• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Please Don't Shoot Me!!!

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 bahloola

bahloola

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:O/W
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:39 AM

Is it Just me and pls Dont Take this personnaly just Fact Finding and what i have realized. Is the diving community or atleast the online one i have met all Older then i am. Let alone find Someone My age i gotta find someone that likes my hobbies lives in southern cali has time to do things. I got a Feeling i am looking for that needle in the haystack routine. Is there any hope out there for me or should i wait until i get older does it get any easier then.
Life is a pathway
Drive an import and be gentle
Or Drive a Big Truck and take control

#2 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:15 AM

I would say whether or not age matters is up to the individuals involved.

Your life at twenty-three is different than mine. I was still on fast attack submarines at that point in my life and out to sea as often as I was in. I spent most of that time specifically not looking as my schedule would have shot a relationship to you-know-where.

My first serious, long-lasting relationship was with a forty-two year old woman and I was twenty-eight at that time. It lasted for close to four years. The main reason that age tore that one apart is that she and I developed different priorities. Age was not the only culpript, though.

If I were you, I would chill out and wait. Relationships can turn real ugly if you try to force one to happen (I DO know that much from experience.). Relax and discover what you are. Then, you will be ready when you meet that special someone.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#3 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:44 PM

For me, I could not afford to dive when I was your age. I have been interested for as long as I could remember, but geesh, the gear is expensive! And the trips are expensive!! If I lived some place I could dive whenever I wanted I might have started earlier and just rented gear, saved up, whatever. Just relax, have a flinkie, and enjoy hangin' with the old folks, we can be quite entertaining!!!!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#4 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:02 PM

For me, I could not afford to dive when I was your age.  I have been interested for as long as I could remember, but geesh, the gear is expensive!  And the trips are expensive!!  If I lived some place I could dive whenever I wanted I might have started earlier and just rented gear, saved up, whatever.  Just relax, have a flinkie, and enjoy hangin' with the old folks, we can be quite entertaining!!!!

I started Diving in my early-30's, early post-Divorced poor-ish...

Now passing the half-way 50's, more $$$ for gear, and enjoying it more for even Better reasons than that...

Take Home nugget:

In the Final Analysis, Cunning & Olde Age will Defeat Youth & Vigor...However, we DO LOVE to Mentor in the Best Traditions of OUR Elders...

Rock ON!!
:diver:

Norm

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

1 of my Divemasters is about your age as well as 2 of my newest instructors. There are divers your age out there. I predominantly dive with guys who are older as well. It's not a problem and they typically have more "toys" like boats! It's all good! :diver:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:36 PM

Is it Just me and pls Dont Take this personnaly just Fact Finding and what i have realized. Is the diving community or atleast the online one i have met all Older then i am. Let alone find Someone My age i gotta find someone that likes my hobbies lives in southern cali has time to do things. I got a Feeling i am looking for that needle in the haystack routine. Is there any hope out there for  me or should i wait until i get older does it get any easier then.

Make friends with lifeguards. Many are scuba certified and young (late teens - early/mid-20's). I started diving at 13 and then I figured becoming a lifeguard would make me a better diver.

Trace
(Lifeguard and after Dick Clark's job as America's oldest living teenager) :diver:

Edited by TraceMalin, 05 November 2005 - 11:37 PM.

Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#7 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:23 PM

Hey!! Who you callin "Older"?? Ok, so maybe I am old enough to be your mother. :twist: However, there is a huge benefit here for someone of your age. First and foremost, there is a wealth of information and advice from experts here who have years of experience and knowledge that you could learn from. Not only that, but we can party with the best of you 23 year olds. :twist:

All joking aside, it may be as BeachBunny said, because of the expense of diving, maybe many young people just can't afford the trips while going to college and trying to hold down jobs at the same time. We do have some members in your age range, but they are spread through out the country and certainly not the majority. The only way to change that, is for people like yourself to stick around. The younger people who have joined SD won't stay very long if other young people are not active on the board. So give us a chance and maybe you can help draw some of those younger members out of the woodwork. You have nothing to lose and many friendships to gain. :birthday:

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:37 PM

The younger people who have joined SD won't stay very long if other young people are not active on the board. So give us a chance and maybe you can help draw some of those younger members out of the woodwork. You have nothing to lose and many friendships to gain.

Yep...she is right about that! You can help us out alot. In fact we could even create a special section on the site for the younger crowd to hang out in once we get more members in the 18-30 year old range.

We do have a number of divers in that range...many of them college gals from a local program we tapped into in Texas. Spreading the word to local colleges and universities who offer diving programs is a great way to target the age group you are in.

But as ScubaPunk says...we have to have someone in the community active and participating so that other younger divers find someone to connect with!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:29 PM

Two words for bahloola: "Sugar Mama" :birthday:

#10 morris0352

morris0352

Getting started

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:46 PM

Hey

Edited by morris0352, 18 February 2009 - 01:32 PM.

#11 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:34 PM

I've been seeing a "lady" who is actually twice my age.  Walking up and introducing myself to her was probably the best decision I ever made.  She digs the fact that I'm 20 and in decent shape and I love the fact that she's 40 and in awesome shape.  Girls who are a little bit older tend to be a little more stable in their careers and more willing to try out new things.  I have only met a handful of girls who were my age and dove.  Anyways good luck on your search.

Kyle

I knew I liked you right away!

#12 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

With the new Harry Potter movie having underwater action I wonder if we are about to be over run with Junior OW's wearing purple capes and Henderson Gold core wizard hats?
The Harry Potter books got the kids into the librarys, maybe now it will bring new young blood into our sport. Or didn't you want them that young Bahloola?
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#13 mongoose

mongoose

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Training Assistant
  • Logged Dives:110

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:59 AM

From the way you worded your post, it sounds like you 'need' someone. You say things like "I gotta", and "Is there any hope", etc.

Let go, brother... and find yourself first. Forget about meeting anyone, and get on with life. Don't make finding "that special someone" a mission, because in all likelihood... you won't.

Look at it this way. JUST FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT, Let's say that there 100 different types of men, and let's also say that there are 100 types of women. So, the probability of any one man meeting one woman with the right type is about 1 in 10,000. Looking for a relationship to make one happy makes about as much sense as using the state lottery for retirement planning. You might get sex and genuine companionship out of it (the relationship, not the lottery), but happiness... not likely.

However, it's okay to buy a lotto ticket just for the hell of it every once in a while. :blush:

The movies and TV and society in general all have us believing that we're not complete without another person. There's something "wrong" with us that we are constantly needing to fix. We have bad breath. The shoes we have aren't getting the job done. We're lonely. We'll get laid if we buy a Harley. We chase cars, we chase apartments, houses, soulmates, clothes, furniture,... chase, chase, chase. We are constantly getting our hopes up for a miracle, and when it doesn't happen... we think, "darn, what did I do wrong?".

Just let go, brother...if the right lady comes along, that's great... if not, well, that's great too.

Just my 2psi, and I'm probably wrong.
Kerry Thomas

My opinions, philosophy, and outlook on life are mine and, as such, are only a perfect fit for me.

#14 sniperdiver

sniperdiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:20 PM

AMEN Kerry!!!

You are now the great Texas Dali Lama!!!
Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet!

#15 morris0352

morris0352

Getting started

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

However, it's okay to buy a lotto ticket just for the hell of it every once in a while.........Don't make finding "that special someone" a mission, because in all likelihood... you won't.

Edited by morris0352, 18 February 2009 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users