• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Flirting...

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:56 PM

I've always been curious exactly what flirting is and whether it is all in fun? Or is it a serious aspect to male/female interactions? Is all flirting equal? Do men flirt different than woman? Are women allowed to flirt as much men? And if they do...is it the same as when guys do it?

When a person is friendly to someone is that considered flirting? When you flirt with someone do you necessarily have to like them already or is flirting a type of 'communications sonar' that you send out to see if someone is or could be interested in you?

I am truly interested in other's peoples thoughts on this.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 AliKat

AliKat

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:58 PM

Its something I'm usually way to shy to do :anna:
"

#3 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:08 PM

Well, this is a good question

I think most people flirt to find out just what the other person is thinking/feeling...so, if I say to a guy, "nice wetsuit", and he says "thanks" but nothing else, then I'd think he wasn't really interested

but if he says "you look really good in that wetsuit"...well, I think he might be interested...and just go from there

I don't think it can always be in fun nor is it always welcome...and I do think most women are a little more subtle when it comes to flirting...there's more innuendo with women than men

#4 wtxblaze

wtxblaze

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox,AOW
  • Logged Dives:103

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

Well it has been a long time since I last flirted with a gal. But I use to do it just for fun, I did't have to be interested in her or vice versa. It was fun and it was really fun if she took it well and joined in also. Most of it was just cutting up and word play and maybe a little pokeing fun all in good humor of coarse, and age really didnt come into affect, it didn't matter if they were young or old, just as long as they got a kick out of it too. But that was many years ago and its sad to say but I think I forgot how to now days. I'm going to have to look into that and see if I can change that. :teeth:

#5 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:50 PM

When you flirt with someone do you necessarily have to like them already or is flirting a type of 'communications sonar' that you send out to see if someone is or could be interested in you?

You look really good in that wetsuit.

Platypusman
..we now return to our scheduled grass-skirted mating activities.

#6 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:55 PM

PPM, I think you mean

You look good in that drysuit!

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:58 PM

Flirting? What is that?

Flirting is an interesting topic, WW. I guess I do it (at least women tell me I do, in a very respectful way of course), but I have certain rules. I will only flirt outright with a woman that I'm pretty sure is single and available (whether to me, or just the rest of the world). If she is attached, I will only flirt IF I know her and her SO well and all three of us realize that it is not to be taken seriously. Well if she is with a complete *ssh*le I may be more forthcoming.

One thing I really dislike is when someone comes up to me while I'm with a woman (yes, a rare event... you don't need to tell me) and starts flirting. If the woman has good sense (as most of the ones I'm with do, that's why they're not with me) they either suggest that he stop flirting, or that we walk away.

Because I'm usually uncertain about the status of a woman when I first meet her, I will simply be friendly and open. Of course I'm a terrible poker player, so if I have any "intentions" they usually are obvious. Of course I have nothing but "good" intentions!

Edited by drbill, 09 December 2005 - 09:00 PM.

#8 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:53 PM

Well it has been a long time since I last flirted with a gal. But I use to do it just for fun, I did't have to be interested in her or vice versa. It was fun and it was really fun if she took it well and joined in also. Most of it was just cutting up and word play and maybe a little pokeing fun all in good humor of coarse, and age really didnt come into affect, it didn't matter if they were young or old, just as long as they got a kick out of it too. But that was many years ago and its sad to say but I think I forgot how to now days. I'm going to have to look into that and see if I can change that. :usflag:

Now Barry, I was at Lake Travis with you...remember? I don't think you've forgotten as much as you think you have. :P

#9 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:06 PM

I think most people flirt to find out just what the other person is thinking/feeling...so, if I say to a guy, "nice wetsuit", and he says "thanks" but nothing else, then I'd think he wasn't really interested

but if he says "you look really good in that wetsuit"...well, I think he might be interested...and just go from there

I don't think it can always be in fun nor is it always welcome...and I do think most women are a little more subtle when it comes to flirting...there's more innuendo with women than men

There's part of the problem....someone "thinks" that someone else is doing something for a particular reason!

Because you do it for a particular reason doesn't mean that everybody else is, or most people are, or anybody else is for that matter.

Don't analyze...just enjoy it. If someone's flirtations make you smile, enjoy it. If you find you'd like to flirt back - do it.

