• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#151 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:57 PM

Tony, that is so cool! Thanks for sharing. I recall after taking my first Fish ID course and then going on a survey dive at Sunnyside Beach, no less, HEY where'd all these fish come from!!?? It's amazing how your focus changes and creatures materialize! :P

DrBill - I'm putting my thinking cap back on!!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#152 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:06 PM

OK a marque group like angelfish.....then my gut says Butterflyfish!???? Perhaps the Scythe specifically?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#153 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:30 PM

OK a marque group like angelfish.....then my gut says Butterflyfish!???? Perhaps the Scythe specifically?

Have you been peeking, Dive Girl? I hope so! Sigh.

http://www.starthrow...tterflyfish.htm

http://www.starthrow...tterflyfish.htm

Correctimundo! The scythe butterflyfish is said to have arrived in our waters during an El Nino event perhaps in the 60's or 70's. It is incredible when you swim along in cold temperate kelp forests and see these beautiful "tropicals" swim by. Although they are usually fairly skittish, I had a great dive with at least eight of them last summer. They appeared to be courting so perhaps that is why they tolerated... or, more likely, just ignored me!

Okay, Dive Girl, the ball is back in your court... next clue?

#154 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:30 AM

COOL!! :lmao:

CREATURE FEATURE 32

Often times divers miss these creatures as they are tiny, but their erradic bumblebee-style movements can give them away to observant divers. These creatures move along using their pectoral fins as legs to crawl over rocks and seaweed. They have a spiny body with a pointed snout and tend to "curl" up their bodies (they are sooo cute). Reproduction Females are oviparous and tend to lay their eggs in crevices or empty barnacle shells. The male will guard the eggs. The parents will aid in the hatching of the eggs by picking them up in their mouths and releasing the larvae into the water column.

#155 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:38 AM

Hmmm... some of our smaller kelpfish species? Certainly not the giant kelpfish!

#156 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:41 AM

nope :lmao:

#157 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:42 AM

nope  :lmao:

I guess bumblebee-like movements wouldn't apply. Hmmm. Time to put my thinking cap on... or was it my sleeping cap?

Edited by drbill, 04 November 2005 - 12:43 AM.

#158 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

Or a "night cap" like cmt489 and I prefer!

#159 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:48 AM

Grunt Sculpin?

#160 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:54 AM

You got it! Tag, you're it!! :lmao:

#161 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:21 AM

CREATURE FEATURE 33

One of the tiniest families of fishes on this planet, this family contains but a single known species. A highly modified creature of which very little is known, this creature is most closely related to the various gunnels, pricklebacks and wolfishes. Not unexpectedly, because of its remarkable thread-thin form, no fossilized "creatures" have yet been unearthed.

An observant diver might notice this rarely seen creature swimming with snake-like undulations of its pencil-lead thick body.

I have only seen this creature once in over 500 dives all in this creature's environs.

#162 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:28 AM

ok gcbryan - need a hint! Um where were these 500 dives!??? :birthday: Really good one by the way!! I am in wonder!

#163 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:34 AM

Is it the Quillfish (Ptilichthys goodei)?

#164 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:48 AM

I think Dr. Bill's got it. Either a Quillfish or an Oarfish (Regalecus glesne), but the oarfish has a thicker body.

Edited by drdiver, 04 November 2005 - 10:49 AM.

There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#165 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:16 PM

You guys got it...Quilfish.

Dive_Girl the dives were here in the great PNW:)

Dr. Bill, I guess you're up...next creature?

Gray

Edited by gcbryan, 04 November 2005 - 01:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users