• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tattoos and girls

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#16 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:12 PM

Marvel,

I am happy for you that your daughter came out so great! But, I am certain that the apple didn't fall far from the tree in that case either.

Opinions on the original topic...

I have dated women with unobtrusive tattoos. They don't bother me, neither do they really appeal to me. I guess that I am from the tasteful and meaningful school.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#17 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:43 AM

PS_-thank goodness- post 667- phew!!

I think when I reach 666 posts... I'll throw in the towel and leave it hanging on that number. When I reach #665, I'll change my screen name to "Darth" before posting the next one. That should secure my membership in the "Dark Side Hall of Fame", right? :teeth:

Geez... i thought I spent too much time here! How did you get to 666 before me?

#18 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:47 AM

Tattoos. Don't care much for 'em. Wish I hadn't got the ones I have.

What's wrong with virgin skin, unaffected by ink and needle. Sexy, oh so sexy. But we treat it like it's a coloring book?

#19 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:52 AM

Let's be honest. I think the protest against tattoos is inversely proportional to how good looking the girl is. If she is hot, tasteful or not, not so bad. If the girl is not so hot, the tattoo is more detracting. I think if done well they can be cool. If they are defining of the person, meaning covering large areas, I tend to find myself saying, shame she would be better looking without. I tend to be more attracted to inkless over inked, if I have the choice. But, I think it really does not matter.

If you think a woman is attractive you will generally forgive tattoos or whatever. If you are not attracted, you will tend to probably say the tattoo is a detractor. Really you have no choice when meeting a woman, either they have them or not. Unless they are on display, I tend to be attracted or not before I find out about ink. I think the better question would be, if you are attracted to a woman would finding out they have a tattoo change your mind or feelings? For me, the answer would be no.

G2

#20 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:19 AM

Don't like them as a rule. I certainly won't be getting any.

Having said that -- I've seen some small "accents" that aren't bad. But those massive displays are a big turn off for me.

(BTW this applies to guys & gals)

What happens if you change your mind... I'm told that process really, really hurts.

Edited by DivingGal, 13 May 2004 - 04:20 AM.

Sometimes, you just gotta be

#21 deepsatdiver

deepsatdiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level: Assistant Instructor & Saturation Bell Diver
  • Logged Dives:SCUBA 500+, Surface Supplied 300+ Bell Dives 200+

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:51 AM

Tats are fine as long as they are done "In the Best Possible Taste" (sorry a punch line from a British comedian) :teeth:

I like them as long as they are discreet , half the fun can be finding them :o

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:51 AM

Tattoos are like graffiti on a great work of art. I don't care how well done it is, the body looked better without it.

Tattoos are an absolute deal breaker for me. I have dear friends with tattoos, but friendship is how it will stay. When I see a sweet woman with a tattoo, I'm saddened. It's a shame she had so little confidence in her appearance that she felt she had to mar her skin.

I have similar feelings about piercings, although as Marvel said, they will heal over time, while tattoos merely look worse over time.

Grant,

I'm sure you feel that way, OTOH, you are painting with too broad a brush. I see it quite the opposite. If I'm not attracted to a woman and I discover she has a tattoo, I don't give it much thought. When I am attracted to a woman and discover she has a tattoo, I'm turned off.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:27 AM

i've got a great big one that says "BITE ME" across my butt.

kidding. but i bet everyone would believe it, huh??!!

i have a red headed mermaid on my shoulder (bad choice of placement....oops!) that's based on a picture i found online of a ship's figurehead.

so CP....what, you don't like piercings?? (don't worry, w2.....)

#24 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:47 AM

I have been toying with the idea of getting one for a couple of years now. My only concern is how it will do on my skin. I've heard all the same stories as everyone else about them: dye running, infections etc. and I would hate for the black to turn green over time.
One of my neighbours has all kinds of tats (and piercings) and while I don't particularly care to see ink all over the arms, legs and back, the artwork he has is quite good.

Still considering it.

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#25 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:55 AM

DL, they only turn green if you don't take care of them (i.e. protect in the sun, have it touched up every so often, etc)
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#26 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:13 AM

One of my neighbours has all kinds of tats (and piercings) and while I don't particularly care to see ink all over the arms, legs and back, the artwork he has is quite good.

Find the artwork you like. Have it put on canvas, frame it and hang it on the wall. If you get tired of it, you can swap it out.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#27 SurfnWolf

SurfnWolf

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:16 AM

Just to chime in, I dont have one...never thought about it really, however I have dated a few girls with some small discret ones. I guess its just up to the individual, as long as they arent this huge display of art for everyone to see I guess its ok. I also think a women is more sexy natural, but I wouldnt have a problem if she had a small nicely done tatto.

#28 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:20 AM

DL, they only turn green if you don't take care of them (i.e. protect in the sun, have it touched up every so often, etc)

Good to know. Mine wouldn't have that much black anyway.

DL
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#29 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:52 AM

Tattoos remind me of sailors like Popeye, not beautiful women. I prefer a woman without them but am not turned off by a discrete, tasteful and small tattoo. Body adornment whether by tattooing, piercing, semi-mutilation or just plain jewelry has probably been a human trait since ancient days. The fact that it is shared by so many different cultures and periods indicates such.

I would never get one myself, but I wouldn't mind if a woman had one (as long as she's a diver and meets most of my other qualifications!). Not a "deal breaker."

Dr. Bill

#30 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:14 AM

DL...colored tats loose their pigmentation faster than black ones do. white ones are the least likely to be noticed, but they also virtually disappear as you tan, so what's the point of getting one? i've got a friend that has 3/4 length sleeves and he has to slather sunblock on all the time to protect the work. i think it cost him a couple of grand and he still hasn't gotten all the pigmentation added yet (as much as eight hours a day for many days while the artist worked on him and still not done). as for the pain, major detractor for me as well. my sis (who also got one on the back of her shoulder) told me it felt like a razor slicing her skin, and it's bloody. they wrap your skin after it's done, and it looks like a bloody steak from the butchers. tats on bony parts of your body, ankle-wrist-foot-neck, or around sensitive areas are the most painful. that being said, i always think about the perfect design and decide that i'm going to get it...so i just have it done in henna. i decided if i like it six months later, i'll make it permanent. so far, no tats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users