• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Exits in rough water.

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#46 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:08 PM

Even from a "one-line" answer?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#47 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:09 PM

Even from a "one-line" answer?

Barely.....:marvel:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#48 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 04 January 2005 - 02:11 PM

Cranes to lift fully kitted divers out of the water and deposit them on the deck are now commonplace in the UK. A boon if you're tech diving with loads of gear, but good even with a single tank when you've got a thick drysuit with all the weight that implies. These cranes have been introduced to help safety, not laziness, because the time you're most prone to DCI is on getting out of the water.

A few of the Dive Shops near me have diver lifts on the back of the boats. Alot of their customers are Tech divers, but its great even with a single tank.
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#49 fairfield59

fairfield59

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:102

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:21 PM

On my first trip after certifying this year, was on live-aboard to Bahamas. Ourlast dive was August 12 as Hurricane Charlie was heading for FLA. Exiting from our morning dive we were told to stay on tag line, with all gear until our turn to exit water. When it was my turn, took off fins prior to approach, pulled along line to get to boat. Get one hand and one foot on ladder, crew took fins, and exited with all other gear. No one had any problem in 6' swells...

Gerry

#50 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 04 January 2005 - 07:44 PM

On my first trip after certifying this year, was on live-aboard to Bahamas. Ourlast dive was August 12 as Hurricane Charlie was heading for FLA. Exiting from our morning dive we were told to stay on tag line, with all gear until our turn to exit water. When it was my turn, took off fins prior to approach, pulled along line to get to boat. Get one hand and one foot on ladder, crew took fins, and exited with all other gear. No one had any problem in 6' swells...

Gerry

Yes, but don't let go of the line once you've handed up your fins! I've seen that, and while usually it's funny occasionally it's far from. Important to check that the line is attached to the boat close to the ladder, so there's no possibility of having to let go of the line in order to grab the ladder.

#51 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 07:57 PM

I do not understand this concept. Why do otherwise intelligent people hand up their fins?

DSSW,

WWW™

#52 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:53 PM

I'm not defending it, Walter. I don't do it and I don't teach it, but it is nonetheless a widespread practice.

#53 HandyGeek

HandyGeek

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:00 PM

On my final OW dive, our dive master instructed us to hand fins to the attendant before exiting the water. How "should" it have been done then?

Jeff (neophyte)

#54 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:18 PM

On my final OW dive, our dive master instructed us to hand fins to the attendant before exiting the water. How "should" it have been done then?

My view, and others will have theirs, is that it is OK in calm conditions with no current or wind that will take you away from the boat. These are probably the conditions you trained in. When the seas are rougher, being carried away from the boat is a real and likely possibility if you let go and don't have fins on. Next time you're wearing scuba try taking your fins off and seeing how difficult it is to get anywhere. But when (as for me yesterday) conditions are really quite rough you need to maintain manouverability whilst waiting your turn to board. Several times the swell (maybe 6' high) threatened to blast me into the side of the boat, and I had to swim quite hard to stay away. In this particular case it was quite impossible to climb the ladder with fins on, so I took hold of the ladder, removed one fin, and held on to it while I got that foot well out of the water. Then, still hanging on to the first fin, I took off the other and got aboard. If I'd been thrown off the ladder I would have sunk below the boat, put my fins back on in safety, then tried again.

#55 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:24 PM

Personally I like fin ladders, makes it so much easier.

I have taken a shine to diving in Myrtle Beach and one operator "no name" requires you take your fins off before getting back on the boat, unless you can navigate their non fin friendly ladder which is difficult. Problem is if the water is really choppy you are hanging on handing them your weight belt and fins prior to getting on the boat.

No on the other hand the "good boat" Dolphin Dive Charter www.dolphindivecharter.com has a great fin ladder and although it might still be a bit dicey with rough water, it is much more secure.

Its odd how different the rules are on various boats. I guess you have to find one that you like and stick with it. It took me 4 years and 4 other operators before I found a charter in the Carolina's I felt was safe (and this doesn't just concern enteries).
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#56 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:02 PM

I was taught to dive by Walter, so you know my method of getting on the boat. I have, however, handed my fins to the attendant on the boat from time to time. Why? The weather and seas were nice and it just seemed like the thing to do at the time. I hate when the boat operations call for walking in your fins, either getting on or off the boat. I have never done it getting on the boat, I don't care what is instructed for boat operations. "He who walks in fins, eventually has flat nose."

Unlike Walter, I am very interested in trying spring straps, because I think they will be easier to get on and mostly off. I have a heck of a time, especially when taking my fins off with my right hand. I had surgery about 9 years ago and the Doctor went in between my ribs on the right side. Now, my right side cramps very easy when I reach down with my right arm and do anything that uses my side for pulling. Hurts like the dickens. I think that the spring straps will be easier. I just need to get the materials and put some together to see.

Edited by Dennis, 07 January 2005 - 07:12 AM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#57 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:15 PM

Dennis,

My Dive Rite Fins come with the spring strap. I have really come to enjoy the ease of getting fins on and off and the strap around my wrist to climb ladders. Others on the boat notice and ask me about that strap as they notice how easily it works out for me.

Good luck,

Brian
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#58 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:18 PM

I have never really been asked to walk in my fins. I find it easier getting off the boat to shuffle to where I need to be, but when getting on I do prefer the fin ladder then once on the dive platform I get my fins off with the assistance of those wonderful DM's.

I actually have a really hard time getting them off in the water especially if it is rough water.
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#59 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:42 PM

The safest method for exiting the water in rough seas is described here.

DSSW,

WWW™

#60 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:24 PM

The safest method for exiting the water in rough seas is described here.

Thanks for the great summary!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users