• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#136 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:56 PM

Anglerfish

#137 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:03 AM

Good answer :welcome: , but not the sea creature I'm looking for, however, the anglerfish does carry a highly modified dorsal fin spine affixed to the tip of its snout. At the end of this spine, it mounts an appropriate lure. Interestingly I found out that most anglerfish don't get very large and may grow only to the size of a baby's fist - the sea creature I am looking for can grow up to almost 3' in length. Also, think "very broad, depressed heads."
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#138 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

Yep, got to incorporate all the clues. I'll try frogfish or toadfish then. Not familiar enough with them to know what ones might reach that size though.

#139 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:38 PM

Getting sooooo much CLOSER!!!! :teeth:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#140 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

Getting sooooo much CLOSER!!!! :teeth:

Sigh, but not close enough... the story of my life!

#141 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:11 PM

sounds like a batfish to me

#142 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:17 PM

Stargazer or monkfish?

#143 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:35 PM

Woo-hoo the ever beautiful MONKFISH!!!

And more info to make your head go dizzy (and yes, you'll see all the names each of you posted, so you were all technically "right" for most of the portions of the clue): Anglerfish is a common name for the 200+ species that comprise the bony fish order Lophiiformes. They are for the most part deep-water fishes, although there are some anglerfish families that have shallow-water representatives, and one family, the frogfishes (Family Antennariidae), occurs only in shallow water. Examples of other anglerfish families that have some shallow water species are the monkfish or goosefish, (Family Lophiidae) and the batfishes (Family Ogcocephalidae). These families also have deep water representatives. The deep-sea mid-water anglerfishes belong to the suborder Ceratioidei and are usually referred to as ceratioids.

#144 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:40 PM

I've heard monkfish are quite tasty as well.

Next clue:

CREATURE FEATURE 31

This species can be found in some temperate waters, but when kelp forest divers encounter it they may think they've been transported to the tropics... until they check their temperature gauge. The reason it can be seen within the depth limits for recreational in soCal is that in the tropics it is actually a deeper water species, but lives closer to the surface in our region since the water temperatures are similar to its preference. If you were in need of a good lawn mowing, you might use the tool that is referenced in its common name.

#145 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:07 PM

Gotta be a Snapper.

(monkfish are VERY good, Dr. Bill--I have this great recipe for them wrapped in bacon with a beurre sauce over them. Yummy)
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#146 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:30 PM

Aren't snappers another name (the common "food" fish name) for rockfish? If so, they are prolific in our cold waters - so I don't think of them as tropical - or am I all sorts of messed up here....? :welcome:

#147 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:21 PM

No, they're not snappers... unless they find some little invert to eat. Think of the groups that really typify the tropics in many people's eyes (or minds).

#148 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

well, yellowtail snapper is one of the most common fish in tropical waters and snapper is a great brand of lawnmower, so I gotta think some more here. Another good one, Dr. Bill!

Edited by drdiver, 02 November 2005 - 07:27 PM.

There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#149 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

Yep, I've filmed (and eaten) a number of yellowtail snapper in my life. Had forgotten about the Snapper lawnmowers... heck, ever since I moved away from the midwest and east in the late 1960's I haven't had to worry about mowing any lawns!

This one is a member of what might constitute a "marquee" group of species. It is emblematic of the tropics along with such groups as the angelfish.

Edited by drbill, 02 November 2005 - 07:44 PM.

#150 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:33 PM

CREATURE FEATURE 29

pumping you for info...

It looks like a removed heart right down to its shiny (*cough cough hint hint*) reddish/pinkish coloring and the regular pumping motion bringing food in one siphon and out another. Although resembling an extracted heart, these sea creatures actually belong to the "phylum of the largest brains".

I saw some of these last night and I said "Hey, thats one of those shiny orange heart-looking-tunicate things I read about". Unfortunately, my dive buddy only heard "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle" and wasn't too impressed. It was nice to connect the answer to real life. Please keep them comiing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users