• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Coed roommate on a dive trip?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#31 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:52 AM

(((((( Personally, I'm OK with sex & once I get to sleep ))))))

Dang girl....you sound like my ex wife !!!!
Oh?? Did I miss a word???? hehehe
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#32 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:57 AM

I have no issue with it. In fact, I may end up bunking with Walter on my upcoming trip. (seperate beds, sorry darling!)

I'm just "one of the guys" as far as my dive club buddies are concerned, so I've seen them in their tightly whities for a "brief" moment, it's no big deal.

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#33 happy2dive

happy2dive

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:27 AM

...so I've seen them in their tightly whities for a "brief" moment...

Most of you might freak out at how relaxed things are over here. Most gyms in Amsterdam have mixed saunas, one that I was a member of didn't even have separate dressing rooms or showers for the gym-sauna members. The current gym that I go to also has a great sauna area, mixed. Half of the time you're covered with a towel but most of the time under the showers, in the cold dip, in the steam room and in the sauna...where it's not practical to drag around a towel, nudity rules. In other words, once you get used to it, you take a rather clinical - Peter Greenaway type of attitude towards the human body and it’s various states of undress. So if I had to bunk with a male roommate and he forgets his towel, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. And I would expect that nonchalance to be reciprocated as well. Of course I'll take extra care in covering up if I know that nudity, accidental or not, offends the other person. So being one of the guys here in Amsterdam takes on a whole new definition...even have on occasion overcome the slightly more (mutually) embarrassing moments of running into colleagues and clients in a local sauna. Well the embarrassment passes in a moment and it's business as usual...it's worse to make a big deal out of it.
Having said that, not all guys and gals are comfortable with this setup and but then they just skip the after-training sauna bit or they cover up in swimwear and stick out in a very weird way among the rest of the sporters au naturel.

#34 gina

gina

Getting started

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:31 AM

I have shared a room many times with men and have had no problems. They seem to be good roomates so far. If it makes you uncomfortable discuss it with the people putting on the trip.

#35 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:32 AM

Hi Gina,

Please post an introduction so everyone can get to know you. We love meeting people.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#36 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:35 AM

Didi,

My sister is a bit of a prude. She lived in the Netherlands for a few years in the '80's. She got quite a shock on her first visit to the spa. LOL!

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#37 happy2dive

happy2dive

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:00 AM

Oh I've seen that happen....don't want to generalize but it's usually an American or British visitor who freaks out. I've seen both men and women flip when they realize that a sauna is mixed. Sometimes by coincidence, all the sauna goers are one gender or the other so the new visitor get's comfortable thinking it's not mixed...and they have the shock of their lives when a girl/guy wanders in. I hope your sister got over it. In Japan too, this is very unusual as well. But I got used to it and am glad I'm not bothered anymore. It makes life less complicated...also I think it provides people with a healthier idea of how the natural body should be. 99.99% of us in the sauna or on a nudist beach do not have top model bodies. So by seeing all the fat rolls, lumps, bumps, scrawny limbs, sizes and shapes, you learn to accept your own peculiarities as is instead of becoming pathologically obsessed about dieting to achieve an impossible top model figure.

#38 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:14 AM

Been there. Done that. No problems.

DL

Ditto
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#39 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:56 AM

Been there. Done that.  No problems.

DL

Ditto

Same here.

I actually have flashbacks to the movie "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" when I share a room with a bunch of guys... "Those aren't pillows!" :welcome:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#40 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:28 PM

I have shared a room many times with men and have had no problems. They seem to be good roomates so far. If it makes you uncomfortable discuss it with the people putting on the trip.

Hey Gina! As Walter said, you're new & you deserve you're own intro thread! :welcome:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#41 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:32 PM

I'm just "one of the guys" as far as my dive club buddies are concerned, so I've seen them in their tightly whities for a "brief" moment, it's no big deal.

Laura

no big deal??

you gotta find different buds, hon.

perhaps that "Dick Long" guy???? :welcome: :teeth: :dance:

*****just trying to give you some mod practice, sweetie!!!

#42 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:32 PM

.... It makes life less complicated...also I think it provides people with a healthier idea of how the natural body should be. 99.99% of us in the sauna or on a nudist beach do not have top model bodies. So by seeing all the fat rolls, lumps, bumps, scrawny limbs, sizes and shapes, you learn to accept your own peculiarities as is instead of becoming pathologically obsessed about dieting to achieve an impossible top model figure.

So true, so true. We in America have some really prudish ideas (dating back to the Puritans) about the human body & its exposure. Even though we know it is natural, we still tend to get very uncomfortable, yours truly included..... :welcome:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#43 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:28 PM

So Marvel, want some help working on those nudity issues?

DSSW,

WWW™

#44 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:01 PM

So Marvel, want some help working on those nudity issues?

:teeth: Walter!! My lands!! Well I.....I....OH! :twist:
Marvel

Posted Image

#45 happy2dive

happy2dive

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:41 PM

Even though we know it is natural, we still tend to get very uncomfortable, yours truly included..... :cool1:

But Marvel, if you come over to Amsterdam with Mischievous I thought all of us could have a girls day out at the local spa?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users