• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Online dating

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#31 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:04 AM

I also have newer photos; do you expect the girls to have pictures not older than 6 months old? What is too old for a picture online? Meet through a mutual activity...I haven't met anyone while masturbating, diving or drinking in a bar, so I guess that leaves one other mutual activity, searching online dating services.

-Mike-

That would be nice, depending on what's happened in the last 6 months. Good question, how old is too old for a pic? I think that really pertains more to us middle-age folks. At 35, I could pretty much post a pic taken of me at age 28 and still be a fairly accurate representation. But I would not want to see a picture of a middle-aged lady that was taken 7 years ago, nor would I post one taken of me that long ago.

Personaly, I don't consder online dating a "mutual activity" in the context that I use it. By mutual activity I meant something you go out and do and meet others in person, such as a recreational activity (including diving), or perhaps a volunteer service of some sort, another hobby, those sort of things.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#32 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:11 PM

I can tell you that I got very few emails and most of them were from people I was not very interested in or from Russian ladies!?!  :thankyou:

:dance: Must have been the same Russian honey that contacted me once. 20 something, very sexy blonde. I pointed out the age difference, she said that wasn't important to her. Yeah, right, pull the other leg, it has bells on it!

Yep. Probably was one. I would have the exact same problem as you pointed out. Heck if she was that age I'm freaking old enough to be her dad!! :taz:

I know a guy that married one, had a kid, she divorced him, got the green card, alimony , the whole nine yards. Now that's what I call, American Ingenuity!!!

I've heard of that happening as well. That would be just ONE of my major concerns in the whole "Russian Wife" thing.

Don't take it personally. I know in the three months I was on, I initiated about 5 messages in the first two days, but never one after that. I replied to everyone. Many times it was a "Thanks you, but No, as I said in my profile I don't like facial hair" Between that and continuing messages with possibilities I was too busy.

I did find a great guy online, and what's funny is that he has facial hair. Since I don't talk to strangers, and he doesn't dive, we never would have met otherwise. Although we had been a coin toss away from going to the same college at the same time.

Back to the original topic. I can't see prisoners being a big threat to online dating. That's something you could find out just by 'googling'.

Really I don't, I found it a bit frustrating. I went out on a few dates with gals I've met that way, but nothing to write home (or S.D.) about. I'm much better when I meet someone in person then over the internet.

I did have a girl friend once that was very upset because I had a profile on Yahoo Personals. One of her girlfriends found it and told her. Boy did I hear about it :teeth:. The sad part was I had totally forgot about the dang thing until she brought it up. Needless to say, she and I had other issues and we broke up. I just don't use them anymore (but think I do have a yahoo personals profile I think :o).

Scott
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#33 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

I did have a girl friend once that was very upset because I had a profile on Yahoo Personals. One of her girlfriends found it and told her. Boy did I hear about it :thankyou:. The sad part was I had totally forgot about the dang thing until she brought it up. Needless to say, she and I had other issues and we broke up. I just don't use them anymore (but think I do have a yahoo personals profile I think :teeth:).

Yep, it's probably still out there. I had setup a profile before I found out why yahoo was a bad idea. I had to report that Mastercard as stolen to get them to stop billing me. They were more unflushable than AOL. That was over 1.5 years ago, and I still get 'Your Yahoo Matches' emails.

If I were to try the online again, I'd probably do that one with the really long form. Although I'm not sure what my preference for Fast Restaurants has to do with finding the 'love of my life'

#34 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

f I were to try the online again, I'd probably do that one with the really long form. Although I'm not sure what my preference for Fast Restaurants has to do with finding the 'love of my life'

I did that eharmony long form deal. Complete waste of time and money. Cancelled it as within three months. All I got was replies from people in places like Maine or Nova Scotia.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#35 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:49 PM

I never made it past the fast food section of the form. I had thought the length of the form would eliminate most of the married people. Maybe it eliminated too many.

#36 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:52 PM

I never made it past the fast food section of the form. I had thought the length of the form would eliminate most of the married people. Maybe it eliminated too many.

Yeah that could be. I started trying to answer that questionair once.. I think you got further then I did. UGH!

