• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#256 ddierolf

ddierolf

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:19 PM

Gulp... it's my turn

Creature Feature 44

It's a colonial cnidarian of purplish color found on sand and mud bottoms with its bulb stuck into the bottom

Ummm would that be the artist formerly know as Prince Dr Bill???

Which end is up?

#257 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

How about a Christmas Tree Coral?

Wow... this one is still stumping the stars!

:-D Hawk!! Help!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#258 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

Another set of clues: if you were a young guy, you wouldn't want to be called this... but if you were a young girl, you might appreciate a young boy giving you one!

#259 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

a PANSY! Ok, that's not it, I'll keep looking!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#260 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:24 PM

It can't be a Rose anenome can it? Those attach to rocks instead of digging a bulb into the sand right? And the whole blinding predators has me thrown for a loop!

#261 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:11 PM

a PANSY! Ok, that's not it, I'll keep looking!

Hey, you got that clue right... now just complete it!!!

#262 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

you are working my mini-biology brain into over drive! :evilgrin:

#263 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

drbill - the answer was a Sea Pansy, correct? Looks like we lost the post of your newest critter we were researching. Could you repost your clues? I am in need of a sea critter challenge!!

:bam:

#264 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

without seeing Bill's previous clues, I'm guessing that the "creature" in question is some sort of kelp... (based, at least, on what I remember of the clues provided...)
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#265 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

You have a better memory than me then David. But see I'm old and water logged.....lol drbill - where are you??

#266 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

OMG... you actually think I can remember anything from over a week ago? I don't even have a clue what creature I was thinking of, much less what the clues were. I was off in Washington EDC for Jim's funeral, which was like being in another world... come to think of it, it is another world.

I felt totally validated when one of the other pallbearers began talking to me. He is a senior partner in the firm that just won the $640 million lawsuit against the company that makes Blackberries. He said he wished he'd followed his passion like I have instead of remaining stuck in his law practice most of his life. I never had a chance to ask him what his passion was.

If only I could remember what creature it was... I think my memory was wiperd out along with SD's.

Wait a minute... the wonders of randomly firing neurons. Speaking of which I stayed with Jim's GF in WDC. I kept trying to think of the name of the girl from her college that I dated my senior year. We poured through her college's face book without success. Then at 2:15 Tues morning I awoke with her name!

Now I've got it... the clues were something like this:

Creature Feature 45

You may have had close encounters with this "creature" if you have done any of the following:

1. had a beer today
2. had ice cream
3. brushed your teeth
4. baked a cake
5. frosted the cake
6. shampoo'ed your hair
7. read a newspaper, magazine or book
8. had a salad with dressing
9. painted your home

PS- I wasn't teasing, I couldn't remember what it was when I started writing this post but then the nerves started firing

#267 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:59 PM

OK I think this is it. This is a sea pansy, Renilla renifonnis. I have to admit I googled this. It really had me intregued.

Posted Image

sea pansy, fleshy, leaf-shaped colony of marine organisms belonging to the genus Renilla in the same phylum as the jellyfish. The colony consists of a stalk formed by a large organism called a primary polyp (see polyp and medusa polyp) that is thrust into soft bottom material; the upper part of the stalk is composed of several kinds of secondary polyps. Sea pansies are handsome creatures; the reddish to purple upper stalk is studded with white polyps and is brilliantly luminescent. The colonies occur in the warmer regions of the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. Sea pansies are classified in the phylum Cnidaria, class Anthozoa, order Pennatulacea.

So did I get it? :whistle:

If this realy goes into a beer I think I need to wash my mouth out with rum!!

#268 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:04 AM

:whistle: Piz - it was a Sea Pansy. The clues in the post right above yours are for a new sea critter drbill is trying to stump us with! DavidEvans has put in a clue. Help us out!!??

Yeah!

#269 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:16 AM

:whistle: Piz - it was a Sea Pansy. The clues in the post right above yours are for a new sea critter drbill is trying to stump us with! DavidEvans has put in a clue. Help us out!!??

Yeah!

Hmmm OK now I feel like a twit!! :cool1: I went back and had a look and you are right this was answered (by you I might add) I feel like such a muppet :diver:

Ok so where is the new "creature"? I can see drbill's clues but not the origonal post.

#270 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:26 AM

LOL You are NOT a twit! Because of the lossage of the last week of posts, it's likely you picked up his last clue and responded before seeing my response! Besides your answer was way my detailed including a coolio pick - weird looking critter! Since drbill's post was lost, I asked him to repost. His helped us out by posting from memory a list of numbered clues.

Now I've got it... the clues were something like this:

You may have had close encounters with this "creature" if you have done any of the following:

1. had a beer today
2. had ice cream
3. brushed your teeth
4. baked a cake
5. frosted the cake
6. shampoo'ed your hair
7. read a newspaper, magazine or book
8. had a salad with dressing
9. painted your home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users