• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Problem with moderator

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

#91 DiveWrite

DiveWrite

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:8+

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the link re sock puppets! I had no knowledge of that particular piece of slang, even though I've seen the situation numerous times. It reminds me of a recent article about cellphone users who are often talking to nobody but yap away anyway in public spaces to look more important. When I'm done being annoyed, I usually pity these people. How small does your world-look need to be for that?

Nice response, Walter. Since I know where you store your dive computer, I think I know how to take your posts. ;)
"Don't obsess on the past. There's a reason the windshield is bigger than the rearview mirror."

"I don't know you except for the way a traveler knows a traveler." -- "Pacific Street," HEM

#92 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:01 AM

Stop staring at my computer!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#93 ryvor

ryvor

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Tech Deep. Finishing up Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:People actually log their dives? :P

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:34 PM

This thread reminds me a story.

Once upon a time there lived a troll under a bridge. One day while doing what trolls do under bridges, a man surfaces from beneath the water and begins swimming to shore. As he begins to doff his equipment at the shore, the troll approaches him and starts telling him how he's 'such a nit picker' and 'know it all'. Well the man is taken aback by these comments but says nothing and goes on his way. He was a little disturbed by the comments so he goes and visits a friend and tells him what happened. His friend offers to help by mediating between the two. So the man and his friend return to the bridge and find the troll there again. Trolling as usual. The friend tells the troll that he's here to help and mediate between the two. So the troll starts ranting and raving about nit picking and know-it-all-ism's. The friend asks 'does anyone else feel the same?' The troll says 'YES!' and starts pulling out sock puppets and says 'my friend Foofy here thinks the exact same thing, isn't that right Foofy?' Foofy responds 'of course i do'. The man's friend says 'i think i have a solution to this problem.' CRUNCH! The man's friend says 'that was tasty' let's go have a beer. So the Man and the Dragon go off and get a beer.

Moral of the story: Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and quite tasty.

#94 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

This thread reminds me a story.

Once upon a time there lived a troll under a bridge. One day while doing what trolls do under bridges, a man surfaces from beneath the water and begins swimming to shore. As he begins to doff his equipment at the shore, the troll approaches him and starts telling him how he's 'such a nit picker' and 'know it all'. Well the man is taken aback by these comments but says nothing and goes on his way. He was a little disturbed by the comments so he goes and visits a friend and tells him what happened. His friend offers to help by mediating between the two. So the man and his friend return to the bridge and find the troll there again. Trolling as usual. The friend tells the troll that he's here to help and mediate between the two. So the troll starts ranting and raving about nit picking and know-it-all-ism's. The friend asks 'does anyone else feel the same?' The troll says 'YES!' and starts pulling out sock puppets and says 'my friend Foofy here thinks the exact same thing, isn't that right Foofy?' Foofy responds 'of course i do'. The man's friend says 'i think i have a solution to this problem.' CRUNCH! The man's friend says 'that was tasty' let's go have a beer. So the Man and the Dragon go off and get a beer.

Moral of the story: Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and quite tasty.

LOLOLOLOL!

EXCEPTIONAL! Love the story! Thanks!

#95 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:25 PM

LOL! I shoulda seen it coming, but you caught me off guard. I love the moral, I think I've seen it somewhere before........hmmmmm.....

DSSW,

WWW™

#96 Kriterian

Kriterian

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water (1990 and again in July 2004), Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:5 required for OW

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:46 PM

I just got to get my opinions of Walter off my chest.

Sure he's a fount of diving wisdom, you can see it all over scubaboard and here on SingleDivers. But there are two things that bug me:

1) He calls all the ladies "Darlin' without getting slapped or sued. I just don't understand how one man can be so charmin' as to get away with it, except maybe Bogey or Bond.

B) In his handsome forum avatar, the one with the mischievous grin and pirate doo-rag, there is a mysterious arm. Who does the arm belong too? Is he/she slapping him on the back for another day of good diving or something more sinister? Maybe it's the one person that didn't like being called "darlin" and he had her "cropped" out of the picture.

Anyways, glad to know the troll was taken care of. They burn my grits as my grandmother likes to say when she's not cursing my grandfather.

#97 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:38 AM

1) He calls all the ladies "Darlin' without getting slapped or sued. I just don't understand how one man can be so charmin' as to get away with it, except maybe Bogey or Bond.

