• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Online dating

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#16 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:55 AM

Well I to have tried the "Internet Dating". I didn't have any luck. No real stories to tell. I did find out that the ladies get tons of emails. And yes a lot of them are from "Married" men. I can tell you that I got very few emails and most of them were from people I was not very interested in or from Russian ladies!?! :diver:

That said, I have made many friends online. Some of my best friends have been made in forums like this one.

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#17 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

I've gotten more responses from married men and those guys who are way younger than me and think that I am desperate to gt laid... NOT!!!!

I have made some friends off the online dating thing, and made lots of good friends off of fourms like this one.

But there are just as many less than ideal men out there as there are less than ideal women.

and Matt can I have that VISA you were talking about I want a new wetsuit.... :)

Most guys don't get my humor anyway so I don't put it out there anymore. I have tried funny ads, serious ads, and somewhat in between. Franky I think I'd have better luck lurking in the parking lot of the dive shop and thumping one on the head and dragging him back to my place!!!!

I'm either to intelligent, or to scarcastic for most folks.. but I am glad that ya'll love me!!!!!!!!!!!! :diver: :D :dance: :dance:
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#18 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:03 PM

I've gotten more responses from married men and those guys who are way younger than me and think that I am desperate to gt laid... NOT!!!!

I have made some friends off the online dating thing, and made lots of good friends off of fourms like this one.

But there are just as many less than ideal men out there as there are less than ideal women.

and Matt can I have that VISA you were talking about I want a new wetsuit.... :)

Most guys don't get my humor anyway so I don't put it out there anymore. I have tried funny ads, serious ads, and somewhat in between. Franky I think I'd have better luck lurking in the parking lot of the dive shop and thumping one on the head and dragging him back to my place!!!!

I'm either to intelligent, or to scarcastic for most folks.. but I am glad that ya'll love me!!!!!!!!!!!! :welcome: :) :) :dance:

I'm gonna be driving thru Nashville soon, wanna meet with frying pan in hand? :lmao:

#19 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

I will 2nd that notion of reverse-Midas, having the same luck.

No photo = be afraid, Be Very Afraid!

Just let em meet me on the dive boat, happy hour, picnic, whateverrr! so I can just meet em in person and get the vibes first.

You can't trust the photos either. It's not uncommon for the pic to be 10-15 years out of date.

I'm totally with you on the meet via a mutual activity approach.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#20 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:04 PM

I can tell you that I got very few emails and most of them were from people I was not very interested in or from Russian ladies!?! :cool1:

:) Must have been the same Russian honey that contacted me once. 20 something, very sexy blonde. I pointed out the age difference, she said that wasn't important to her. Yeah, right, pull the other leg, it has bells on it!

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#21 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:17 PM

I know a guy that married one, had a kid, she divorced him, got the green card, alimony , the whole nine yards. Now that's what I call, American Ingenuity!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#22 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:28 AM

Just let em meet me on the dive boat, happy hour, picnic, whateverrr!  so I can just meet em in person and get the vibes first.

You can't trust the photos either. It's not uncommon for the pic to be 10-15 years out of date.

Wow, 15 years out of date, I'll be looking at pics of 13 year olds if they are my age, LOL. I'm just curious if they are really 10-15 years out of date??? That would mean the girl would need to sift through printed photographs and scan one it, wearing that rediculous late 80's/ealry 90's hairstyle and clothing, hehe. I have good digital photos that are 2-3 years old that I use, but I basically look the same. I also have newer photos; do you expect the girls to have pictures not older than 6 months old? What is too old for a picture online? Meet through a mutual activity...I haven't met anyone while masturbating, diving or drinking in a bar, so I guess that leaves one other mutual activity, searching online dating services.

-Mike-

#23 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:53 AM

Meet through a mutual activity...I haven't met anyone while masturbating, diving or drinking in a bar, so I guess that leaves one other mutual activity, searching online dating services.

I met a girl once while masturbating.....

Okay, not really, but I'll never pass up an opportunity for a joke -- even if I piggy-back on someone else's joke (as I am here) or especially if Walter censors it (which he is sure to do here). <It's not political, Mike and it doesn't violate any other rules either, why would I censor it? - WWW>

#24 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:57 AM

Just let em meet me on the dive boat, happy hour, picnic, whateverrr!  so I can just meet em in person and get the vibes first.

Wow, 15 years out of date, I'll be looking at pics of 13 year olds if they are my age, LOL. I'm just curious if they are really 10-15 years out of date??? That would mean the girl would need to sift through printed photographs and scan one it, wearing that rediculous late 80's/ealry 90's hairstyle and clothing, hehe. I have good digital photos that are 2-3 years old that I use, but I basically look the same. I also have newer photos; do you expect the girls to have pictures not older than 6 months old? What is too old for a picture online? Meet through a mutual activity...I haven't met anyone while masturbating, diving or drinking in a bar, so I guess that leaves one other mutual activity, searching online dating services.

-Mike-

Actually, until I started diving, I was pretty camera shy. So for me to have a photo of myself that my ex (not at the time the photo was taken, LOL) girlfriend had not forced me into posing for was rare.

That is all right, because my hairstyle and such haven't changed since I got out of the service in 1992 and I still don't look that much older. I still wear my hair in a just past regulation (minor rebellion to the Navy) hair cut.

To find a photo of me smiling (without it being forced), you have to look at my more recent diving photos.

I took myself off the market entirely due to the apparent lack of ladies in the area that I could get to know gradually. I am just not into getting hurt anymore (or at least right now). So, I figured that I would do both the ladies and myself a favor and declare myself ineligible for while. As the general area where I live is pretty deviod of eligible female divers, my odds are low of meeting a diver here... Hence the fact that I don't have a diver's only rule. If the right woman comes along and is meant for me in such an obvious way that I can't resist... I'll come out of exile.

