• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I've been using the online dating sites...

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#31 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:11 PM

Out of curiosity, I am wondering how many folks on this site have actually met for diving and dating?

I ask this with also looking at the planned trips which look wonderful but are not always available logistically. I have also tried match and yahoo and have met divers though in each case I found them to be rather inexperienced and not truly interested in anything but very limited tropical diving. I joined SD this summer after diving with a woman that I met through yahoo who had AOW but who scared me as perhaps someone that really wasn't comfortable being underwater. Although she did have her own gear, and it was quality stuff at that, I literally had to put all of it together for her and then after 10 minutes, and only 10-15' of depth, she wanted to come out anyway.

After that last experience I joined SD and have not been successful in meeting ladies to dive with from here either although I have enjoyed the technical discussions as well as the trip reports. I have written to several on here in private to meet up for local dives when I knew I was going to be in an area close to them, but it is rare to even get a response much less an opportunity to meet and dive. In fact, these lack of responses have given me the impression that most of the ladies on here enjoy the social internet comradery but never really dive unless it is on a planned SD trip. Is it the intention of SD to only meet each other at planned events? Have I made an unfair observation based upon too few a sampling? I am curious because I really do like the concept behind SD as well as the forums and planned events.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:34 PM

Hi ScubaGypsy!

Let me answer some of your questions as the site's founder.

1. We are not a dating site and as such many of our participants both male and female enjoy that people can get together to go diving or socialize in a public and open non-threatening forum that participating in an SD events provides.
2. Statistically when people meet each other doing something that they love with no romantic strings attached...we are often more ourselves and therefore tend to attract and be attractive to people for the things that are important...who we are and not who we want someone to think that we are.
3. If your idea is to meet lots of great new dive buddies and yes some of them women then joining into an SD event is the BEST way to do that. If you want to have an event in your area...offer to help put one together or suggest one and I'm sure that people will be glad to get one going. (Look at what all the nutty Texans have done...and we have LOTS of new members and prospects from working BTS last year.)
4. If you do plan to be in someone's backyard for work or fun in the next 30 days and want to go diving...start a thread such as this one! and you'll be amazed at how many members will offer to dive with you and get to know you. Not all of them will be women but I beleive that everytime someone has posted that they will be someplace in the next month, they have had SD members offer to dive with them...have a Happy Hour or get together with them. And remember there is safety in numbers. The more people who get together the more fun it is and the SAFER it is. We are so concerned about internet & dating safety that we have an entire forum dedicated to it called Safety when meeting people online and on dive trips!
5. You can help your chances of members wanting to meet you by allowing them to get to know you a bit beforehand by posting on the site and filling out your profile, posting a picture, etc.
6. You will be amazed at the generosity of the membership on our site if you get to know us and in return we'll want to get to know you better too.

And lastly...as a female and the founder of the site...I am always suspicious of someone who privately contacts me who has no picture posted, has never posted on the site, and wants to meet me or go diving with me. I will usually offer that they hook up at a local Happy Hour and other safe, non-threatening locales. If they never make an attempt to do these things then I assume the worst. Right or wrong.

I hope this helps you and other members who aren't quite sure how SD.com works. We have worked very hard to create an environment where the focus is FUN and DIVING. The rest takes care of itself if it is meant to be.

Case in point...one of our divers had planned a trip with someone and at the last minute it fell thru. The person got cold feet going off diving with them at the last minute. Had that member planned to do this 'meet and dive' trip as an SD trip if they had cancelled the inviting member's vacation would not have been messed up; the invitee might not of cancelled since they could have fallen back on the knowledge that if it was a big mistake there would be 15-20 more single people there and of course both parties would of had extra safety and perhaps more fun intermingling with a group of OTHER Single and Buddyless Divers!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:37 PM

Oh yes...a number of people have actually found 'soul mates' on SD trips and events...EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT DESIGNED FOR THAT!!!

But hey...put that many dynamic fun loving scubadiving singles together and you are bound to have a few souls and hearts connect!

Now off to find my true love...:birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#34 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

Out of curiosity, I am wondering how many folks on this site have actually met for diving and dating?

I ask this with also looking at the planned trips which look wonderful but are not always available logistically. I have also tried match and yahoo and have met divers though in each case I found them to be rather inexperienced and not truly interested in anything but very limited tropical diving. I joined SD this summer after diving with a woman that I met through yahoo who had AOW but who scared me as perhaps someone that really wasn't comfortable being underwater. Although she did have her own gear, and it was quality stuff at that, I literally had to put all of it together for her and then after 10 minutes, and only 10-15' of depth, she wanted to come out anyway.

After that last experience I joined SD and have not been successful in meeting ladies to dive with from here either although I have enjoyed the technical discussions as well as the trip reports. I have written to several on here in private to meet up for local dives when I knew I was going to be in an area close to them, but it is rare to even get a response much less an opportunity to meet and dive. In fact, these lack of responses have given me the impression that most of the ladies on here enjoy the social internet comradery but never really dive unless it is on a planned SD trip. Is it the intention of SD to only meet each other at planned events? Have I made an unfair observation based upon too few a sampling? I am curious because I really do like the concept behind SD as well as the forums and planned events.

