• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Exits in rough water.

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#16 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 16 April 2004 - 11:26 AM

My favorite is the fin-friendly ladder - one verticle with open ended rungs, so you can climb the ladder with the fins on. "The Diver Down" out of Atlantic Beach NC has one, and I think I saw one in Cozumel this winter...
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:08 PM

My favorite is the fin-friendly ladder

I've used them. When you get to the top, you are on a rocking boat with fins on your feet. Not a good place to be. I prefer to take my fins off in the water.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:10 PM

I agree with you Walter. Trying to negotiate a ladder or even backwards on stairs with fins on is not an easy thing. Mine come off in the water.

#19 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:26 PM

Actually, the ladder Don's describing isn't the issue. It's easy to use. It's once you're off the ladder that you have a problem. I must admit, the Sea Dweller III has solved that problem with a seat on the platform.

DSSW,

WWW™

#20 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:53 PM

My fins come off before climbing any ladder, in any sea conditions. I use spring straps on my fins, so I can doff and don them very quickly in the water.

I've climbed a ladder in fins a couple of times, per captains directions, and boy did I hate the experiance. Those so called fin friendly ladders are great, as long as the rungs aren't staggered ( christmas tree style ). But then when you're back on the boat, with fins still on, the fun really begins, especially if the deck is the usual circus of returning divers and overtasked divemasters with good intentions. So regardless of sea conditions, and ladder style, my preferred method is swim to the ladder, remove fins, and start climbing.

#21 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:06 PM

I use spring straps on my fins, so I can doff and don them very quickly in the water.

Erin,

Educate me, what does using spring straps have to do with quickly putting on & taking off your fins?

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#22 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:18 PM

Yah, agree...
Fins off... those ladders are a pain too.. as you step on them the surge from the boat going up and down and then trying to flip them over onto the deck... well, I either throw them up while hanging on to the ladder and then ALWAYs climb with them off.. regardless of what the DM "Suggests" for the reasons Coo stated...
Just too much hassel...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#23 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

Walter... I used to use Twinjet fins, with adjustable straps. So the process was a lot slower putting them on. When taking them off, it was easy to use the quick release buckle, but then it was harder to keep a hold of them, unless you took the time to reassemble them.

When I got my drysuit, I changed to turtle fins. The stock straps are a rubber nightmare. I installed spring straps, and now putting them on, or removing them, is a very quick and easy one handed operation for me.

I notice whenever I dive with buddies using regular straps, I'm usually a lot quicker than they are.

Plus I like the fact that there's nothing to break or tangle on them.

#24 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:42 PM

I agree with you on the entire concept of quick release straps. Bad idea!\

I use Jet Fins. My straps break from time to time. AAMOF, I had a strap break the day I met Marvel. They average about 5 years. If I replace them every 5 years, it'll take about 80 years of diving before the springs have paid for themselves. My straps are extremely easy to pull on and off. To get any easier, they'd have to be automatic.

DSSW,

WWW™

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:42 PM

My favorite is the fin-friendly ladder - one verticle with open ended rungs, so you can climb the ladder with the fins on. "The Diver Down" out of Atlantic Beach NC has one, and I think I saw one in Cozumel this winter...

I can't speak for other boats however the fin ladder on the Diver Down has longer then average bars for your fins to slide in and out of. The ladder also is not fixed to the boat so will swing with the wave action allowing you to grasp the highest rung in the water and hold onto it while your feet naturally slide into the ladder rungs themselves. Once you've reached the back swim platform you have several options on this boat. If you can not stand up...then you simply kneel..aka the Wrinkles and WW method and the DM's will remove your fins for you. You then have two railings on each side of you to help pull yourself up to standing position (not to mention two strong DM's just in case you can't make it...we often dive with steel tanks and they are heavier then some people realize) Once standing you can easily work your way back to your seat/spot on the boat. If you reach the top of the ladder and can stand with fins on...then you have the two support bars on either side of you to pull your fins off and then return to your seat.

Of course the part about keeping reg, mask and all gear on is imperative as you never know when you could be thrown back into the water.

I have dove on boats that require you to take the fins off in water under the ladder and Walter's technique is the best but I personally prefer to have all gear on until on the boat and then start removing it. Once fully on the boat holding the support rails or whatever, I've never had trouble removing gear. I have had problems under water and many times have been on the ladder and washed back into the water...and VERY thankful to have all my gear on everytime it happens.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#26 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:47 PM

I fell off the ladder once myself. I had my fins on my wrists, put them on and started over. A 30 - 40 second delay.

DSSW,

WWW™

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:19 PM

I fell off the ladder once myself. I had my fins on my wrists, put them on and started over. A 30 - 40 second delay.

Let me get this straight...you fell off....put fins back on so you could swim to ladder to take fins off again and start all over? Hmm....in VERY rough seas not my idea of efficiency. Even in calm seas...not my idea of efficiency! :lol:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#28 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:25 PM

It's not inefficient when you factor in how much worse it world have been if I'd handed up my fins or if you factor in falling trying to walk with them on or if you factor in the % of times I've fallen off the ladder.

DSSW,

WWW™

#29 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:31 PM

They average about 5 years. If I replace them every 5 years, it'll take about 80 years of diving before the springs have paid for themselves.

Whoa! You must be talking about those $76 dollar Halcyon straps... I was talking about the $15 homemade ones, Walter.

#30 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

AAMOF, I had a strap break the day I met Marvel.

He remembered our first meeting!!!! :lol:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users