• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tropical Storm Katrina

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

I had lunch with a friend yesterday and she was telling me about her daughters' experience

Her daughter was supposed to start at Tulane this week. All the kids, for all over the US and international as well, started checking into their dorms on Saturday. Apparently, they had enough time to unpack but not enough time to actually take much with them when the evacuation order was given. She told me they were given 30 minutes to get out!

Now, here is the part where God intervened. Her husband was going to drive down from Dallas to New Orleans Thursday and come back Friday, but the AC went out on his car. So, he delayed his trip by a day. If he hadn't been delayed, their daughter and 3 of her friends wouldn't have had a way to evacuate because none of them have a car

As it turns out, my friend had 15 college kids in her house over the weekend!

#62 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:31 AM

It is nice to hear a positive story, finGrabber, amongst all the horrific ones. My heart is broken for all the people who lost their homes and their families in this storm. The people most affected are the poor, who didn't have the means to evacuate and who had very little to begin with.

The visuals are reminiscent of December's tsunami, with entire cities completely washed away. Please, if you can, donate funds to the Red Cross or other reputable charities who can help these folks.

#63 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:50 AM

It is nice to hear a positive story, finGrabber, amongst all the horrific ones. My heart is broken for all the people who lost their homes and their families in this storm. The people most affected are the poor, who didn't have the means to evacuate and who had very little to begin with.

The visuals are reminiscent of December's tsunami, with entire cities completely washed away. Please, if you can, donate funds to the Red Cross or other reputable charities who can help these folks.

Yes,

my friend and her husband have a heart of gold...and so do their daughters

the interesting thing is that she has both boys and girls staying over...all the girls parents have called to thank them, to offer assistance with food and what not...none of the boys parents have called them at all

#64 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:30 PM

I finally took my head out of my books and realized how bad everything is with Katrina. Rice is putting together a volunteer group to help out at the Astrodome and with the food drives this weekend.

Also, we may be taking in students from Tulane. It's just a rumor on campus right now, don't have anything concrete.

Victoria

#65 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:00 PM

I missed out on this thread for a few days. As the news coming in seems to get worse and worse, I can only hope that people escape with their lives and are able to survive the aftermath, even if they lose most of their possessions. Ultimately, objects can be replaced but people can't. What a pity a mandatory evacuation couldn't have been enforced - I thought it had been ordered?

I'm appalled but not altogether surprised at the violence that has sprung up, including against the rescue services. I'm reminded of William Golding's book "Lord of the Flies" about the breakdown of society.

#66 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

Anyway, I changed my avatar. :D Not the best pic, but it was just taken last week. Do I still look like her?!

No - I prefer the earlier one! More mysterious!

#67 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

Both Rice and Texas A&M are supposed to be taking students from Tulane. No word at UT yet.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#68 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

The devastation in Louisiana and Mississippi is tragic. How is it that a country can get a man to the moon and a spacecraft to Mars yet not find a way to get water and food to those without it in the affected areas. This is where government is SUPPOSED to come to the rescue. Of course some advanced preparations (as suggested and requested in pre-impact studies) regarding levee improvements and wetlands protections might have diminished the tragic effects of this natural disaster. It makes my blood boil to think of some of the machinations behind the scenes that led to the reported 44% reduction in the budget of the Louisiana Army Corps of Engineers, the removal of funds for the completion of the levee reinforcements and the disregard for the value of the wetlands as a buffer against such impacts.

I guess the loss of human lives is "trivial" compared to the savings of millions (or even billions) of dollars.

This is one reason I live where I do rather than in a big city like LA. I know where my resources can be obtained should the supply system on the mainland fail. I can obtain freshwater by desalinating sea water, I can hunt deer (or even buffalo if need be) and fish to feed myself.

The big cities have drawn so many in our country and the world into a fragile interdependence on economic systems that can fail at the bat of an eye. To be close to your needs and know how to obtain them is an advantage those in rural areas usually have.

Edited by drbill, 01 September 2005 - 07:35 PM.

#69 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:43 PM

I missed out on this thread for a few days. As the news coming in seems to get worse and worse, I can only hope that people escape with their lives and are able to survive the aftermath, even if they lose most of their possessions. Ultimately, objects can be replaced but people can't. What a pity a mandatory evacuation couldn't have been enforced - I thought it had been ordered?

I'm appalled but not altogether surprised at the violence that has sprung up, including against the rescue services. I'm reminded of William Golding's book "Lord of the Flies" about the breakdown of society.

evacuation was ordered at some point on Saturday. My friend, whom I've mentioned in a previous post, told me that her daughter was given 30 minutes to get out of Tulane. She didn't even have time to pack a bag, though she did grab her laptop!

#70 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:46 AM

Good news! My sister spoke to the last member of my family that we hadn't heard from since Sunday. They made it out of New Orleans and are now heading toward my sisters house in Jacksonville. I don't know all of the details yet, but at least now we are all accounted for and all survived. I can't tell you what a relief that is.

Watching my hometown continue to further deteriorate is heartbreaking. It is hard to explain the connection that New Orleanians have with that city, and to see it descend into anarchy and wonder if (and how) it will ever be rebuilt is gut wrenching. So many families, so many people, so many memories.. so little preparation. Really hard to fathom.

My family is lucky, everyone survived their homes and possessions can be replaced but they are all alive. There are many families in the Gulf coast who cannot say that and my thoughts and prayers are with them.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!!"

#71 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:19 AM

I heard from an undergrad at Rice, that they've already taken in 200 Tulane students. Still don't know about the MBA's yet. I guess I'll find out on Tuesday.

Victoria

#72 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:46 AM

Do I still look like her?!

As a 52-year-old who remembers Julie Christie's early days, I can only offer a one-word response to your question:

BETTER!!! :birthday:

Rick
:cheerleader:

Oh she was so damned beautiful that she'd warm a winter's frost.--Harry Chapin

#73 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

I just read a report about some British kids who've finally been evacuated to safety. They say the worst part was the mindless violence - they grouped together for self-protection, but saw other people being beaten up and in one case shot, for no apparent reason. Absolutely terrifying. Yet when I suggested to a visiting diver here that people were much more dangerous with guns than they would be without, she said she would not be without her gun. How can this circle be broken?

#74 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:06 PM

Criminals will get guns. Making them illegal will not take guns away from criminals.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#75 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:01 PM

I just read a report about some British kids who've finally been evacuated to safety.  They say the worst part was the mindless violence - they grouped together for self-protection, but saw other people being beaten up and in one case shot, for no apparent reason.  Absolutely terrifying.  Yet when I suggested to a visiting diver here that people were much more dangerous with guns than they would be without, she said she would not be without her gun.  How can this circle be broken?

Switzerland has more guns per capita than just about any other country, yet it is one of the safest places in the world. On the other hand, the overwhelming majority of studies have shown that right-to-carry laws do not necessarily increase or decrease crime rate.

I knew a woman in NY City who once repelled a man who broke into her apartment by taking out her gun. The ironic thing is that, had they both been arrested, he'd have received a minimal sentence (even possibly suspended) while she'd have gotten a mandatory one-year sentence, since she wasn't licensed.

Folks can pick their argument and come out swinging.

Rick
:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users