To answer your question of how many folks have met here, I know of at least 4 prospective couples and that is all I will say.

The fundamental purpose of this website was to bring single/buddyless divers together for fun and fellowship. If their encounters at an event or a dive trip or via a PM led to something, Kudos to them. That being said, this site does not oppoerate as a dating site or as a dating service.

I have been on two trips this summer with this site. While I met some great ladies, it wasn't my purpose or my plan to see anything develop from these encounters, it was to go diving. If that is your goal, I do not know what else to say other than this place may not be right for you.

If however you enjoy the discussion, information, and comraderie found here, then by all means participate as you see fit. If a HH or trip work out for you in the future, who knows what may happen. If it is a relationship of some kind, then congratulations and best of luck!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#35 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

I've had the honor of meeting and diving with the Wench and a few others up here in the PNW. But no dating, not what I'm here for.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#36 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

I've had the honor of meeting and diving with the Wench and a few others up here in the PNW. But no dating, not what I'm here for.

I've have also met and dove with several people from SD, both at SD events and individually. It was never my intention to use this site to date, but to make new friends with whom I could dive. Mission Accomplished! :fish2:

#37 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:35 PM

I have made a lot of good friend - diving buddies - both male and female from this site - from many different states - Colorado, Florida, Mississippi, NM, CA, AR and of course TEXAS - sign up for a trip - show up for a happy hour - great group of people! AND when you are not really looking - you might just find a buddy you want to hang on to - I just moved 1700 miles to be with my buddy I met on a SD dive trip! (I know - I know - WE AREN'T A DATING SITE!!!!) :clapping:

Edited by Starfish Sandy, 26 September 2005 - 06:36 PM.

Known puker

#38 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:06 PM

from many different states - Colorado, Florida, Mississippi, NM, CA, AR and of course TEXAS

Ah, one of my own Sisters, forgetting all about me. :dltears:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#39 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:30 AM

from many different states - Colorado, Florida, Mississippi, NM, CA, AR and of course TEXAS

Ah, one of my own Sisters, forgetting all about me. :dltears:

Hawk - I could never forget you - I just forget you are in IOWA! :) You know I will never forget you - especially when the dive master asked ME to move across the boat to even out the weight when we were sitting side by side. (for those of you that haven't seen the Hawk man - he's got to be 6'6 - and I am barely 5'4!!!!) A LITTLE BIT OF TROPICAL STOMPING WENT ON ACROSS THAT BOAT!!! :teeth:

Sorry Hawk - :flower:
Known puker

#40 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:09 AM

Maybe he only needed to shift a small amount of weight?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#41 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:58 AM

Good answer! :flower:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#42 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:05 AM

Good answer! :flower:

EXCELLENT ANSWER WALTER!!!! :teeth:
Known puker

#43 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:38 PM

I met too many of the female gender that were golddiggers, cheaters, and psychos.

I kept most of those away by stating in my profile that I was a poor starving marine biologist and underwater videographer in search of a SCUBA diving sugar momma. Hmmm... come to think of it, I kept almost all the women on-line away.

Hehe! That's a good one! Mind if I borrow it? :lmao:

After several months on a prominent dating service (which shall go unnamed; they have enough exposure from their incessant advertising), not to mention previous relationships, I've come to one inescapable conclusion:

With the exception of the ones I am related to, all of the women in my life are or have been nothing but trouble.

Of course, they'd undoubtedly say the same thing of me... :lmao:

I say a pox on all the online dating services. Let's just have a huge SD party in Georgia and be done with it. :teeth:

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#44 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:50 AM

I met too many of the female gender that were golddiggers, cheaters, and psychos.

I kept most of those away by stating in my profile that I was a poor starving marine biologist and underwater videographer in search of a SCUBA diving sugar momma. Hmmm... come to think of it, I kept almost all the women on-line away.

Hehe! That's a good one! Mind if I borrow it? :D

After several months on a prominent dating service (which shall go unnamed; they have enough exposure from their incessant advertising), not to mention previous relationships, I've come to one inescapable conclusion:

With the exception of the ones I am related to, all of the women in my life are or have been nothing but trouble.

Of course, they'd undoubtedly say the same thing of me... :P

I say a pox on all the online dating services. Let's just have a huge SD party in Georgia and be done with it. :teeth:

Cheers!

Jim

Ahhh, but Jim, we're already having a great SD get together right here in Texas! Come on over and meet the crew! Just a hop, skip and a jump away...

Stillhouse Hollow Lake, TX October 14-16

I'm quite sure I'm not the only SD who would be interested in makin' your aquaintance! :P

Twinklez

Edited by Twinklez, 07 October 2005 - 12:51 AM.

#45 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:58 AM

cable TV episode "In Search of the Elusive Black Sea Bass."

Bill...you finished it? I didn't know...would love to see it!

Tina- Actually that was my first TV show on the giant sea bass. It's been airing for about two-three years now. I've done several more episodes on the bass recently, but they are not "story-based," just footage from recent dives.

I'm working on a new BSB one that will be released on DVD later this year (longer than my show length of 30 min). Actually editing much of the footage this week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users