• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Soulmates? Dream or Reality?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

OTOH...who wants to pass up Mr. or Ms. Right? Trick is knowing before you are committed past the point of no return.

Who indeed?!

Interesting comment, George, and one that might make a rather interesting thread. :lmao:

-Indeed it is an interesting topic for a new thread. Great idea Annasea. -SD Staff

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:16 PM

I wish I could add to this thread...but I'll certainly be watching for some insight. Maybe some of our Married or Spoken For but buddyless divers can help out in this arena?

Eagerly awaiting our usual insightful advice on this one!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:22 PM

Clearly my judgment is poor in this area so I will not be providing any advice... :lmao:

#4 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:28 PM

Apparently not one of my strengths either!!! :lmao:
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#5 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:15 PM

You can add me to that list... doesn't mean I'm going to stop looking anytime soon... :lmao:

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#6 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:17 PM

Well now, if your saying your judgement is poor or not a strength because you are currently unattached but once were, you may have better insight from the other side of the mirror. He/she had to have been at Mr./Mrs. right then..............then things change....perspectives, attitudes, emotions, they are all open to change for one reason or another. I don't think it's a weakness or clouded judgement at all. What ever made that person "right" then in all likelyhood someone with those characteristics now may be "right" now.
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#7 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

I would say that having no restraining order would be a good start.

For me, there are several things to consider:
- Perhaps the most important is having the same values and goals. Make sure you're headed in the same direction.
- Often overlooked is having a similar "family model." I'll give you a personal example. My ex-wife came from a huge Italian/Irish/Catholic lower-middle class, blue-collar family where her dad was home every day at 4:00 to have dinner with the whole crew, and nothing was more important than them enjoying every day together. I came from a small Eastern Seaboard/Midwestern upper-middle class, white-collar family where both of my parents believed in sacrificing whatever you had to do today for a better tomorrow. Needless to say, these are fundamentally incompatible as my ex-wife and I saw the meaning of family in two separate lights.
- Be able to easily communicate in similar ways. My current fiance and I can talk about absolutely anything in a safe, non-threatening way.
- Chemistry, chemistry, chemistry.
- Timing. You could find someone who is a great mesh with you but if he/she is not in the same place in life as you, there is no chance that you're going to make it work.
- Ability to be emotionally present and available.
- Similar hobbies and interests.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#8 casematic

casematic

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Cert Level:master
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

and I've got a big 'goose-egg' for a track record so any advise I would give would surely be un-informed .....

#9 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

Here are some questions I'm curious to find answers to:

1. How do you define soul mate?

2. Is it realistic to believe this sense of *souldom* will last forever?

3. The world is so big, and most people's circles are so small in relation. What are the chances that you'll find this person in the first place?

4. People often say they don't know exactly how they knew their mate was their soul mate; they just did. That's OK when things are good, but what happens if that relationship ends? Does that mean they were wrong?

5. Do you think you may have encountered your soul mate in the past, but due to assorted reasons, you lost out because at that time in your life, you weren't prepared to take the plunge?

6. You've met someone who is absolutely perfect for you in every way except one*. Do you reject them as your potential soul mate because of that one relatively minor 'flaw'?

7. Can you have more than one soul mate in a lifetime? Or are others just people that you feel merely compatible with?

8. How many people honestly believe they will ever find their soul mate?

* Hmmm... another interesting thread topic perhaps -- Deal Breakers! :lmao:

Edited by annasea, 19 October 2005 - 03:33 PM.

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:34 PM

* Hmmm... another interesting thread topic perhaps -- Deal Breakers!

Girl you are on a roll...this one is yours to start...so hop to it! :lmao:

Ok this thread is now started! Check it out here!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:08 PM

I've met a few terrific women - with just one fatal flaw. Usually something like:

They don't like me
They're married
They're in a serious relationship
They're gay
They don't like me, they're in a serious relationship and they're gay SO doesn't like me either.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

3. The world is so big, and most people's circles are so small in relation. What are the chances that you'll find this person in the first place?

4. People often say they don't know exactly how they knew their mate was their soul mate; they just did. That's OK when things are good, but what happens if that relationship ends? Does that mean they were wrong?

