• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tropical Storm Katrina

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#46 leaudaustin

leaudaustin

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:51

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:24 PM

In Oct 2001, there was an article, "Drowning New Orleans," in Scientific American. Here's a really short summary: much of New Orleans is below sea level. If a slow, strong hurricane hits it hard, then it may find itself permanently under 20fsw.

Being rather fond of the place, I'm rather anxiously watching since today the prediction is that Cat 5 Katrina will most probably head directly over NO. :dltears:

Edited by leaudaustin, 28 August 2005 - 02:24 PM.

#47 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:50 PM

Yes, everyone in New Orleans and surrounding areas is bracing for the storm. Hurricane force winds are expected to extend hundreds of miles. Tornadoes are expected several hundred miles away from the eye. Our coastal communities in the Florida Panhandle, already flooded by Hurricane Dennis, awoke this morning to tidal levels 3 feet above normal, so even more flooding. Tonight will be worse, and we are so far away from the hurricane. 15-25 feet waves are already being seen in the Pensacola and Panama City areas. I can't imagine how all the folks in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama must be feeling right now with one of the strongest hurricanes on record heading toward them. I just hope everyone heeded the warnings and evacuated from the coast.

#48 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

I've got a few friends sheltered in the Superdome and a local hotel - a couple of Cousins and an Uncle in the lower Parishes with the Sheriff's department. Their last message out was at 6pm - They'd stopped evacuating and are taking shelter. Said they'd give the family a call when the power returns.
New Orleans sits in a bowl (gumbo bowl of course) between the Mississippi rive and Lake Pontchartrain - plus it's surrounded by oil refineries and petro-chemical plants. I'm hoping for the best but the National Weather Service has basically said -- If you haven't evacuated by now find a shelter, put your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.
On a positive note - I stopped complaining yesterday about living in Iowa - instead of New Orleans. :respect:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#49 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for all the kind thoughts & prayers, all. I've got power but no internet at home now. I'd rather do without than hear about what has happened in Louisiana & Mississippi today. My heart aches for them & they are in my prayers.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#50 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

Marvel!!!! Welcome back sweetie!!! I'm glad to hear and see you're okay....
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#51 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

Marvel! I'm glad to hear that you got through Katrina safe and sound! :whistle:

#52 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:46 PM

I've got a few friends sheltered in the Superdome and a local hotel - a couple of Cousins and an Uncle in the lower Parishes with the Sheriff's department. Their last message out was at 6pm - They'd stopped evacuating and are taking shelter.  Said they'd give the family a call when the power returns.
New Orleans sits in a bowl (gumbo bowl of course) between the Mississippi rive and Lake Pontchartrain - plus it's surrounded by oil refineries and petro-chemical plants. I'm hoping for the best but the National Weather Service has basically said -- If you haven't evacuated by now find a shelter, put your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.

Hey Scuba Hawk...your family is in our prayers (as are everyone else in the storms path)!!! They have been hit hard but even with that you see tales of heroism on the news.

Waiting and praying...keep us informed!!

On a positive note - I stopped complaining yesterday about living in Iowa - instead of New Orleans.  :whistle:

Yes funny how that works!! See you in a few days!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#53 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:12 AM

Just spoke to one of my cousins. (I am originally from New Orleans and most of my family still lives there). Luckily all of my family members survived the storm as most of them evacuated to Texas, but it appears that at least two of their houses are in areas that are under about 15 feet of water. The bridges over Lake Ponchatrain on I-10 have evidently been damaged and/or washed away so there is no way for them to return home even if they wanted to. Another Levee broke last night and is now flooding an area where my Grandmothers home is.

I keep hearing how this is not as bad as expected, but so far, at least for my family, it appears that they may have lost everything. Unreal. But, at least they survived to rebuild!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!!"

#54 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:19 AM

I keep hearing how this is not as bad as expected, but so far, at least for my family, it appears that they may have lost everything.

It could have easily have left tens of thousands dead. I'm sorry they lost everything, but they are alive. That is a blessing.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#55 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:37 AM

I keep hearing how this is not as bad as expected, but so far, at least for my family, it appears that they may have lost everything.

It could have easily have left tens of thousands dead. I'm sorry they lost everything, but they are alive. That is a blessing.

True. I probably could have worded that differently. I'm a bit preoccupied this morning.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!!"

#56 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:39 AM

To all of those with family and friends in the wake area of Katrina, my thoughts and prayers are with you all!!

My ex and son live in coastal Alabama. I was very relieved when she called me last night to tell me they were ok.

The phone lines just became operable, no electricity-maybe several days. Hot temps and and a mess to clean up make for miserable circumstances. Red Cross or FEMA folks were to get ice into the area today. Pictures running on the news- :dltears:

God Speed to those that have suffered!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#57 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

Has anyone heard from Flatwood, Bob?

#58 Maria

Maria

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:09 AM

Marvel! I'm glad to hear you are OK.

Has anyone heard from your relatives yet? I hope everyone is OK. Please keep us posted.
Formerly known as Mahoneme

"You must have dreams of love, you must have desires. Perhaps you are made in such a way that you are afraid of them. Don't be. They are the best things you have."

Hermann Hesse

#59 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

His last post was on Friday. He's probably without electricity and/or internet connection.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#60 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:43 AM

His last post was on Friday. He's probably without electricity and/or internet connection.

I'm hoping, as I'm sure others are as well, that he evacuated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users