverent, but DAMN thoughtful and serious about their dive safety. I would dive with this crowd anytime, and hope to often. As for teasing, I was always told that those teased the most are those liked the most. Join in/
My other goal with this forum is to come up with a topic that gets more replies and views than Sapphire's "New to singledivers.com" personal intro page. I don't think I stand a chance on that though. Sapphire, you rock.
Diving; My zen space.

#35 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:27 PM

My other goal with this forum is to come up with a topic that gets more replies and views than Sapphire's "New to singledivers.com" personal intro page.

NP,

You have a nice smile, but............ Sapphire's smile takes the breath away. She's also much more than just a pretty face.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#36 sapphire

sapphire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:41 PM

you.... guys.... are.... embarrassing.... me :teeth:

and for good measure, Ana's smiley :anna: :anna:

No Pressure, I love reading the responses your posts provoke, I learn something every time -- thank you!

#37 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:51 PM

you.... guys.... are.... embarrassing.... me

Well, that's not my intention. I merely have a great deal of respect for you, my friend.

DSSW,

WWW™

#38 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:03 PM

Walter, I fully agree. Sapphire brings new meaning to the term breath holding. I would definitely blow a lung ascending with her.
And Jennifer, you are welcome. My intent is to "stir the waters" a bit, and get people talking. There is a tremendous wealth of personal experience and information in the group, and I think this site can provide a "comfortable forum" that encourages everyone to speak up. I am very happy that we don't have responses that are pages of medical trivia copied out of a textbook that isn't relevant to the topic. Then I would have to use the "bah humbug" smilie that ZD is going to find for me.
My only problem is going to be coming up with new topics. We've already covered the important ones, like diving with bananas.
Diving; My zen space.

#39 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:47 PM

Walter, I fully agree. Sapphire brings new meaning to the term breath holding. I would definitely blow a lung ascending with her.
And Jennifer, you are welcome. My intent is to "stir the waters" a bit, and get people talking. There is a tremendous wealth of personal experience and information in the group, and I think this site can provide a "comfortable forum" that encourages everyone to speak up. I am very happy that we don't have responses that are pages of medical trivia copied out of a textbook that isn't relevant to the topic. Then I would have to use the "bah humbug" smilie that ZD is going to find for me.
My only problem is going to be coming up with new topics. We've already covered the important ones, like diving with bananas.

I have another idea. What about an occassional first aid situation? I know that many of us (even the rescue trained) haven't had to deal with first aid stuff in a long time. It is a good topic for the Rescue Divers/First Aid trained among and something for our future dive buddies (that may not be rescue trained yet) to read so that maybe they remember it if something happens.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#40 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:31 AM

Sorry Laura, I don't know either of them.

Walter,

It's probably better that you don't know them......that way all my secrets are safe!! :)

Have a great day everyone, :-D
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#41 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:41 AM

I'll look 'em up, darlin'.

DSSW,

WWW™

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:30 AM

Er...hmmmm......actually I don't think we fully covered that topic...the banana topic but then maybe I just missed it??? I want my

pages of medical trivia copied out of a textbook that isn't relevant to the topic. 

on my BANANAS!!! :)

And yes...Marvel is right....I use that smilie too often so it does need long blonde hair on it!!! LOL!!! :-D

And now onto more serious topics....I always find it interesting to discuss boat entry and returns myself...especially the getting back on the boat part...yeah!!...and although not a medically related topic perse...if not done properly you better hope you have a medically trained individual around cuz you can really get hurt! :dltears:

Any takers on this topic for a new thread?

Or I like DiverBrian's idea of discussing a first aid box and its proper contents....which begs the question....just how many drugs do you NEED in a first aid kit? I've seen some whoppers!!! Or am I confused again and that was the doctors carrying the kits????? :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#43 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:37 AM

I always find it interesting to discuss boat entry and returns myself...especially the getting back on the boat part...yeah!!...

Good topic, I'll write something up in General Diving.

DSSW,

WWW™

#44 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 15 April 2004 - 08:25 AM

I'll look 'em up, darlin'.

Walter,

I doubt you will hear much, because we all abide by the rule "what happens at the cabin, stays at the cabin"

At least I hope Ken abides by that rule....

Nervously yours,
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#45 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 08:49 AM

LOL!

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users