B) In his handsome forum avatar

To answer your comments:
#1 - Well he can get away with it beacause he is that charming and handsome, much like Mr. Bond. (Girl Secret - We let the charming ones call us things that a lesser man would be killed over). :anna:

#2 - Yes, we just love his avetar. That mischievous grin and pirate doo-rag holds extra appeal. It is a bad boy/gentleman mix that drives us gals wild..

Sorry gals for giving away some of our secrets.. But I couldn't let him just keep wondering. That would'nt be lady like.... :birthday:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#98 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:45 AM

Dang it Colleen I am going to have to turn you in for telling our secrets....

I'm form the South I don't mind being called Darlin.... that Hello Darlin' just turns me to mush
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#99 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,637 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

In the south EVERY lady's second name is 'darlin' or 'darling'. And I've seen quite a few men from other places also do well by extending the courtesy. Usually by the time you are a young man you know if you are 'qualified' to call women 'darlin' and as Gis_gals says...get away with it! :birthday:

p.s. 'darlin' or 'darling' is not just for women...most men in my life are also called 'darling'! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#100 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:26 AM

Now the other side of the story........

Yes, I was born in the South and have lived all over the world....but my major relatives (those I know) were from the NC area....as was my mother....born in VA.

When I last lived in PA.....I was working at a tech school as a recruiter and had two incidences occur that just floored me.

One was where one day the big boss walks in my office. He closes the door and sits down and I can tell it isnt good. Apparently, his secretary....a lady my senior in age.....had filed a formal SEXUAL HARRASSMENT complaint against me for calling her MA'ME. He said he knew I was from the South and that is what we do and he had calmed her down but from now on.....call her MS. ******* and I did.

The second incident....was at the same school. Every morning I came in the school I would pass an office where there were 3 young ladies (age range 26) working and I would say.....Good morning ladies.

One of them came in my office one day, closed the door and sat down. AGAIN I knew this wasnt going to be good. She said she too knew I was from the South and was being polite in my book, but her and the others wished that I would no longer call them ladies. I thanked her for coming to me directly (she knew why) and after that I just came in and walked straight to my office and said hello to no one.

If being called a lady, darlin, sweetie....yada yada...bugs you. My advice would be to stay out of the South.

rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#101 DiveWrite

DiveWrite

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:8+

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:43 AM

You know, I may complain about my job, but every day I'm glad I work in a place where nobody gets wound up about things like this. Rich, you can lump me in with the ladies any day you please. I know who I am. ;-) Then again, I live in the south. It may be the freaky Florida version of the south, but it's still the south.

But you can't make me drink sweet tea. Yick!
"Don't obsess on the past. There's a reason the windshield is bigger than the rearview mirror."

"I don't know you except for the way a traveler knows a traveler." -- "Pacific Street," HEM

#102 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:07 AM

In his handsome forum avatar, the one with the mischievous grin and pirate doo-rag, there is a mysterious arm. Who does the arm belong too? Is he/she slapping him on the back for another day of good diving or something more sinister?

That's Augie's hand. Augie is 6' 3" tall and 280 lbs of muscle. When Augie puts his hand on your shoulder, you assume that's where it belongs. The avatar is from an after dive photo with Augie, Joe and possibly Moo (I haven't looked at the photo in some time). If anyone is interested, I can post the uncropped photo after I get internet service at my new house, probably Wednesday.

Anytime anyone makes their preference clear on what they like to be called, I honor it. You don't like "darlin'," let me know and you won't hear it from me. I cringe when folks drop 2 letters from my name. There's too much misery in life to compound it for anyone intentionally.

DSSW,

WWW™

#103 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

nytime anyone makes their preference clear on what they like to be called, I honor it. You don't like "darlin'," let me know and you won't hear it from me. I cringe when folks drop 2 letters from my name. There's too much misery in life to compound it for anyone intentionally.

I promise never to call you "Alte"
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#104 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:15 AM

Anytime anyone makes their preference clear on what they like to be called, I honor it.    There's too much misery in life to compound it for anyone intentionally.

I agree. Let me know what you prefer to be called and I will honor your request.

Life is hard and it is easy to call some one by the name they prefer.

I have had many people call me Coll and it just drives me nuts..

Edited by gis_gal, 03 June 2005 - 08:16 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#105 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

Agreed....

People always ask me if I prefer "Dave" or "David". I tell them it really doesn't matter... most of my friends call me $#ithead anyway.

:birthday:

-d
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users