• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Gender Roles

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#106 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:00 PM

Everyone has different backgrounds, and compromise, communication and common sense is the answer. One thing I do take issue with is the need to tell a man what needs to be done. When it comes to "emotional maintenance" as you say, women do need to let a man know what her needs are. When it comes to physical chores, he needs to figure that out on his own. A gentle nudge is not a problem, but it should not be necessary all the time. It's hard to be sexually attracted to a man that you have to be a mother to. I know that sounds harsh, and I apologize. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I think the bottom line is that men and women both can be taught, and we all have a lot to learn.

I'll disagree somewhat here. You're right in saying communication is important, but why does that only apply to emotional needs? There may be so many things that need to be done I can't keep track of them, and yes, I may not even recognize it as something that needs attention because men are pigs. So I have no problem with a "honey-do" list and a time table that's open for negotiation if there's a conflict. That's not mothering, it's just being organized and communicating. An example of being "mothered" would be trying to attach specific rewards for getting them done, or the opposite, punishment for not doing them. That would make me feel very insulted and angry.

Yes, there are some things that you shouldn't have to ask, like the mowing the lawn and taking out garbage. Those are obvious because grass gets long and garbage stinks. But once in a great while I'll forget to put the can out on the curb for pickup. There's a schedule for that and I wouldn't mind being reminded.

BTW, taking the car to the car wash is environmentally friendlier than washing it yourself and keeps the underwater environment cleaner. What is a few dollars and a few minutes at a car wash compared to the hundreds of dollars and time we spend diving? If you must wash the car at home, do it over grass so that it will filter out the crud.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#107 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

Another quick thought... for both men and women. It's all in the kiss. If they don't take the time to submerge themselves completely within every kiss and savor the moment as it burns feverishly in their minds... kick 'em to the curb.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a passionate, healthy guy, but I think there's way too much emphasis on sex and physical attraction.

The only time I fell in love with a gal was because she was a very sweet, gentle soul who treated me with a lot of kindness and made me feel valued as a person. She wasn't really "pretty" by most standards, just plain looking. She was also big, not fat, but tall and big-boned for a gal. Sex was nowhere in the picture, not even romance, we were just roommates, so the "kiss" had nothing to do with it. It never progressed that far, but even if it did and she wasn't a good kisser, I'm a good teacher. Call me old-fashioned, but I want to still be in love with someone when we're both just physical shells.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#108 rkohler1

rkohler1

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

The answer is somewhere in here.

MEN VS WOMEN:

1.NAMES
If Laurie, Linda, Elizabeth and Barbara go out for lunch, they will call each other Laurie, Linda, Elizabeth and Barbara.
If Mark, Chris, Eric and Tom go out, they will affectionately refer to each other as Fat Boy, Godzilla, Peanut-Head and Scrappy.

2.EATING OUT
When the bill arrives, Mark, Chris, Eric and Tom will each throw in $20, even though it's only for $32.50. None of them will have anything smaller and none will actually admit they want change back.
When the women get their bill, out come the pocket calculators and change purses.

3.MONEY
A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.
A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.

4.BATHROOMS
A man has five items in his bathroom: a toothbrush, shaving cream, razor, a bar of soap, and a towel from the Marriott.
The average number of items in the typical woman's bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to identify most of these items.

5.ARGUMENTS
A woman has the last word in any argument.
Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

6.CATS
Women love cats.
Men say they love cats, but when women aren't looking, men kick cats.

7.FUTURE
A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.

8.MARRIAGE
A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't.
A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change and she
does.

9.DRESSING UP
A woman will dress up to go shopping, water the plants, empty the garbage, answer the phone, read a book, and get the mail.
A man will dress up for weddings and funerals.

10.OFFSPRING
Ah, children. A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and romances, best friends, favorite foods, secret fears and hopes and dreams.
A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.

11.THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Any married man should forget his mistakes.

There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.
Rick
USAF (Ret.)
------------

"We've got a blind date with Destiny - and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
- The Shoveller (Mystery Men)

When in doubt, just call 1-800-829-0433

#109 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

:teeth: I love this thread!

Ladies I have read your posts about how you like doors opened for you and how you expect a gentleman to treat you.

Well I am the one who always opens doors, Has the season tickets for Thornton Winery jazz concerts, I pay for the wines, brunches, lunches, dinners, weekend holidays and even a few dive trips.

Now when was the last time a lady sent me a Thank You note or a e-mail thanking me, bought me a Brunch, lunch, dinner or a bottle of wine?..........Even a verbal Thank You........or maybe fixing a Dinner and inviting me over?.............I must be getting old i cannot even remember.

