• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Friends or Dating service

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 yaj12795

yaj12795

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water- working on Advanced
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:36 AM

Well, to all the single divers out their, how do you find a mate? do you do the blind date from friends and hope they know what you like in a person, or do you just try the online dating service. For myself, all my friends but one is married and they are little or no help, the bar is out, because I do not drink, and only go when I have a date. Man sitting at a bar not drinking looks funny, LOL. Tried the online dating however, much to my surprise, what was to be true and what I was lead to believe were very different indeed. Maybe I'll just starte crashing weddings.. LOL

#2 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:07 PM

I vote for picking up the girls at your local SD HH :o at least you know they like to dive.

Really, anyone can be deceiptful - when you meet them in person, or on line. The online bit probably has more room for stretching some realities over others, but in the end, I think you should keep all of your avenues (and your mind) open and just use an edge of caution until you've gotten a chance to know someone well. There are probably also honest people online too!

#3 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

Well, to all the single divers out their, how do you find a mate? do you do the blind date from friends and hope they know what you like in a person, or do you just try the online dating service. For myself, all my friends but one is married and they are little or no help, the bar is out, because I do not drink, and only go when I have a date. Man sitting at a bar not drinking looks funny, LOL. Tried the online dating however, much to my surprise, what was to be true and what I was lead to believe were very different indeed. Maybe I'll just starte crashing weddings.. LOL

I know this topic has come up elsewhere on this board, not sure where. In a nutshell, online dating is a waste of time and money. I've long since gone back to the old-fashioned method of just getting out and doing different activities where you will come into contact with a wide variety of folks. If I meet some single ladies in the process, fine, if I don't, whatever, I can still enjoy the activity and perhaps make some new friends in the process. My married/coupled friends are too busy with their own lives, I don't really want them to try to "fix me up". If you want to meet women in bars but don't drink, just lick the back of your platinum card and stick it to your forehead.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#4 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

I'm currently reading a book entitled, Freakanomics, by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. One of the subjects that the authors briefly discuss is online dating. They state that dating websites are the most successful subscription-based enterprises on the Internet.

They examined data on information that people include in their ads and level of response to various ads. According to a study of data from Boston and San Diego, the users were considerably richer, taller, skinnier and better looking than the average. Seventy percent of the women listed themselves as "better looking than average," and 24% advertised "very good looks." For men, the numbers were 67% and 21%, respectively. More than 4% of the online users claimed to make more than $200,000/year; fewer than 1% of Internet users really earn that much. Eight percent of the men in the survey admitted to being married, while approximately 4% were "happily married."

For a woman, her looks are the most important criteria for getting responses. However, before all you women out there call us men shallow, keep in mind that a man's income is the most important criteria to attract potential partners.

Caveat emptor.

Rick
:o

Women are like cars: we all want a Ferrari, sometimes want a pickup truck, and end up with a station wagon.
--Tim Allen

#5 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:54 PM

Well Sassy that would require that we actually have an SD Happy Hour sometime in the NE!
Beware of dating services, I once had Great Expectations want to give me a free trial period, I told her I only date women who dive and wouldn't mind living on a sailboat in the tropics. She told me I wasn't being realalistic! :o :lmao:

Edited by Latitude Adjustment, 28 August 2005 - 02:54 PM.

I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#6 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:38 PM

As we all know............."SD.com is NOT a dating service"...........but I have to say - take a trip - show up for a get together - maybe even help out with a get together. Sometimes "IT" happens when you aren't even looking for "IT". :respect: Yes - I am speaking from experience!!!!

Ladies - I have me Latitude Adjustment on a dive trip - and I can't believe the ladies aren't lined up for that boat and the tropics!!!! Ray is a great guy!!!

Gentelmen - I also have met Sassy Rabbit - her laughter can bring a smile to anyones face - she has a super personality tp go with that smile!!

I strongly suggest to all - even if you aren't looking for a mate - just good friends - take a trip - or try a happy hour or event - I made some great friends from the Athens trips and Cozumel trip I did - and I will be diving with several of them soon in FIJI FIJI FIJI!!!!
Known puker

#7 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:51 PM

Yeah yeah it isn't a dating service, but &*(# happens. Yup, you never know what can happen at one of the SD HH or dive days. It may take you sometime to realize you met someone special, but it does happen. They are planning a Mid West HH and dive day. If you are in southern MI you might jsut want to check it out.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:53 PM

And I know a few folks who have helped to do Happy Hours or events and ended up meeting LOTS of great people...ahem...some of them keepers! Anytime you put yourself into contact with people...especially those who share a common interest...the odds go up that you'll meet Mr. or Mrs. Right!!!

So help organize a HH. (Wanna have a great way to approach women without looking like you are approaching them? Just tell them about the great SingleDivers.com Happy Hour near them! They get to meet lots of people in a group setting and who knows...they may decide that they like you!)