5. Do you think you may have encountered your soul mate in the past, but due to assorted reasons, you lost out because at that time in your life, you weren't prepared to take the plunge?

6. You've met someone who is absolutely perfect for you in every way except one*. Do you reject them as your potential soul mate because of that one relatively minor 'flaw'?

7. Can you have more than one soul mate in a lifetime? Or are others just people that you feel merely compatible with?

* Hmmm... another interesting thread topic perhaps -- Deal Breakers! :lmao:

Loaded question.

#1. Do I believe in soulmates? Not sure, I know I have met at least two women with whom I have clicked so well that it is possible. In both cases they already had significant others in the picture. One's fiance was from Sweden and they continued to date while separated and eventually got married. The other was already married, but her husband not only approved of our relationship, he initiated it. I might add it lasted off-and-on for some 20+ years.

What might have made these relationships so good and fulfilling? I've thought about that over the years. One thought is that because they already had firm commitments to their respective SO's, I could love them fully... without fear of "losing" them because they weren't "mine" to begin with.

#2. I know that in the second case we still consider one another to be close although the physical side of the relationship ended about 10 years ago and we don't see one another very often. And I still care deeply for several of the women I had good relationships with years ago.

#3. About one in 5 billion. However, the Internet's reach into far off places on the globe may have improved that.

#4. Things were still good after the physical component of the relationships ended. Keep in mind that the physical/romantic side of a relationship is only one small part of a real interaction (although a very fun part IMHO!!!).

#5. Possibly.

#6. To reject someone who is very compatible based on a single "flaw" (unless it truly is a fatal one) would be absurd IMHO.

#7. Yes, I think so.

#8. Make that plural (soulmates). I believe that love is something that evolves between two people over time with shared experiences and good communication. I don't believe in love at first sight (although, as a scientist, I'm willing to be disproved on that one!). I do believe that individuals can be strongly attracted to one another upon first meeting, but a meaningful love takes time to develop in my opinion. Of course nothing wrong with that initial attraction (and wherever it might lead if both parties are open to it).

Love evolves over time through the tests the relationship offers. I certainly don't expect a "soulmate" or just a normal "mate" to be always agreeable and perfect in my eyes. Heck, I won't be in hers. Part of the evolution of love is through respecting the partner both for who they are and for how they deal with any conflict that naturally arises within the relationship.

#13 tdtexas

tdtexas

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:152 Bluewater, not counting lake/quarry dives

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

"Sol-Mate" --- Is that not a Mexican Beer??? :P :thankyou: :sweetie:
Live Life To The Fullest, ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!!!

Tom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
No, his mind is not for rent to any god or govement. Alway hopeful yet discontent. He knows changes are never permanent, but change is.

N. Peart

#14 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:49 PM

Great topic!
I can only answer from my own experience. I had a "relationship" if you will a few months ago with someone I had grown to trust. Trust is not my strong suit! But after having a heated discussion where I felt my integrity was attacked, I shut down.
Is that a flaw? Perhaps. But if the other person make no great effort to mend the fence, then there is nothing you can do.

I just started dating someone who has been a wonderful friend to me for almost a year. He wasnt someone I would have considered dating, but he doesnt have high demands and understands my trust issues.

I think a soul mate is somone you know you have to be with. It is really a connection that is felt mentally, physically and emotionally. These relationships are rare, so when you find it, DO NOT RUN! (Trust me on this one!)

Was that Dr. Phil enough? lol

Edited by Mishelle, 19 October 2005 - 05:49 PM.

:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#15 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

Problematic for me, since I don't have a soul.

See answer to question 1 above.

I've had several relationships; if I can do it, anyone can. It's just that you have to make up your mind to make the attempt, IMO.

Yes. They were wrong about the nature of relationships, and their ability to be/stay in one.

Setting aside the lack of a soul, the answer might be "it's possible".

Yes. If it's annoying now, it will grow to unbearable in the future if it cannot be changed--and most people never change.

Most people seem to think that life is a series of relationships that happen over time...this can also be within the dynamic of only two people over the course of their lives as well.

As many as you can think of--and possibly more.

Platypusman
..I put the MONO in monotreme!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users