So last year i thought this out (after i took someone on a $10,000 dive vacation)...........and It was Dating or adding an additional Scuba Diving trip or two to my Calendar..........let me think again about this.......Scuba Diving :teeth:

Ladies i know you are thinking this is an isolated incident or two.....Wrong. I have been single most of my life and dated a lot of women and have found very few to be considerate and gracious!

But who knows maybe there is someone out there?
You must endeavor to pursue!

#110 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

Now when was the last time a lady sent me a Thank You note or a e-mail thanking me, bought me a Brunch, lunch, dinner or a bottle of wine?..........Even a verbal Thank You........or maybe fixing a Dinner and inviting me over?.............I must be getting old i cannot even remember.

Scott...living in a 'me' oriented cities is certainly rough on a true gentleman...its an issue in Dallas and other cities...gosh don't get me started!

And I think its safe to say that the quality of people you've met on SD is drastically different than the tale of atrocity that you told me about the gal you took to Hawaii.

But I also know several women who were VERY appreciative of your generosity, your kindness and your company on a recent dive trip! So yes....things can get better....and pls do see a doctor immediately (or talk to me about improving your memory via your health :teeth:) cuz it was only a few months ago that you met a number of wonderful women...all of whom met your criteria for respectful women! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#111 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:10 PM

Scott...living in a 'me' oriented cities is certainly rough on a true gentleman...its an issue in Dallas and other cities...gosh don't get me started!

And I think its safe to say that the quality of people you've met on SD is drastically different than the tale of atrocity that you told me about the gal you took to Hawaii.

But I also know several women who were VERY appreciative of your generosity, your kindness and your company on a recent dive trip! So yes....things can get better....and pls do see a doctor immediately (or talk to me about improving your memory via your health ) cuz it was only a few months ago that you met a number of wonderful women...all of whom met your criteria for respectful women!

:teeth: Kamala,

I am not talking about female aquaintances or casual friends......gosh i meet a lot of women when I travel and make freindships.

But i am talking about something a little more along the lines of a relationship or the begining of one, a lot is expected and little or nothing is appreciated.

#112 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:38 PM

Scott -

That just plain sucks. I am sorry that you have had the unfortunate experiences that you have had with past relationships. I also feel that you would be doing yourself a disservice to write off the entire female population as result of those experiences.
I myself have experienced a long string of ugly relationships. I have been with total psychos, alcholics, abusive idiots, lazy bums who could not hold a job. I went for a year and half sleeping fulling dressed with a baseball bat next to my bed because I never knew when he was going to get drunk and come breaking into my house in the middle of the night. I was on a first name basis with just about every cop in the city where I lived. However, I know that these jerks are not representative of the entire male population, and I will carry no baggage into the next relationship.
So on behalf of all the stupid women that you have encountered, I would like to say Thank You for your generosity. Don't give up hope, you will one day find that person who appreciates all that you do.

#113 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm a passionate, healthy guy, but I think there's way too much emphasis on sex and physical attraction.

You know Brinybay, thats the awesome thing about an open forum like this... we can politely agree to disagree.
When I am speaking, I am clearly stating my opinions and my needs, but they won't fit everyone else, that's for sure. For me, life is so precious and so short, I don't want to waste a lot of time with the wrong person and the physical part of a relationship, particularly while we are both very young, is very important. That's not to say that it is the primary factor by any means, but a mutual physical attraction is a definite prerequisite. In my earlier reference to "the kiss" I was speaking to the ladies and stating that they (meaning the ladies) should expect an attentive partner, that's all. Let's face it, in the overall picture, men are much more likely to slack off when it comes to attentiveness... a sad but true fact. It's not really the mastery of the kiss that is so important as it is the sincerity and heart that goes into it. So yes, teaching a willing student would be a wonderful way to start a relationship, as you pointed out. I guess that I wasn't really expecting too many ladies that I happen to meet to be inexperienced in that respect, but it certainly could happen... and even if it doesn't, I'm always willing to try new things... :clapping: I have many, many female friends who I love dearly as well, but I'm not "in" love with them, but to me that's a different kind of love.
Thanks for the tip about the carwash too... I think it is so awesome that so many people here are so incredibly conscious of such things!

