• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#271 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:53 AM

Actually I think DavidEvans has it right. Kelp is used for a lot of that stuff. Most of the stuff in drbills list uses alginates which come from some kelps. I'm not real sure about the beer or the newspapers though. I've never put kelp in my beer. Chilli works well though. :whistle:

#272 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:32 AM

I guess we'll just have to give David the credit for that answer. although I was thinking of giant kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) since it is (increasingly was) harvested in southern California for those "porpoises." Beer was always one of my favorite uses of sodium alginate, and printer's ink is pretty important too.

Your turn to "clue us in," David.

#273 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

Ok here's a shot. Hopefully I've got my facts in order here...

Creature Feature 46

When I was born I couldn't decide what I wanted to be when I grew up, but one day I came across a beautiful lady living in an elaborate palace surrounded by guards... I knew then that I wanted to be her husband! But alas, when I entered her home, I discovered that I was only one of many of her mates - I had become a part of her harem of consorts! Still, she took wonderful care of us.

That is, until recently... she was tragically killed!

As you might imagine (and despite our being heartbroken) all of us guys were keenly interested in her will. It reads as follows..

"To the largest and strongest of my consorts: to you I leave my mansion, and everything in it, including all of my other mates! All that is required of you to execute this, my last will and testament, is to undergo a sex change operation!"

What a crazy old lady!

Who am I?

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#274 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:52 AM

:whistle: :D :cool1:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#275 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:59 PM

Hmmm... if I'm not mistaken there are a number of polyandrous sequential hermaphrodites in the marine world. Of course they are less common than polygynous sequential hermaphrodites.

Can you further qualify this?

#276 David Evans

David Evans

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:10 AM

Hmmm... if I'm not mistaken there are a number of polyandrous sequential hermaphrodites in the marine world. Of course they are less common than polygynous sequential hermaphrodites.

Can you further qualify this?

Bill, while I'd like to pretend I understood any of what you said above :lmao: I will clarify on some of the clues provided, and offer a couple of more.

The clue I felt was a giveaway was that the matron lives in a "guarded palace" - meaning that her home isn't your typical home for a fish... in fact, her home is unique among fish... no other species would even think of living there!

That said, I'll narrow it down further... not only is her home surrounded by armed guards, but it's in warm water, and I believe (but am not certain) she's a resident only of the Pacific.

She's also very pretty, at least in my opinion. :lmao:

If this doesn't narrow it down enough I'll provide more hints tomorrow. :lmao:

-d
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."

#277 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:49 AM

Clownfish?

#278 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:18 AM

I think I know the answer but as I did some research I'm not sure I should offer my conclusions. Are you allowed to do that or do you have to work of memory alone?

Grrr conscience dilemma: research and sound smart or be the silent mysterious type (this doesn't work online) :cool1:

#279 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:34 AM

I think I know the answer but as I did some research I'm not sure I should offer my conclusions. Are you allowed to do that or do you have to work of memory alone?

Research is totally acceptable! That's part of the fun for me! If I knew all these already, I wouldn't be learnig anything and this is one of my favorite threads! :banghead:

Share away! If you get it right, it's your turn to offer then next creature feature! :cool1:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#280 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

David, don't worry if it all sounded "Greek" (with apologies to my Greek friends) to you. I made it all up.

Just kidding. Polyandrous refers to a female who has many male "friends," just like polygynous refers to a male who has many female "friends" (sigh, I'd settle for one). Sequential hermaphrodite refers to an organism which begins life as one sex and changes to the other (vs a synchronous hermaphrodite which may function as eoither at the same time).

I'm still stumped since it is probably a species I have no knowledge of! Good clue though.

#281 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

Clownfish?

Is gcbryan correct?? Great guess!

#282 David Evans

David Evans

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

Gray got it!

We're talking about a clownfish (Amphiprion sp.) - yes, ladies and gents, the star of Finding Nemo!

Clownfish are born "protandrous hermaphrodites" (I had to look that up :banghead: ), meaning that the babies are born un-sexed, and will either remain that way, or will turn into males, or will turn into males AND THEN into females. SO - Nemo was neither a boy nor a girl!

Clownfish make their home in certain anemone species, which serves to protect the clownfish and its family - but as far as I know scientists still don't fully understand the mechanism by which clownfish are able to avoid being killed and eaten by the anemone.

Clownfish live in groups where the largest, most agressive critter is a dominant female, and all others in the group are males that are subservient (and submissive) to her. If there are two females in a group, they will fight to establish dominance and the loser is forced to fend for herself elsewhere...

If the dominant female is killed, the largest and strongest male of the group will change sexes to become a female, and all the other males will move up the chain.

Once the sex change has taken place, it can't be reversed... so once he becomes a she, he's a she for life.

Or, stated differently, all clownfish are males at some point, but only the really, really strong ones ever get to be females! Thought you ladies would like that! :cool1:

So - in the case of "Finding Nemo":

Disney would have you believe that Nemo's (ahem) "fin" was under-developed. If "fin" is a euphemism for his... its... well... umm... "thingy", then they were correct!! ("thingy" being a proper term in marine bio-speak, right Dr. Bill? :verysad: )

So Nemo was a hermaphrodite.

And all the while his daddy was searching for him? You guessed it... daddy was going through a sex change procedure!! So by the time Nemo's daddy found Nemo, he would have been Nemo's MOMMY!

Poor confused kid!

Good call Gray! Please give us your next critter!

#283 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

Yep, "thingie" is the scientific term I use for the "thingie" of any species (even my own "thingie").

Wonder where you found that specific definition of "protandrous." My understanding is that it means "first male," and refers to species which begin life as males and then a percentage transform into females. I think some of the hamlets have devised a better strategy... either be both at once or be able to switch back and forth as needed. You know, you meet a pretty lady at the bar and you become male... or you meet a handsome male and become female.

Must admit "guarded palace" threw me off since I wouldn't consider an anemone to be a palace. I was thinking more in terms of a bower bird's ornate nest, something the female fish created and adorned.

#284 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Creature Feature 47

This creature is amphibious, bears it's young live and on land and is one of the more dangerous predators although often docile and easy to approach.

Although found worldwide it's found congregated in larger numbers in the world's tropical waters usually within recreational diving depths. Both male and female tend to be a little larger in temperate climates.

Mating is rarely observed but this creature is not on the endangered list yet.

Who am I?

#285 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

A Boa?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users