• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2004: Oct 1-3 Seafood Festival in North Carolina!

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#46 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:23 PM

Hey girl.....so GOOD...no make that GREAT to have you back!  I've been trying to hold the fort for ya....boy am I glad you are here to relieve me!!!  The place ain't the same with out ya!!!  :D

??? it's not like i was gone anywhere....
i DO have a JOB, you know!!!!!!

i can't believe the angels will be in nc! i finally get to meet all my little "nieces".

prepare to be corrupted, ladies.....Posted Image

Well it seemed like you were gone longer then just the J-O-B time!!! LOL!!! Ok so maybe it wasn't long at all...it just SEEMED long!!!! :o

As for the 'neices' going to NC....yes they have actually been TRAINING for NC...logging dives to get to 40 as well as finishing their Advanced class and Nitrox classes!!

I'm VERY proud of them! They are VERY intelligent, spirited and savvy up and coming divers!! Way to go ladies!!! :o

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#47 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:35 PM

bobby and roy are gonna LOVE this trip.....
and i'm working on my evil twin.....

#48 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:39 PM

bobby and roy are gonna LOVE this trip.....
and i'm working on my evil twin.....

Oh yeah....THAT TOO!!! In fact any man lucky enough to dive or crew this trip will LOVE IT!!!

Ya know TF....YOU have quite the fan club girl!!! :o

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#49 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:57 PM

i can't believe the angels will be in nc! i finally get to meet all my little "nieces".

Well it seemed like you were gone longer then just the J-O-B time!!! LOL!!! Ok so maybe it wasn't long at all...it just SEEMED long!!!! :o

As for the 'neices' going to NC....yes they have actually been TRAINING for NC...logging dives to get to 40 as well as finishing their Advanced class and Nitrox classes!!

I'm VERY proud of them! They are VERY intelligent, spirited and savvy up and coming divers!! Way to go ladies!!! :o

:o Wenchy!
I cannot wait to go! Mostly to see some new faces!

TF- You don't need to worry about us being corrupted..I don't think we need any help in that department :D
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#50 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:25 AM

sweet! it's so on! i already owe wreck_maniac a couple of beers because i don't have a personal pic in my profile yet. <sheesh>! now i'm looking @ sunday when SH & i are going out to rack up some experience for our dive logs...:D i'll have a pic w/ me struggling in a backplate & wing set up. :o

Edited by mischievous, 17 July 2004 - 12:26 AM.

#51 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:22 AM

me? a fan club? then where the hell ARE they????? :dance:

chie....the bp/wings is a lot easier than it looks....you'll love it!

amber..... :thankyou:

so let me rephrase this:

MEN....PREPARE TO BE CORRUPTED!!!

#52 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:29 AM

I can't believe the angels will be in nc! i finally get to meet all my little "nieces".

When you look at this lady's bigger picutre, with the smile, and the coke in the air - you just know that had to have been a beer can in her hand befoe digital editing... :thankyou:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#53 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:32 AM

thanks, trigger! it just looks different. i'm eyeing the 6 lb backplate thinking....hmmm....you want to to do what w/ what!!!! too bad i forgot that amber already moved away from me and can't dive on sunday so she won't be able to laugh as i struggle w/ new gear. darn the luck. she's one step closer to flower gardens while i'm messing w/ the perch that attacked my bikini. yes...the perch literally attacked me underwater. :thankyou: i fortunately ended the dive w/ my modesty intact.

oh, BTW! we're your huge fan club. a part of it anyways. we just don't send you gnarly things in the mail. wait...don't mind me. i might be giving up information that triggerfish fan club pres might rebuke me for later. STOP GIVING AWAY ALL THE SECRETS!!!! i can hear the lashings right now.

#54 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:40 AM

:thankyou:

you are too funny, lil bit! thanks!

and with the steel bp, you won't need any weights once you hit the salt water. don't worry...i'll hold your hand in nc if you want.

#55 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:44 AM

don't worry...i'll hold your hand in nc if you want.

Yeah you and EVERYONE else on the trip!!!! :thankyou:

formerly...

#56 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:46 AM

:dance: woohoo! :thankyou: i owe your ex-roomie 3 beers now...maybe you can pull a few strings for me when the beers go over the double-digits <wink><wink>!

hey...WW! from what it looks like, we're going to have a great, almost ALL girl's weekend for the festival. where are all the boys? jexy...ct...mitch...charlie...all the other wreck penetrators?!? :dance: where are you?

Edited by mischievous, 17 July 2004 - 10:49 AM.

#57 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 11:12 AM

hey...WW! from what it looks like, we're going to have a great, almost ALL girl's weekend for the festival. where are all the boys? jexy...ct...mitch...charlie...all the other wreck penetrators?!? :dance: where are you?

I don't know....I bet you'll pm 'em to see if they're scared of all you gals!!! :thankyou:

And don't forget eagles!!! :dance:

formerly...

#58 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:00 PM

:P BTW, Ladies - you need a goodie bag...

I pciked up 2 nice, empty conch shells on one dive, and got up with them, hung out on the deco line for 10 minutes, approached the boat ladder, and then droped one. You may also find pieces of wreckage that 'd like to take home as artifacts. There's one particular junk pile that WWrench likes to dig thru ( she has a secret spot ), which I hope we do once - just not twice!

Go to the vacuum cleaner section at Walmart and get an Attachment Bag that looks like a small diver's mesh bag. Just the right size to fold and stuff in your BCD, then stuff with as much as you'd want to bring back.