Scott, there is definitely someone out there for you and I must second WW's notion that I personally saw a few of them take a shining to you in Coz (think I even have a picture or two)... and they were all ladies down there. Whatever you do though, don't ever change who you are... that would only allow the worse of side of people to prevail. Remember, no matter what people try to do to you on the outside, they can never defeat you on the inside unless you let them. Keep the faith bro'!
On a side note, if you take me to Hawaii, I promise to say "Thanks!" every day for a whole year!!! Heck, I'll even spring for the diving while we're there! :lmao:

SP... way to lose the baggage girl... you rock! :lmao:

rkohler1... too funny! :lmao:

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#114 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:58 PM

Rick,
I am still laughing from you post.. You are too funny.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#115 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

Rick, my dear you keep us laughing..... I swear between you and Doug we don't stand a chance!!!
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#116 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

Scott -

That just plain sucks.  I am sorry that you have had the unfortunate experiences that you have had with past relationships.  I also feel that you would be doing yourself a disservice to write off the entire female population as result of those experiences.
I myself have experienced a long string of ugly relationships.  I have been with total psychos, alcholics, abusive idiots, lazy bums who could not hold a job.  I went for a year and half sleeping fulling dressed with a baseball bat next to my bed because I never knew when he was going to get drunk and come breaking into my house in the middle of the night.  I was on a first name basis with just about every cop in the city where I lived.  However, I know that these jerks are not representative of the entire male population, and I will carry no baggage into the next relationship.
So on behalf of all the stupid women that you have encountered, I would like to say Thank You for your generosity.  Don't give up hope, you will one day find that person who appreciates all that you do.

Sandy,

That sounds scary. Usually psychos do not make it past the first 30 minutes with me and ladies that have a problem with liquor.....I do waste my time....But I am talking about gold digging, biological clock ticking, inconsiderate women.

I have not given up on anything. I just do not chase.......If someone is interested in me they will let me know.........unfortunately that does not happen as much when you get older. But until it does.......I'm diving! and I'm smiling!

#117 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:55 PM

Scott,

Please do take heart. We are not all selfish creatures who have forgotten the basics that we learned in kindergarden. :lmao: Myself, I always thanked guys for dinners, flowers, wine, etc. Not just at the time they are received, but I would also call the next day or send an email. Now that I am actually trying out the relationship world again (sooooo scary to me but going so well - of course, I am probably cursing myself by saying this) I still remember to thank for things done and given since nothing should be "expected" or taken for granted. When flowers arrive at work, a phone call is made instantly, no matter what I am doing. When a dinner is bought, I thank and even try to reciprocate by buying the next time (he is a bit of a traditionalist so he doesn't let that happen too often, but I try) and even when he does something like make me coffee or walks my dog, I thank him. Of course, I expect (and get) the same courtesy from him. It is just basic politeness! :clapping: :lmao:

Michelle

#118 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:51 PM

Scott,

Please do take heart.  We are not all selfish creatures who have forgotten the basics that we learned in kindergarden. :lmao: Myself, I always thanked guys for dinners, flowers, wine, etc.  Not just at the time they are received, but I would also call the next day or send an email.  Now that I am actually trying out the relationship world again (sooooo scary to me but going so well - of course, I am probably cursing myself by saying this) I still remember to thank for things done and given since nothing should be "expected" or taken for granted.  When flowers arrive at work, a phone call is made instantly, no matter what I am doing.  When a dinner is bought, I thank and even try to reciprocate by buying the next time (he is a bit of a traditionalist so he doesn't let that happen too often, but I try) and even when he does something like make me coffee or walks my dog, I thank him.  Of course, I expect (and get) the same courtesy from him.  It is just basic politeness! :clapping:  :lmao:

Michelle

Michelle,

I do realize not all women are selfish creatures. But in the last few years I have met many more that are than not of the ladies i date. It could be the circle of events I am involved in, or the ladies I am attracted too.

Just to give you a perfect example. Chris Botti was in concert a couple of weeks ago at the winery that I have season tickets too. And in a couple of weeks Boney James will be there. Since I am one of the orginal season ticket holders (14 years) and not bragging I have the best seat(s) at the venue. Well I had three ladies that came up to me one before the concert, one at intermission, and one at the end. Two of the ladies i had dated in past years. Well they almost all said the same thing that i was a long lost friend etc. Talked for a bit......then here it comes..... "do you have an extra seat for the Boney James concert?" LOL

My response was simple, buy a ticket, let me know and i will call the head of the Champagne Jazz and ask her to set aside a seat for you.

Guess what? Have not heard from one of them! LOL

So i just really do not care anymore if a relationship happens fine if not I'll be diving regardless!

#119 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

Scott...it must be the water where you live...I suggest you head East.... :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#120 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

The answer is somewhere in here.

MEN VS WOMEN:

Rick --

I LOVE IT! :cool1: I think if not entirely true, then most of us can identify with some of the distinctions you made very well here! LOL! :diver:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users