Like most things, flirting can fall into two categories...the first being "it is what it is" and the second "it is what you make it." It can be in the first category for the flirt, and the second category for the flirtee; or vice versa. Someone may flirt with me just because they like to see my dimples when I smile. I may chose to interpret that as a romantic interest, but it doesn't mean that's what the flirt intended. On the other hand, the flirt may be intersted and testing the water and I think he's doing it just because that's what he does.

I flirt. I like flirting. I like being flirted with. I DO NOT like flirting that border on rude, obnoxious or the innuendo that I'm lose or easy - I'm not, and that's not flirting....it's just downright tacky!

I am sometimes subtle and sometimes not. Depends on my mood, depends on how I feel my flirtations may be received. Sometimes I flirt because it makes me smile, sometimes because I think it will make someone else smile. Sometimes...rarely, but sometimes I flirt to test the water. Most of the time...I just come right on out and say hello!

The bottom line...enjoy it! Just don't go overboard, and be sure to tell someone if their flirtations make you feel uncomfortable. Sometimes people just don't realize how someone else interprets their words or actions.

That's just my thoughts on the subject and certainly not intended to be imposed on anyone else.

Twinklez

Edited by Twinklez, 09 December 2005 - 11:07 PM.

#10 wtxblaze

wtxblaze

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:30 AM

No I have Back In my good days you would have been laughing and smileing a whole lot more and not worried about your friend that showed up. You would have been alot more red faced and haveing alot more fun.

#11 wtxblaze

wtxblaze

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:41 AM

so would it be appropriate to say....."you look good out of that wetsuit"?
because I have never seen you in one.
besides the other smart remark I made that night? :usflag:

#12 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:41 AM

Kamala,

An interesting question.

I flirt with Donna all the time. That flirting is fun and serious at the same time.

I also will flirt for fun with a lady that is a good friend, I know fairly well, and she knows we are just having fun. She also will know by then that I am really not interested in anything but a good friendship. Usually I will only do this after she initiates a "flirting" relationship. Like I said, it's only in fun and I really do not want anyone to get the wrong idea. I must say that at least half of my good friends are women. Why? Hell, I like women. Why not? Donna isn't jealous and I am not either. Donna is an engineer, a pilot, and now a professor teaching aeronautics, most of the people she works with are men. It is only normal that she will have good friends that are men. Does she flirt? Hell, I don't know, she isn't the flirting type, except I like it when she flirts with me. If she flirted with her friends the same way I flirt with mine, I wouldn't care at all. Does she know I flirt, yes.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:02 AM

Kamala,

An interesting question.

I flirt with Donna all the time. That flirting is fun and serious at the same time.

I also will flirt for fun with a lady that is a good friend, I know fairly well, and she knows we are just having fun. She also will know by then that I am really not interested in anything but a good friendship. Usually I will only do this after she initiates a "flirting" relationship. Like I said, it's only in fun and I really do not want anyone to get the wrong idea. I must say that at least half of my good friends are women. Why? Hell, I like women. Why not? Donna isn't jealous and I am not either. Donna is an engineer, a pilot, and now a professor teaching aeronautics, most of the people she works with are men. It is only normal that she will have good friends that are men. Does she flirt? Hell, I don't know, she isn't the flirting type, except I like it when she flirts with me. If she flirted with her friends the same way I flirt with mine, I wouldn't care at all. Does she know I flirt, yes.

Great insight...I think part of the key is the part about the other party knowing you are having fun and are not interested in anything but a good friendship.

Of course that is not always clear when you are single and flirting in general. And I think it ALL starts off as 'just fun' and perhaps for the person doing the flirting it always stays "just fun"...but how can you tell when the other party isn't receiving it as "just fun" or they begin to take it seriously or worse yet, misunderstand the flirting and read more into it?

Then to keep it really challenging...how do you let someone know that its NOT 'just fun' and that you ARE serious...that is if you really are??? :usflag:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:18 AM

Flirting is the human mating dance. Sometimes it's serious, sometimes it's merely practice. It should always be fun. How do you tell if it's for practice or serious? You don't, not at the start. Flirting will escalate. When it escalates, your flirting partner will eventually put on the brakes if they aren't serious. If you aren't serious, you'll back off. Most flirting is merely practice or feeling out the situation to see if it has potential. Flirting builds sexual tension, if tactfully done, that's a fun feeling.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:29 AM

Damm, Kim has never commented on my wetsuit :usflag: I think women get a lot more practice with the flirting and come back lines than men do.
If you don't know what flirting is you need to come on an SD trip :P
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users