I'll pick up a gallon of liquid laundry bleach and try to find some buckets so we can bleach our finds over night before packing them. Still, plan on laying them out in the sun ASAP after getting home, as they do stink fast - for a few days.
:D
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#59 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:56 AM

Don is right...a goodie bag as we call them is certainly something you'll want. In terms of gear...let me recap what you need vs. what you may want for the trip.

Gear Needed:

1. Standard Scuba Gear (suggest non-split fins in case you need to swim against any current...often slight but sometimes noticeable!)
2. Dive computer....really needed to do multi-level dives for which this is. (We hope to have some Cochran Research Computers to use and we can help you get a computer if you do not have one. But PLEASE use one!)
3. Safety sausage....a BIG one preferably....the small Caribbean styled ones are ok but not very effective should you be quite a distance from the boat in open water.
4. Other above water signaling device....dive alert, whistle or mirror...(use a Dandy Don trick and glue to old cds together...yes finally a use for all those AOL cdis you get...back to back so that you have a 2 sided shiney signaling device. Stick in BC and forget about it...until one day when you might need it!)
5. Boat bag vs. your big travel dive bag or boxes. This will store your immediate gear on the boat in the limited space under your dive tanks.
6. Dry bag..which in this case does not have to be an actual dry bag as it does not get wet in the salon....this keeps your towel and personal stuff together.
7. Gloves...you really NEED gloves for diving NC. Not because the water is cold but becuase you need to protect your hands should you need to touch the wreck. For example...even if you never touch anything when diving...should there be a current on the wreck...by simply pulling yourself along with only a finger hold you can prevent yourself from getting tired trying to swim against the current and you can also save precious air by not trying to swim against the surface. By maintaining a finger hold only...you are not hurting the 'reef' that is growing on the wreck!

Desired Gear:

1. Goodie bag as Don suggested. (A number of different kinds....I'll be happy to post an overview of relative merits of different styles...I know...I have them all!)
2. Dive Knife or scissors. It is rare that you will become entangled on anything however should you these are handy. It is also possible you will want to defend yourself...also rarely needed unless of course you are one of the 'angels'!!! LOL!!! Also can be used as a tool for digging or finding stuff...note this can be hard on knives...I know!!! :teeth:
3. Tools...occassionally you'll see someone go in the water with a small crowbar or hammer. Keep in mind several things...these divers usually 'carry them for weight' rather then really use them. Occassionally they may try to pry something loose and the crowbar is really used like a chistle...(see dive knife above!). Also keep in mind that hurricanes do more damage in one storm then divers do in 40 years of diving including those with hammars and small crowbars/wonderbars. (If you want these...go to Walmart and buy them for a few bucks. When they rust beyond use, throw away and start over!)
4. Lights...no we aren't doing a night dive but lights come in handy when you want to peer into the wreck or look under a ledge! Just be prepared that you'll usually see a big 'ole fish staring back at you!
5. Toys...things like underwater navigation systems, dive scooters etc are fun and have all been used in NC. All have inherent issues/problems so pm me if you have specific questions about using toys on the trip.
6. Doubles...from time to time I get people wanting to know if they can dive 'doubles'. Yes you can but you'll only be allowed 1 set of doubles on the boat or the equivelent of 2 main bottles per diver. You can of course have a pony or stage bottle.
7. Pony or Stage bottle....many divers want to know if they need a pony or stage bottle. My answer is no if you dive with a buddy we all should and if you dive within the limits of your diving skills. For those that typically dive with a 'bail out' bottle as they are sometimes called...then they are within your skill and normal diving experience and you may wish to bring yours here as well. As in most diving...the redundancy is nice but not manditory. (Check with the airlines if you have any questions about traveling with them....OR check with Dandy Don as he travels with his all the time on airplanes.)
8. Spearguns...although some classify as a toy...I opted to put them into their own category. Spearfishing is allowed in NC. If you desire to spearfish or flounder gig you will need to let me know so it can be arranged on the trip. Not all of our dives will accomodate spearfishing. Spearfishermen/women need to adhere to special safety and courtesy rules for which I'll cover with anyone who thinks they want to hunt on the trip. And of course anyone hunting will be asked to share their catch with the group for the group bbq and sushi on the dock!
9. Underwater signaling device...tank banger, metal clasp etc. This allows you to signal to other divers that you found a cool underwater creature or just to get your dive buddies attention!
10. Jon Lines...these are lines or straps that have a clasp or hook type of device attached to them that you can hook onto the assist line that is at about 20ft under the boat to do your safety stops. Sometimes everyone is doing their safety stop at the same time and its crowded so being able to 'attach' yourself to the line but still allow some distance is a great idea! Other times we might have some surface surge and so you find yourself going from 20ft to 10ft or less over and over and over again. Not the greatest for a safety stop and in some cases your computer will give you ascent alarms or worse yet...lock out possibly preventing you from diving the second dive. (We will be offering these for sale and we can help you make your own. )
11. Underwater slate...yes sometimes sign language or signalling just doesn't cut! Slates are nice!
12. Cameras...yep both underwater and above!! Got to capture the moment!!!

Well that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I've forgotten something but we can always add it later!

Hope this helps! Kamala

formerly...

#60 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:56 AM

:teeth: BTW, Ladies - you need a goodie bag...

I didn't know you came in a bag Don????

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users