• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:45 AM

Just finished having a tiff with the boyfriend over jealously issues (his) and I have to ask the fundamental question - why do people get jealous when they have been given no reason to do so?

Reader's Digest version of events - My boyfriend and I had already agreed that we were not seeing each other this night. I got a call from a friend that I have not seen in almost a year who is from Germany and is only in town for two days asking if I want to meet up for coffee with him and his female friend that he is staying with in town. I say sure. Coffee turns into dinner and drinks (remember, there are three of us and this guy and I have NEVER dated). I get a phone call on my cell while out from my boyfriend just wondering where I am and I tell him. This starts a whole stream of jealousy that I think we have finally resolved (for the most part). When I asked him in his jealous fit if he didn't trust me, his response, "Why? Is there a reason I shouldn't?" Hmmm.

It should be noted that I have never done anything that would in anyway create trust issues. I have always been open and honest and would never cheat or even think of cheating on someone.

Anyhow, back onto topic. Why do people get jealous in relationships? I never have so it is an emotion that I simply don't understand. ;)

Any insight??

#2 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

Why did he say he was jealous?
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#3 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:55 AM

He didn't but what he did ask is if I was "out with an old boyfriend" with much contempt in his voice. Then he got mad because I did not check in with him on the phone later on...

#4 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

One question-did he cheat in a previuos relationship or was he cheated on that has lead him to this point??

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#5 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

Girlfriend, I'm with you.

Why bother being jealous? If the other person is dishonest or is going to do something that is a relationship ender, they're going to do it whether I want them to or not. Jealousy takes up a LOT of energy!

My thought is that jealousy is really rooted in lack of self esteem, lack of confidence, and/or controlling behaviors. Oi!

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:00 PM

One question-did he cheat in a previuos relationship or was he cheated on that has lead him to this point??

DBD

He says no...

#7 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

My thought is that jealousy is really rooted in lack of self esteem, lack of confidence, and/or controlling behaviors. Oi!

Gee, as if that's not scary to the future of this relationship! :o I sure hope not as I really do care about this guy!

#8 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

hmmm......Run?

seriously, since you agreed you weren't going to see each other, did you let him know your plans? Are you at the stage in the relationship where you feel you should tell him your plans (and tell you his plans)?

maybe some of his baggage just got off the plane and the various events reminded him of some previous realtionship where the jealousy was warranted?

Edited by Tolly, 02 June 2005 - 12:06 PM.

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#9 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:05 PM

hmmm......Run?

seriously, since you agreed you weren't going to see each other, did you let him know your plans? Are you at the stage in the relationship where you feel you should tell him your plans (and he his plans)?

The plans were really last minute and shifting but I didn't see a reason to tell him especially since he knew where I was as he got a hold of me on my cell phone. I know I don't expect him to check in with me everywhere he goes but then, of course, I have been accused of being a "bit of a guy" that way :o

#10 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:08 PM

sorry, I editted my previouse post:

maybe some of his baggage just got off the plane and the various events reminded him of some previous realtionship where the jealousy was warranted?

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#11 Maria

Maria

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:10 PM

Usually when a boyfriend is jealous with me it is because something similar happened to him in an old relationship and he ended up getting hurt. Most of them don't want to admit it though. Or it could also be because the guy has done something similar to what he is accusing me of doing. Jealousy is definitely a sign of insecurity, but how it's handled depends on what is causing it. If something happened to him in the past and you are aware of it, then try and be understanding and give him some sort of reassurance. On the other hand, if he is being jealous because he has done something bad and he doesn't want you to do the same to him, that's another story...

Why do relationships have to be so complicated?????
Formerly known as Mahoneme

"You must have dreams of love, you must have desires. Perhaps you are made in such a way that you are afraid of them. Don't be. They are the best things you have."

Hermann Hesse

#12 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:14 PM

I'm with The Sassy One here.... Regardless of baggage from past relationships, jealousy generally indicates a lack of... well, ditto what The Sassy Rabbit said. If you're jealous of the one you're with, then either that person's wrong for you (i.e. s/he is not trustworthy, there are valid reasons for the jealousy, etc.) or you shouldn't be in a relationship (i.e. you're not a trusting person, you have some issues to work out, etc.). Either way, it's a big red flag.

I thought for sure this was one of Dr. Diver's pirate threads with a title like "AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!"

#13 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Why do relationships have to be so complicated?????

Tell me about it!!

#14 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

De ja vu.......

Sometimes, (not always) jealousy can lead to violence, from those we least expect it.

#15 Maria

Maria

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:16 PM

hmmm......Run?

seriously, since you agreed you weren't going to see each other, did you let him know your plans? Are you at the stage in the relationship where you feel you should tell him your plans (and he his plans)?

The plans were really last minute and shifting but I didn't see a reason to tell him especially since he knew where I was as he got a hold of me on my cell phone. I know I don't expect him to check in with me everywhere he goes but then, of course, I have been accused of being a "bit of a guy" that way :o

I usually like to know if my boyfriend has made plans when we decide not to see each other. I also tend to keep him informed of what I'm up to. It's better to avoid unwanted questions.

Edited by mahoneme, 02 June 2005 - 12:37 PM.

Formerly known as Mahoneme

"You must have dreams of love, you must have desires. Perhaps you are made in such a way that you are afraid of them. Don't be. They are the best things you have."

Hermann Hesse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users