Wanna meet men without appearing too forward...help organize a SD event or HH and you'll have contact with LOTS of great people...one whom you may wish to get to know a lot better! :respect:

And Jay...I'd love for YOU to do a HH in your area....if we use one of the pictures from our last NC trip...ALL the gals will see that you are VERY easy on the eye!!! (Sorry but your avatar does not do you justice!) :cool1:

Just remember...although SD is not a dating service...it is a great place for single and buddyless people to hang out!!! And you get to meet people without the pressure of dating...give me a friend anyday that turns romantic! Its too hard to make a friend out of a romantic flash in the pan! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 wtxblaze

wtxblaze

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox,AOW
  • Logged Dives:103

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

Well I haven't heard of a a SD HH out here in west Texa as of yet, but I have tried the online dateing service for awhile now and usally get one date out of it. but since i don't work for the CIA or FBI and don't have any great stories to telll it turns out to be just a dinner for one night and never hear from them again kind or thing. maybe if I wasn't so shy to speak to new ppl, but oh well. What is the ole saying there are plenty of fish in the sea? Guess I need to find the right bait or become a better fisherman. Either way I'll still keep trying all means to find the right one friends, online, the bar every once and awhile, chruch, and the diving events, someone well see thur the shyness one of these days

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:45 PM

Well I haven't heard of a a SD HH out here in west Texa as of yet, but I have tried the online dateing service for awhile now and usally get one date out of it. but since i don't work for the CIA or FBI and don't have any great stories to telll it turns out to be just a dinner for one night and never hear from them again kind or thing. maybe if I wasn't so shy to speak to new ppl, but oh well. What is the ole saying there are plenty of fish in the sea? Guess I need to find the right bait or become a better fisherman. Either way I'll still keep trying all means to find the right one friends, online, the bar every once and awhile, chruch, and the diving events, someone well see thur the shyness one of these days

We've been waiting for someone like you to help us do a West Texas Happy Hour!!! :respect:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:03 AM

I have tried the online dateing service for awhile now and usally get one date out of it. but since i don't work for the CIA or FBI and don't have any great stories to telll it turns out to be just a dinner for one night and never hear from them again kind or thing.

Just be funny and confident.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 Vulture

Vulture

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:54 AM

Ah, where to begin?

Well, moving to a new town where I knew absolutely no one and was hired into a "boss" position, so work friends are a difficult thing. I tried out a few of those online dating services. I never really take myself too seriously and so that is very much reflected in my profiles. :birthday: I just always figured if they can't understand my humor then it really wasn't gonna work out anyway. Just can't quite get myself to say "I like moonlight walks down the beach...", instead I would answer questions like "Tell us something only your best friends would know" with "I'm Batman". So that being said, I have found the dating services to be very frustrating - sometimes worse than a Trendy Bar Scene. :welcome: I have managed to meet several nice people, but nothing that managed to click. So got a few friends out of the deal, but no companions.

I am more settled into the area now and involved in a few activities so am meeting more people - sand Volleyball being the big one, but that season will end here fairly soon (more from darkness rather than temps). :birthday: So hopefully my feeble attemps at online dating will be replaced by real world events and meeting of people. It's more of what I am used to - and there is something utterly irreplaceable about being able to look into someone's eyes.

Edited by Vulture, 29 August 2005 - 07:55 AM.

Things get better everyday you stay alive
then I'm amazed every day that the sun decides to rise
every minute, every hour, is another chance to change
life is beautiful & terrible & strange.
- "Take Me Home" by Concrete Blonde

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:29 AM

Ah, where to begin?

Well, moving to a new town where I knew absolutely no one and was hired into a "boss" position, so work friends are a difficult thing. I tried out a few of those online dating services. I never really take myself too seriously and so that is very much reflected in my profiles. :birthday: I just always figured if they can't understand my humor then it really wasn't gonna work out anyway. Just can't quite get myself to say "I like moonlight walks down the beach...", instead I would answer questions like "Tell us something only your best friends would know" with "I'm Batman". So that being said, I have found the dating services to be very frustrating - sometimes worse than a Trendy Bar Scene. :welcome: I have managed to meet several nice people, but nothing that managed to click. So got a few friends out of the deal, but no companions.

I am more settled into the area now and involved in a few activities so am meeting more people - sand Volleyball being the big one, but that season will end here fairly soon (more from darkness rather than temps). :( So hopefully my feeble attemps at online dating will be replaced by real world events and meeting of people. It's more of what I am used to - and there is something utterly irreplaceable about being able to look into someone's eyes.

Well here's to looking into your eyes in about a month! :birthday: (In NC that is with all the other SDers! )

formerly...

#14 yaj12795

yaj12795

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water- working on Advanced
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:41 AM

Well, know we hit on something everyone likes to talk about. Some SD.com folks and I have dove together, The, NC dive was great fun....love to plan an event anyone coming to dive in cold ass MI. water anytime soon..LOL.... I will be going back to GA. in 3 to 4 weeks to do the finish on sis. house maybe I'll be heading south at a good time to do a meat and great with the crew, and I never go out looking for a date, the powers that be seem to make it happen in their own time.. Life is short so do what comes first the rest will happen in good time... and hay Wench what do you think about ENERJAY for a new SD.com name....

#15 Vulture

Vulture

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:18 PM

Well here's to looking into your eyes in about a month!  :)  (In NC that is with all the other SDers! )

:hiya: Awww... shucks WW.

:dance: NC Here I come! Well, in a few more weeks...

Ok, now I've got a Peter Gabriel song running thru my head. Pardon me while I go off and humm a few bars.

Edited by Vulture, 29 August 2005 - 12:18 PM.

Things get better everyday you stay alive
then I'm amazed every day that the sun decides to rise
every minute, every hour, is another chance to change
life is beautiful & terrible & strange.
- "Take Me Home" by Concrete Blonde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users