• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Coed roommate on a dive trip?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#16 ColoradoPilot

ColoradoPilot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:>300

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:44 PM

I would prefer a female (woman) roomie. Too many guys snore. On one trip to Coz about two years ago with a male co-worker, not only did we not share a room, we stayed at separate hotels.

Edited by ColoradoPilot, 23 April 2004 - 08:44 PM.

#17 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:31 AM

I got a moisturizer for ya .......

[awaiting moderator action, yet again]

Moderator action???

We have Moderators here??? :)

I'd better be careful! :D

Diverlady

watch out DL! he's been awaiting moderator intervention...ahem! action...for days now! :)

#18 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:33 AM

Moderator action???

We have Moderators here??? :)

I'd better be careful! :D

Diverlady

watch out DL! he's been awaiting moderator intervention...ahem! action...for days now! :)

But, the question is "which moderator?"

Personally, I would think that the chains would hurt a heck of a lot more than the whips.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#19 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:35 AM

i would assume...since i have no expertise here...that the pain level would depend on how they're used. i would think both equally effective in "moderating action".

#20 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:07 AM

Well since I started the other thread I'll throw in my 2 PSI. First off I don't have problems sharing a room. The problem I was debating was having to share the bathroom with another room which I thought would make it more of a problem. Walter suggested just setting up a knock rule which seemed like the best solution. As for sharing a room with members of the opposite sex I've done that many times. When traveling in NZ I stayed at many hostels and lots of the rooms there are coed and you don't have the added benefit of knowing the people in advance. When I was in OZ(Australia) I shared a room with 5 females. BTW that was the messiest room I've ever seen in my life. They were all there first and it was the only bed available. :welcome:

#21 sunlover

sunlover

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:366

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:18 PM

Thanks all for your input/opinions. I agree. Tom

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:29 PM

I'd suggest you stop using them....they seem to be too hard on your delicate hair...especially in the front!! 

Ouch!

WW: Yes those dang curling irons burn the heck out of you if you aren't careful! I promise next time to not leave them lying around for unsuspecting guy roomies to accidently burn themselves on them! That is assuming I ever get an unsuspecting guy roomie!!! LOL!!! :lol:

Although your complexion looks great...maybe you'll share your favorite cleansers and moisterizers with me!!!  :cool2:

WW: But does it have sunblock/sunscreen protection?????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#23 Socal_Scuba_Gal

Socal_Scuba_Gal

Getting started

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 27 April 2004 - 03:44 AM

I have no problems sharing a room with a male room mate. I have been on a number of dive boats where my State Room buddy was male.

I have also stayed at Diver Hotels where all rooms share a common bathroom and shower. No problems there. The hotel kept the bathrooms and the showers spotless.

The only time I would not share a room with a person, would be if they were a smoker. I am allergic to smoke, whether it be in the air, or in the clothes.

~Jan

#24 happy2dive

happy2dive

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:12 PM

I would prefer a female (woman) roomie. Too many guys snore. On one trip to Coz about two years ago with a male co-worker, not only did we not share a room, we stayed at separate hotels.

Uh...some women snore too. At least both of my ex partners complained about it, then they got used to it, then they got so accustomed to the background noise that they would complain about waking up when there was a silent pause in my snoring. I used to suffer from sleep apnea and it scared them out their wits to wake up next to a silent not-breathing not-moving body. I don't mind sharing a room with a male dive/travel buddy. I'll bring along extra earplugs. I'm wondering if this honest statement about my nocturnal breathing has marked me as a dealbreaker....

#25 happy2dive

happy2dive

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:18 PM

The only time I would not share a room with a person, would be if they were a smoker. I am allergic to smoke, whether it be in the air, or in the clothes.

~Jan

Good point forgot about that one. I'm also allergic to smoke in the air, in the clothes, in the hair etc. Did travel once with a smoker but he took care to smoke outside on the balcony with the door closed, kept his clothes at the other end of the room...far from my bed and not next to my clothes and showered before turning in. Gladly since we weren't romantically involved (an impossibility), I didn't have to kiss him. Smokers do taste and smell like ashtrays.

#26 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:20 PM

LOL! i'll still be your roommate, so no deal breaker. just wake me up in the morning since i'll have the earplugs in. :teeth: i snore as well when i'm extremely tired.

#27 happy2dive

happy2dive

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:41 PM

LOL! i'll still be your roommate, so no deal breaker. just wake me up in the morning since i'll have the earplugs in. :teeth: i snore as well when i'm extremely tired.

Sure we can share a room. I promise to wake you up in the morning so that we don't miss the diveboat. But will the others allow us to lodge in the same building? A snoring symphony can crash though the walls like Beethoven.

#28 mechanical31

mechanical31

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:07 PM

I agree with everyone. Coed is no problem. Just have respect for your roomie and its all good. Usually the conversation is even a little better. As for as snoring try breathe right strips they really do help. So does a pillow over the head.....for the person snoring that is. Smoking is not even a problem with a little courtesy.

#29 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:53 PM

As for as snoring try breathe right strips they really do help.

I shared a room with a guy on a trip last year to the Blue Hole. He warned me he snored but said he'd use Breathe-Rite strips. So I got to stay awake all night throwing pillows at a guy with a piece of tape on his nose.

But maybe they work for some people...
coppermaus

#30 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:58 PM

I agree with everyone. Coed is no problem. Just have respect for your roomie and its all good. Usually the conversation is even a little better. As for as snoring try breathe right strips they really do help. So does a pillow over the head.....for the person snoring that is. Smoking is not even a problem with a little courtesy.

Whew! Glad someone said that!! Personally, I'm OK with either sex & once I get to sleep, I never hear anything so snoring's not an issue for me (& I CATAGORICALLY deny snoring myself [fingers crossed behind back])

When I used to travel to tournaments I sometimes roomed with male friends & never found it to be a problem. Well, one time one guy got ideas but... funny story in retrospect. We we're out in Hollywood, California for a tournament & the motel messed up & we got a king instead of a double with no doubles left to move to. Now, I have to tell you- this guy is one of the UGLIEST men you'd ever want to meet- big buck teeth, skinny as a beanpole, big nose, weak chin, bald on top with wispy white hair on the sides, little pot belly- if I could show you his picture you'd understand but I won't. Enterprising, curious people could find it if they looked on the internet a little...
So, gentleman's agreement & all that. Went to sleep as far over on my side as I could get &, as I said, I sleep very soundly. Morning comes & I hear "Marvel, Marvel" very softly spoken. I open my eyes & his face is about 5 inches from mine, if that far. You never saw anyone jump out of bed so fast! I actually jumped sideways to get as far away as possible, as quickly as possible! Well, he jumped 3 feet back & immediately started apologizing all over the place....Talk about scary!!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users