• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI dm requirments

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#46 outback

outback

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:40 PM

I always ask "why?" when someone says they want to become a DM/Instructor. As Walter touches on, so many people think it's a logical progression in becoming a better diver. It isn't. The route to that lies in technical training.

From the perspective of recently completing my DM and also starting to get into technical diving, I'd say that becoming a DM does improve your skill level in a number of ways. I'm thinking not so much of day to day stuff like bouyancy control (that's where tech training can really help) but in things like diver assessment, observation, water positioning, rescue skills. The teaching and leadership roles are also important. And by the end of the internship, my air consumption was way better.

I also found it tided up a few skill areas where I'd gotten sloppy - if the DM isn't doing it right, the students won't either. There will also be a difference between doing DM as a course or as an internship, as to which stretches you more. IMHO internship is the way to go.

Last November a group of us did he IANTD Deep Air and Advanced Nitrox classes. Most of us were OWSI or DM and they gave us a workout. Everyone was stretched somewhat. We did most of the dives in the pitch black murk of the petrified pecan forest 140' down in Lake Travis. Definitely nailed all of us for skills.

So I think there are two strands - tech is great for individual and buddy skills, DM is great for overall diving and leadership skills, so both have their place.

#47 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:42 AM

One week of my DMT in Pattaya down and boy and I'm tired. Just did the exams yesterday (aced them all) Doing skills and rescue tomorrow. I've got a good instructor who doesn't cut corners. You have to learn your stuff! (which is why I chose him)
Wish me luck on the stamina part. I got worn out just typing this :welcome:
I'll keep this thread updated, but I don't have computer time for much else.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#48 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:52 AM

I've been one requirement short of getting my DM since November. Hopefully I'll finish it up next week. The only thing I have left is the DM conducted program(i.e. refresher course). It will be nice just to finish at this point. Then I'm gonna go for OWSI.

#49 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:01 AM

One week of my DMT in Pattaya down and boy and I'm tired. Just did the exams yesterday (aced them all) Doing skills and rescue tomorrow. I've got a good instructor who doesn't cut corners. You have to learn your stuff! (which is why I chose him)
Wish me luck on the stamina part. I got worn out just typing this :welcome:
I'll keep this thread updated, but I don't have computer time for much else.

Way to go Hawk.. I am sure you'll find the stamina to keep going..
Mom moment: Remember to stay hydrated and eat.. gotta keep the blood sugars level.. and get enough rest..
Ok moments passed... :cool2:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#50 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

Divegirl,

I would also love to have the DM tips you mentioned earlier in this thread.

I would really appreciate any help you have to offer!

Thanks again,

Donna.

#51 REEF Diver

REEF Diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, working on DM
  • Logged Dives:573

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

Ooh, ooh, ooh, there are DM tips? Me too please!

-Valerie

#52 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:28 AM

Divegirl,

Thanks again,

Donna.

In regards to imperial vs. metric? Let me know what you are looking for and I'll be happy to share!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#53 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:31 AM

I was just poking around the PADI site yesterday looking on what is required for DM, but their site isn't that informative, or easy to find the info you need. Does anybody have a thorough list of DM requirements? I figure if I am going to get more dives under my belt, might as well make the dives count for certification.

Mike, you'll likely not find a comprehensive list of requirements for the PADI DM program online because the program does get updated (so it's constantly changing) and there are actually two ways to move throught the program: internship style and classroom/scenario style. I personally only teach the program as an internship so the DMCs are working with real students. I do have an updated listing of requirements that I have prepared for my DMCs that I would be happy to share with you in an informational sense. Please feel free to PM me if you would like a copy.

Not just an SD member, but a friendly PADI instructor too! :wakawaka:

This is the info I was making reference to. Do you still have the info you mentioned in this psot?

Donna.

#54 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:03 AM

Yes I do! I would be happy to email you my DM requirements sheet that I give out to my candidates to help them understand what is required in the program and so they can track their own progress. DM programs shouldn't be "I'll let you know what you need to do next when I think you need to know" (which my DM program was like :teeth: ) PM me your email address and I'll send it right out! :thankyou:

Edited by Dive_Girl, 04 May 2005 - 11:04 AM.

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#55 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:07 AM

DiveGirl,

I don't have PM priviledges here. Here's my email address:
texas_diver68@yahoo.com

Thanks!

#56 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, and I'll get that sent out to you. PM privileges are easily obtained by changing your membership to a Premiere Membership level. I highly recommend it, plus you get other goodies like discounts on trips!

#57 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:24 AM

You're too nice DiveGirl... I would have made them sweat the details on their own :thankyou:
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#58 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:25 AM

Thanks, and I'll get that sent out to you. PM privileges are easily obtained by changing your membership to a Premiere Membership level. I highly recommend it, plus you get other goodies like discounts on trips!

I'm considering joining at the higher level. Thanks in advance for the email with DM requirements!

Donna.

#59 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:28 AM

Any local dive shop in Austin ought to be able to provide that two you. :thankyou: :teeth:

#60 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:34 AM

There is no simplistic requirements (with skills, skill times, distances, lectures listed, exams...etc.) list that comes with the DM packet that I've ever seen. That's what I am talking about. A simple "one-stop-shopping" checklist. I would love to have a copy of what the Austin dive shops hand out to compare if I can make mine any better or more comprehensive! :thankyou:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users