• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI dm requirments

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:19 PM

Just getting ready to take my DM classes in about 2 months - What are the times required to max on the 400 and 800 meter swims? Just wondering what I'm shooting for.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#2 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:38 PM

Just getting ready to take my DM classes in about 2 months - What are the times required to max on the 400 and 800 meter swims?   Just wondering what I'm shooting for.

Hawk-

Here are the times/points combinations for those 2 swims (assuming PADI):

400 yards:

under 6 min 5 points
6 to 8 min 4 points
8 to 10 min 3 points
10 to 12 min 2 points
more than 12 min 1 point
stopped incomplete

800 yards:

under 13 min 5 points
13 to 15 min 4 points
15 to 17 min 3 points
17 to 19 min 2 points
more than 19 min 1 point
stopped incomplete

Good luck!

Edited by WileEDiver, 15 February 2005 - 06:38 PM.

–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#3 Mishelle

Mishelle

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:41 PM

Good Luck Hawk! Keep us posted! :2cool:
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#4 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:15 PM

Thanks guys - yep it's PADI, and it looks like I got a couple of months to hit the pool. :2cool:
I'll let ya'll know how it comes out
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
WHO DAT!!!!

#5 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:19 PM

I'll let ya'll know how it comes out

Not just the pool but the whole program, right?
–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#6 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:36 PM

Good luck, man!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#7 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:17 PM

Good Luck.. Keep us posted... getting my DM is next on my list.. Started it years ago and allowed the nondiving stuff to get in the way....

Kick ass :wakawaka:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:45 AM

Good Luck.. Keep us posted... getting my DM is next on my list.. Started it years ago and allowed the nondiving stuff to get in the way....

Let me know when you're back in the swing with your DM program and if your Instructor is willing, I am happily inviting you to join us on any weekend we have classes up. You can recive credit that way and I'll send you back with signed off evaluations!! :welcome:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#9 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

Just getting ready to take my DM classes in about 2 months - What are the times required to max on the 400 and 800 meter swims? Just wondering what I'm shooting for.

Oh man, you have to swim????? I thought swimming was left to the YMCA and are you a guppy or a minnow:-P

I was just poking around the PADI site yesterday looking on what is required for DM, but their site isn't that informative, or easy to find the info you need. Does anybody have a thorough list of DM requirements? I figure if I am going to get more dives under my belt, might as well make the dives count for certification.

And good luck on getting your DM, let me know what to expect.

-Mike-

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:43 PM

I thought swimming was left to the YMCA

YMCA does generally require more swimming than most, but none of ours is timed.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 16 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

I was just poking around the PADI site yesterday looking on what is required for DM, but their site isn't that informative, or easy to find the info you need. Does anybody have a thorough list of DM requirements? I figure if I am going to get more dives under my belt, might as well make the dives count for certification.

And good luck on getting your DM, let me know what to expect.

-Mike-

All you need to know is found in this equation:

PADI = Scientology
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#12 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:52 PM

no times! I like that. I can swim for hours - just not fast.
Let's not get into the PADI bashing here - that's covered on a few other threads. Knowing my instructor, there won't be any corners cut. He usually demands above and beyond.
WHO DAT!!!!

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:05 PM

Knowing my instructor, there won't be any corners cut. He usually demands above and beyond.

I like to hear that! That's how we run it at our shop too! We can't afford to put out unprepared and I-met-the-minimum-requirements DMs up here in the PNW. Our conditions and necessary gear are too demanding for minimums and cutting corners doesn't exist in my world anyway.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

Mike, you'll likely not find a comprehensive list of requirements for the PADI DM program online because the program does get updated (so it's constantly changing) and there are actually two ways to move throught the program: internship style and classroom/scenario style. I personally only teach the program as an internship so the DMCs are working with real students. I do have an updated listing of requirements that I have prepared for my DMCs that I would be happy to share with you in an informational sense. Please feel free to PM me if you would like a copy.

Not just an SD member, but a friendly PADI instructor too! :o

#15 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:20 PM

Let's not get into the PADI bashing here - that's covered on a few other threads.

Let's just leave that stuff to other threads and answer real questions here.

<modified to avoid confusing Walter or miscommunication with incomplete sentences... :o >

Edited by Dive_Girl, 17 February 2005 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users