Until then, I will keep my job that I have 12 yrs into and my tri-mix cert that I will have by the end of the summer. That will keep me entertained enough.

On the topic, I tried online dating myself. It worked a little too well as I was either in a feast (one weekend, I had three "job interviews") or famine (no responses for months). That first date is just too much pressure if you don't meet already through mutual activity for my taste. I would rather wait for Ms. Right to be presented to me by my higher power. Then, I will know that she is truly "Ms. Right." For all I know, it could be someone that I already know that I just wasn't ready for earlier in life. But, it is safer to wait for her than to go out and get hurt again by trying to make up my higher power's mind before it is the right time and place.

I can plan a dive. I can't plan for a relationship. :)
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#25 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:20 AM

I would rather wait for Ms. Right to be presented to me by my higher power. Then, I will know that she is truly "Ms. Right." For all I know, it could be someone that I already know that I just wasn't ready for earlier in life. But, it is safer to wait for her than to go out and get hurt again by trying to make up my higher power's mind before it is the right time and place.

To each his own, but a quote usually used in business contexts seems pretty appropriate here:

"All things come to he who waits, so long as he who waits works like hell while he waits."

Seems to me that if all you do is wait, the only thing you're gonna get is older. But that's just my two worthless pennies.

#26 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:16 AM

Well I to have tried the "Internet Dating". I didn't have any luck. No real stories to tell. I did find out that the ladies get tons of emails. And yes a lot of them are from "Married" men. I can tell you that I got very few emails and most of them were from people I was not very interested in or from Russian ladies!?! :wakawaka:

That said, I have made many friends online. Some of my best friends have been made in forums like this one.

Scott

:lam:

Don't take it personally. I know in the three months I was on, I initiated about 5 messages in the first two days, but never one after that. I replied to everyone. Many times it was a "Thanks you, but No, as I said in my profile I don't like facial hair" Between that and continuing messages with possibilities I was too busy.

I did find a great guy online, and what's funny is that he has facial hair. Since I don't talk to strangers, and he doesn't dive, we never would have met otherwise. Although we had been a coin toss away from going to the same college at the same time.

Back to the original topic. I can't see prisoners being a big threat to online dating. That's something you could find out just by 'googling'.

#27 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:33 AM

I would rather wait for Ms. Right to be presented to me by my higher power.  Then, I will know that she is truly "Ms. Right."  For all I know, it could be someone that I already know that I just wasn't ready for earlier in life.  But, it is safer to wait for her than to go out and get hurt again by trying to make up my higher power's mind before it is the right time and place.

To each his own, but a quote usually used in business contexts seems pretty appropriate here:

"All things come to he who waits, so long as he who waits works like hell while he waits."

Seems to me that if all you do is wait, the only thing you're gonna get is older. But that's just my two worthless pennies.

Dude,

You haven't seen my OT totals at work since the end of January, then! LOL

I'll be the richest man in the graveyard at this rate.

Working on yourself (in hopes of improvement to become ready for a relationship) is something best done without having a lady in your life that needs/deserves attention as well. And it also doesn't happen when you are logging 150-200 hrs. of overtime in the first four months out of the year. I haven't worked this many hours since I was on submarines and underway. It doesn't make for the best of dispositions on some days and as I said... If I am with someone, they deserve better than that.

As I said, I tried online dating. After my last misadventure, I decided that I was doing something wrong as the nearest one that responded to me lived an hour and half away and things just weren't going to work. Relationships are something that if someone wants it too bad, they will screw up.

Getting older at this stage is not a bad thing :wakawaka: . I am not an old man... just old enough to be past a practical age for having children (who wants to be trying to pay Junior's way through college when they should be retiring). That means that the basic need for a relationship is not there at this point (a family). And to be honest, I am not enough of a homebody to be a great husband/father. Spending time around the house is not my idea of a good time. Home is a place to crash when I come home from work or a dive trip :diver: .

Also, I love children. It tears a piece right out of me when I have to become just another one of mom's ex-boyfriends that didn't work out and got their hopes up. One look at my website shows the daughter of one of my ex's. That ex and I still get along, but I never get to see Madelynn anymore. Too bad her father didn't show her as much caring as she showed me :dance: .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#28 jamesser

jamesser

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:11 AM

OK OK ok ..... I'm not even gonna touch on this subject. I'm sorry I find, or as I have been blamed, I make, physcos from any venue. So all I will do here is repeat the words of out Founder "didn't know we lost her"

We are not a dating site!!!!!! :wakawaka:

Everyone enjoy.

James

#29 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Wow, 15 years out of date, I'll be looking at pics of 13 year olds if they are my age, LOL. I'm just curious if they are really 10-15 years out of date???

Yes, in my experiences, in some cases they obviously were, but keep in mind I'm over 50, so it's not much of a problem for middle-agers to pull out a pic taken in their 30s and try to pass it off, we don't need to dig very far. Hell, I have a pic taken of me in my buffed, slim prime age of 27 sitting right here in front of me. It's not unusual to have one handy.

#30 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

We are not a dating site!!!!!!    :wakawaka:

Everyone enjoy.

James

Yes, that is true of the SD.com in general, but the subject area that we are posting in is called "Topics Related to being SINGLE!" The topic discription reads thus (emphasis mine):

"Want to discuss meeting other single divers? How about travel related issues pertaining to singles? Or relationship issues? Any topic specifically related to singles or married can be discussed in this forum. "

Dude, I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't like the subject, then don't read it or at least don't respond! It's obviously a subject of interest to a lot of people here.

Edited by Brinybay, 04 May 2005 - 10:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users