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#37 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:44 PM

Hey ladies, this guy's available! Meow!

That explains the catlike tattoos that cover his face and body, the surgery that split his lip and the implants he had placed in his forehead to shape his face more like that of an animal. It's why he has metal studs embedded in his upper lip, where he can put in his whiskers when he wants.

The rest of the story:

http://www.signonsan...999-7m4cat.html

#38 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:01 PM

Ok Mike that's just not right!!!!!
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#39 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

Ye be gettin' very close to bestiality, lad. Beware the pirate censors.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#40 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:29 PM

That explains the catlike tattoos that cover his face and body, the surgery that split his lip and the implants he had placed in his forehead to shape his face more like that of an animal. It's why he has metal studs embedded in his upper lip, where he can put in his whiskers when he wants.

The rest of the story:

I think I met this cats sister on the internet!!! :anna:

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#41 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

The rest of the story:

I think I met this cats sister on the internet!!! :anna:

DBD

I saw him once on Penn and Tellers BullS*** show. He is one strange dude!!

Scott

:lam:
- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#42 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

I also have newer photos; do you expect the girls to have pictures not older than 6 months old? What is too old for a picture online? Meet through a mutual activity...I haven't met anyone while masturbating, diving or drinking in a bar, so I guess that leaves one other mutual activity, searching online dating services.

-Mike-

That would be nice, depending on what's happened in the last 6 months. Good question, how old is too old for a pic? I think that really pertains more to us middle-age folks. At 35, I could pretty much post a pic taken of me at age 28 and still be a fairly accurate representation. But I would not want to see a picture of a middle-aged lady that was taken 7 years ago, nor would I post one taken of me that long ago.

Personaly, I don't consder online dating a "mutual activity" in the context that I use it. By mutual activity I meant something you go out and do and meet others in person, such as a recreational activity (including diving), or perhaps a volunteer service of some sort, another hobby, those sort of things.

I was thinking of "online dating" being a psuedo activity since both people are online doing the same thing at once together, yet seperated, just having a little play on words to go along with the "masturbation" being a single handed sport and going to a bar, could be mutual, but most people go by themselves and I believe it was George Thorogood said it best "I drink alone"

In all seriousness, I think online dating can be a good avenue to meet new people. One can only do so many activities where they can meet someone. At least with people who are serious about online dating, you can read profiles, learn a little about someone and plan to meet for some mutual activities.

We live busy lifestyles and someone like myself, who is traveling for work and when not traveling working from home, online is a good way to meet someone. I don't see why people knock it, how is it any different than meeting a stranger in a grocery store, the library or a pub? We don't know them from Adam when we first meet, so who says that person isn't an ex-con (relating to how prisoners are doing online dating from jail)?

-Mike-

#43 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:19 PM

Is on line dating really any worse than your friends fixing you up with blind dates????

The date has a really good personality?? Who hasn't heard that one???

I think that I'd make a few of the guys that I have been fixed up with wish they were blind, and I've been fixed up with a few that I wish that I was blind...

Edited by steelemagnolia6, 04 May 2005 - 06:20 PM.

Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#44 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:22 PM

Is on line dating really any worse than your firends fixing you up with blind dates????

The date has a really good personality?? Who hasn't heard that one???

I think that I'd make a few of the guys that I have been fixed up with wish they were blind, and I've been fixed up with a few that I wish that I was blind...

No, Internet datng is better than blind dates. Larger pool.

#45 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

I think from experience On-line dating sites, match.com, matchmaker, americansingles or whatever are a waste of time in many respects, granted I have made a few very good friends which are email or chat buddies to this day, but in respects to the dating part... that's very questionable for many of them which are on there, at least in this general area.

One thing also which I have found to be a major turn off is when you see people who have been on some of the sites for well over a year and are on several different sites at the same time and I can't help but wonder what in the heck are they looking for??? Are they gold diggers? Are they that picky?

I've also been told by a few that there are two kinds of people which are on those sites.. those which are serious about finding someone to date, spend time with and see where it takes them and those which are continously dating different people and nothing more....

So needless to say I don't waste my time with those sites any longer.... yet for those which have experienced good things and met someone special from one of them.. that's wonderful!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users